Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMVX officially released in English!

Marcus":383s1ngu said:
Who cares about tilesets?  I can finally use panoramas as maps in my game without breaking them up into 10,000x256 pixel tilesets.
Here here! I wasn't going to bother with VX until I found out that's what is required to use panoramas otherwise. D:

shadow

Sponsor

Zabby":t2ha3wiy said:
I realised after that I followed the rmxp.org mirror rather than going straight to Enterbrain.

I didn't just google it in and download whatever came up, however.

The file mirrored on our server is exactly the same as the one on enterbrain's website. I know because I used wget to download it from our server's terminal, and FreeBSD servers do not carry spyware. You are getting that message because your system is already infected with garbage.

Zabby

My system is not infected with garbage - I run scheduled spyware and antivirus scans every day, which also notify me of and/or block viruses and spyware as they come in. I didn't have any infections until after I downloaded RMVX; as well, that is exactly where the program told me the infection was (ie what program/files the problem was associated with).

I am sure I used the mirror, but if no one else has come across anything, I guess it was just a fluke, or a link accidently followed from somewhere else. I wasn't attacking this site or the server, I was just sending out a warning in case other people encounter this.

shadow

Sponsor

That just seems strange because the file was transferred directly from their website to ours, not through any windows machines. It sounds like a false positive to me.

jamie

I have checked (after ensuring we have the most recent definitions) the archive over with clamav and it has found it to be clean.

Which trojan did it detect and what file was it detected in? What AV software do you use?

Roph

.org's mirror and the original file are identical to the byte and generate the same hashes.

Ergo, your spyware program sucks.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
  • Decent Tilesets
  • Good Database
  • Great Charatersets
  • Updated RGSS
  • Auto Tiles
  • Better Animations
  • looping tiles
  • Quick Events
  • Dungeon Generator
  • Faces and Pictures

Cons:
  • No Fog Engine
  • lack of Hue Changers
  • lack of Opacity Chagers
  • A set # of Map Tiles
  • Unable to Change Font(unless there's a hack)
  • No more Battle Backgrounds :cry:

I like RMXP but I can't get a functioning version to work on my new PC. It's a shame too because I bought the full version ($60 wasted).

The good news is RMVX works great on my new PC (maybe it's a VISTA thing, I don't know). I have the trial version right now; pretty impressed with it so far. Nothing debilitating on it yet. I gotta explore the program some more.

Another (?): When I try to run RMXP on my PC, an error comes up. "Could not locate the trial serial number on the Ntiles server." Something to that effect.

Zalcanthrias":2qpbuf4s said:
I like RMXP but I can't get a functioning version to work on my new PC. It's a shame too because I bought the full version ($60 wasted).

The good news is RMVX works great on my new PC (maybe it's a VISTA thing, I don't know). I have the trial version right now; pretty impressed with it so far. Nothing debilitating on it yet. I gotta explore the program some more.

Another (?): When I try to run RMXP on my PC, an error comes up. "Could not locate the trial serial number on the Ntiles server." Something to that effect.
If you have Vista then there's your problem, Vista and RMXP don't work so well together. I think that's why VX is here now.

anime4mage":3lfo0g2q said:
Pros and Cons

Pros:
  • Decent Tilesets
  • Good Database
  • Great Charatersets
  • Updated RGSS
  • Auto Tiles
  • Better Animations
  • looping tiles
  • Quick Events
  • Dungeon Generator
  • Faces and Pictures

Cons:
  • No Fog Engine
  • lack of Hue Changers
  • lack of Opacity Chagers
  • A set # of Map Tiles
  • Unable to Change Font(unless there's a hack)
  • No more Battle Backgrounds :cry:

Lets leave the opinion out of it, shall we?

