Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Discuss anime here.

moog

Sponsor

lain was pretty cool, and yeah des i agree about gantz. i didnt mind the vamp thing so much because the writing was still mostly solid but the story was kinda dumb for a while. its kind of back on track now though. i think i like it so much because the vernacular is so realistic, and not just standard anime cliches.

i really wish theyd do a season three of the anime (which wasnt that great but meh)

also haruhi is bland to me! I watched it and did not understand why it is so revered as a great anime, someone please explain this to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni

I haven't watched it in a while, but it was the last time I watched any anime. The animation is amazing, the opening song is absolutely pwn, and it's not kiddy at all. This guy moves into a new town, and everything's going swell until he meets these girls who just so happen to all begin to realize that this boy looks like one of their friends that died.. and then all hell breaks loose. It's got murder, blood, nudity that you can't see :)() and it's just overall creepy as shit.

What's interesting about this series, is all the episodes (after the first season) do not connect together. I mean, they do.. but they don't. You'd have to watch to see what I mean. I really like it, and in fact I haven't watched it since halfway through season 2, so I don't know if they eventually finally connected all episodes or not.. in fact, I'm going to download those now.

EDIT: After pasting that Wiki, I just realized that's the game.. http://oldtaku.wordpress.com/2008/04/28 ... u-koro-ni/ There :P

Commodore Whynot":35ucxi34 said:
I wouldn't class the smurfs, or the snorks, or scooby-doo as anime, definately not. They're cartoons. But I don't know what the distinction is between anime and cartoon, they are essentially the same, except one is Japanese! Or is anime just a way of saying "adult cartoon"?
anime = japanese-made cartoon

thats the only definition

just because all jap-made cartoons share a lot of the same characteristics, it doesnt mean that the term defines it as a genre any more than french-made cartoons or canadian-made cartoons are a genre.

it's ...a category maybe

anyway it's been a while since ive seen any anime. i used to watch bleach and naruto for some sadistic reason. then i lost interest entirely. i watched soul eater for a time, and while the animation quality was amazing, i kind of lost interest in it, too, after the 1st season.

saw all of cowboy bebop and samurai champloo, and they're amazing, but wolf's rain is made my the same guy i think and it's garbage outside of art production.

when i was a teen i was really into vampire hunter d (2 movies).

i too saw a lot of pokemon just because it was on in the morning years back. haven't seen a bit of it in probably 8 years though.

deathnote was cool until L died.

reign was trash. aeon flux was kind of neat. theyre by the same artist and the style kinda makes me nauseated.

i watched some yu yu hakusho because my friend loved it but i couldn't pay attention.

(case closed!) conan the detective was a VERY cute show.

lupin the third is amazing. hilarious and tawdry and campy.

moribito: guardian of the spirit is a very nice looking anime. a little slow at times but worth it IMO, very different from most anime. it stars a 30-something-year-old woman, that alone is something very different.

the big O is CRAP UGH SO FRUSTRATING AND PRETENTIOUS

neon genesis evangalion was ... uh, confusing. worth a watch but dont start trying to deconstruct it like the other japfags because it's not worth the effort.

blood+ the series is total crap with some nice animation, but the OAV is actually riveting and has a very cool art style

ghost in the shell, i like pretty much all of it, incl. movies, though it can be fairly pretentious in a political way.

spirited away is amazing. beautiful and whimsical and a little frightening sometimes, like a good fairytale.

princess mononoke is by the same people i think... it's very good but arguably not as good as spirited away.

ninja scroll was really good, very graphic, some scenes make you downright uncomfortable, but it's a good thing.

grave of the fireflies is probably the best anime movie i've ever seen, and it's gut-wrenchingly sad. if you're american, after seeing it, you'll want to walk the trail of tears. it's incredibly poignant in its down-to-earth, terribly-human characteristics and portrayals of trying desperately to make a little life out of absolutely nothing.

afro samurai isn't technically anime as it was american-made, but the art style is reminiscient of cowboy bebop. it's fucking awesome.

code geass is SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, AVOID AVOID WARNING: J-POP NONSENSE

FLCL is hugely entertaining, you have to watch it more than once to appreciate it though, as it's very frenetic and strange

fullmetal alchemist is worth a watch. very j-pop at times but it features some neat original lore.

blue gender was CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPP...

eureka seven was CRAP on a CRAP HANDBAG though the animation is gorgeous

witch hunter robin is CRAP with a cool art style

outlaw star was very entertaining, it was like a more j-popped cowboy bebop IMO

paranoia agent is probably my 2nd most-favorite anime series ever, after cowboy bebop. some of the eps you have to watch twice because the themes and subtleties are hard to pick up on the 1st time thru.

shin-chan, the adult swim version, is really pretty hilarious

super milk-chan show is entertaining in a very self-defeating sort of "WTF LOL JAPAN" way.

trinity blood looked promising on the 1st ep and then TANKED.

BOBOBO-BOBOBOBO is like milk-chan but more on speed laced with lsd.

tenchi muyo! and all its spin offs are not worth your time.

trigun was very entertaining and definitely a classic.

there was this other OAV called like... perfect blue or something, it was about a rock star who falls from the limelight during a blackmailing stalking attempt and is forced to do some horrible shit... gah it was really good, but can't remember the name.

that's all i can think of ATM

I cant watch anime anymore. Theres always loose ends of the story. The two characters you are sure should end up together never do. They never say "I love you." If its sci-fi or action, the ending usually involves lots of swirly lights and something with angel wings. They just dont make sense to me.

The gurls are shmexy though.

moog

Sponsor

also grave of the fireflies was amazing! Everyone puts spirited away on a pedestal (its great but come on) this is better. imo satoshi kon is a much better director than miyazaki. Go watch millenium actress, its awesome as well.

perfect blue

yes it was called this and it was great! i reccommend this too. like i said, satoshi kon is a genious of direction

miyazakis best films imo are porco rosso and princess mononoke. HOWLS MOVING CASTLE WAS CRAP IMO idk see why everyone loves it :/

omfg, I can't believe I forgot about Bastard!.

It's a fucking awesome anime, but it's hugely unfinished. Only, I think, 7 episodes were made. It's so awesome for those 3.5 hours.

mawk

Sponsor

yeah howl's moving castle wasn't very good at all

porco rosso was charming but I wouldn't put it above spirited away

will keep an eye out for grave of the fireflies, though

speaking of miyazaki uh

wth is Ponyo??? I saw posters for it (french posters) a few months back but aside from that I've heard nothing about it, good or bad

im tetsuuya numerra":2eu6dhrj said:
miyazakis best films imo are porco rosso and princess mononoke. HOWLS MOVING CASTLE WAS CRAP IMO idk see why everyone loves it :/
howl's moving castle was alright, i really digged (dug? idk) the late 19th century vibe they had going on there (it felt distinctly european to me) but it's definitely not miyazaki's best work

i liked porco rosso but to me it felt like it didn't have much of a plot. you could tell miyazaki had a lot of fun with it but imo it felt too short or... just lacking in general. the whole "cursed and turned into pig" thing felt like it was never explained and the film overall felt flat to me.

i can't decide between princess mononoke, spirited away, or castle in the sky as my favourite miyazaki movie. they're all great for their own reasons:

-i'm not normally interested in asian culture or history but the idea of the forest guardians really appealed to me for some reason. it's definitely miyazaki's most adult work and this is probably part of the reason i like it so much. admittedly i was a bit hesistant towards it considering i first saw it when i was 10, but i watched it again a few months ago and love it

-spirited away is a great film because it tells a good story and is full of imagination. it's got some of the most interesting character designs and elements i've ever seen, and truly epitomizes what creativity can do with a movie. it's whimsical and fun but also downright scary at times, which as venetia said are things that make a fairytale good

-castle in the sky is a beautiful movie. i'm a HUGE fan of the art style and characters, and considering it was miyazaki's second film it turned out extremely well. the english dub did a terrible job with the two main characters, though, a disappointment if you've watched the japanese version first. that movie has had a really big influence on me, though. it's too bad it's one of miyazaki's rarer films, but you can find a couple good copies of it on vimeo. it's worth watching.

dr. goodlife":2eu6dhrj said:
wth is Ponyo??? I saw posters for it (french posters) a few months back but aside from that I've heard nothing about it, good or bad
idk about this movie. when i first saw the previews for it i didn't think it was going to be any good, but current reviews for it have been mostly positive. it's a more kid-orientated movie, like totoro, and is sort of like miyazaki's version of the little mermaid. (afaik)

it looks too cutesy for me but idk. i'll have to see if i can find a torrent of it or something.

moog

Sponsor

castle in the sky is great i agree with devvy. as for pr idk i guess i just liked it more than sa. as for panyo its really good but the us version was kinda ruined with all the disney so id suggest seeing the jap version, its really well done.

-castle in the sky is a beautiful movie. i'm a HUGE fan of the art style and characters, and considering it was miyazaki's second film it turned out extremely well. the english dub did a terrible job with the two main characters, though, a disappointment if you've watched the japanese version first. that movie has had a really big influence on me, though. it's too bad it's one of miyazaki's rarer films, but you can find a couple good copies of it on vimeo. it's worth watching.

I must agree...

two to three years ago I caught some sort of marathon on CN where they played Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I have to say it was one of my best experiences with anime, I went to bed quite satisfied.

Also, has anybody noticed the parallels between Castle in the Sky and Atlantis the Lost Empire?

I'm watching the second season of Haruhi now, and it is making me rage incredibly hard. The season is fourteen episodes long, and the characters are stuck in a time loop for eight fucking episodes. That's right. Each episode is almost exactly the same except that the characters wear different things. I don't even care if the rest of it is fucking mindblowing, there is no excuse.

edit: THEY WERE STUCK IN A TIME LOOP FOR 600 YEARS BECAUSE THEY HADN'T DONE THEIR HOMEWORK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

This anime is officially garbage.

moog

Sponsor

it was always garbage imo

thanks japan

I dont see how people ever though haruhi was innovative and non-conventional to anime cliches, it was boring when i first watched it and got kind of less appealing as it went along. Just FLCL that shit if you like randominity, at least it follows a strict yet indirect plot

I found the first season of Haruhi entertaining but definitely not the innovative thing everyone makes it out to be. Yuki is the highlight of it for me, but then again, I would like that sort of thing.

Just saw the Kara no Kyoukai finale two nights ago and I'm absolutely blown away. Is anyone else following this fantastic series? If not, you should. It's only 7 episodes long and each episode has phenomenal art production values, particularly in the realm of music (what with Yuki Kajiura composing for it and all). If you haven't seen it yet, you're really missing out.

moog

Sponsor

Man I heard about that from my hxc anime friend, i might just check that out man.

Im currently watching gto though, its great.

kissxsis

dude's mum marries and he gets stepsisters etc etc
look-what-we-have-here.jpg

rikos-very-special-morning-greeting.jpg

take-a-look.jpg

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.