Pros
  • Improved Database
  • Improved RGSS Library
  • More Autotiles
  • Improved Animations
  • Looping Map feature returned
  • Quick Events
  • Dungeon Generator
  • Faces and Pictures
  • Dash Feature pre-scripted
  • In-Editor view of Panoramas
  • Parallaxes Returned
  • Vehicles returned

Cons:
  • Fogs removed
  • Third layer removed
  • lack of Hue Changers on all graphics
  • Limited number of map tiles
  • No Upper Layer autotiles
  • No priority setting on Autotiles

khmp

Sponsor

The editor is the same. RGSS is now new and improved RGSS2. Right from the readme:

RGSS2, which is incorporated into RPG Maker VX, has a number of differences from RGSS1, which was included with RPG Maker XP. The main differences are listed below.

[*]The default resolution has been changed from 640×480 to 544×416 and the default frame rate has been changed from 40 to 60. Smooth Mode has been removed.

[*]Double buffering is now used for drawing in Full Screen mode. If your computer meets the recommended specifications, scrolling should be very smooth.

[*]The function that would assume that the program had hung up if the screen had not been refreshed for a long period of time and automatically perform a force quit has been removed. Even if the screen is not refreshed, Windows messages will still be processed normally, so in most cases you can force quit by using Alt+F4 as usual.

[*]It is now possible to easily perform a fade-in or fade-out of the screen. To do this, you use the Graphics.fadeout and Graphics.fadein methods.

[*]It is now possible to get a bitmap image of the current game screen. To do this, you use the Graphics.snap_to_bitmap method.

[*]The tilemap (Tilemap) class has been significantly changed to match the RPGVX map specifications.

[*]It is now possible to use effects such as Blur or Radial Blur with bitmaps (Bitmap).

[*]For sprites (Sprite), a wave effect (similar to a raster scroll effect) is now supported.

[*]By placing font files in the Fonts folder inside the game folder, it is now possible to directly use fonts that are not installed on the system.

[*]Shadow text is now supported for the Font class (Font). A number of the default values were also changed.

[*]It is now possible to change viewport (Viewport) associations after the fact. Sprites and other elements associated with viewports will no longer be automatically freed.

[*]The timing with which the BGM restarts after ME playback has been improved (Audio.me_play).

In addition to the above, a number of other minor changes have been made.

Zabby

This is the last I will say about this, I promise!

My spyware program is pretty good as far as I know, but after reading up a little bit a false positive is the most likely thing that occurred. I am glad your scans found no problems, so I can re-download the trial and no one else should have any problems either.

I am not sure that I am liking RMVX. Has anyone really made a lot of maps or played around a lot yet? I don't find it as intuitive. It almost seems like it is trying to be user friendly, but that it is a bit more bland by doing so.

Howdy Zabby,

Check all the other "RMVX" threads. Lots of opinions abound...

I'm still on the fence (on day 4 of trial).
I like the organization of the event commands & scripts.
Up in the air on the mapping / levels / tileset settings, etc.. I haven't tried to make a full map yet.
I HATE the default tileset. Everything is way too 'square'
Not thrilled about the midget characters
Missing 4-way passability for things like fences, bridges, and objects that could be between tiles.
Haven't figured out if you can make the tilesets bigger. If you can't, I'll whine about that too. Although you won't have to copy objects (tiles) from one set to another to 'mix' tilesets anymore, so that's good.
Database looks neater.
Where'd Game -> Settings go? (have to edit the .ini file now?)

Oh, and I can vouch for the mirror download too. I scanned it with TrendMicro/Enterprise and it's clean.

Be Well

Honestly VX is more of a hassle than it's worth. If you plan on going commercial with your game or if your really into versatile and customized designing, your best bet is to stick with XP.

VX is almost a downgrade 2k and definitely not worth the turn over from XP.

XP all the waay~
XP's RTP graphic is way easier to customize, look nice too.

well, i just thought that it'll be much harder to animate the charsets that are limited to 32x32 in size.

And I don't have Vista in my PC! YAAY!!! 

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.