Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP/VX] Ability Grid

You change the first set, but there's also another set of Grid-to-map settings that you need to set.  After you set

Krysis":3ovh4si1 said:
Grid_One = 1
Grid_Two = 4
Grid_Three = 0
Grid_Four = 0

VariableOne = 1
VariableTwo = 4
VariableThree = 0
VariableFour = 0

You need to scroll down and set

Krysis":3ovh4si1 said:
Grid_One = 1
Grid_Two = 4
Grid_Three = 0
Grid_Four = 0

again.  Let me know if you're still having problems. :thumb:

Krysis

thanks  :smile: do i use the ability point variable for the Variable ID? and for the grid id where would i find it?

Is there a way the Ability Grid can be applied to the current character, and be changed according to the characters class.
Other than what I ask, the Ability Grid is amazing  :thumb: Good work!

I hope this thread is not dead. If not, wouldn't you (or anyone) mind answering my questions:
  • Is it possible to make more than four (4) Ability Grids because my game is going to have more than 4.
  • Is it possible to use EXP instead of AP (wouldn't mind if Level Remover was made - remove level from display and passiveness (I know that it is possible to remove "Lv n" from display)).

Kaimi":19k1pmir said:
I hope this thread is not dead. If not, wouldn't you (or anyone) mind answering my questions:
  • Is it possible to make more than four (4) Ability Grids because my game is going to have more than 4.
  • Is it possible to use EXP instead of AP (wouldn't mind if Level Remover was made - remove level from display and passiveness (I know that it is possible to remove "Lv n" from display)).
No worries - I'm still around.

(Apologies to Kkgimp, but I'm assuming you don't still have that question after 2 years. :x)

Yes, you can have as many ability grids as you'd like. You just have to create a new map for each one.

It's possible to use EXP instead of AP, but it requires some variable work. You'd have to record an actor's EXP into a variable and then check for changes to see if it's gone up or down. Or it depends on whether or not you want to "spend" experience instead of leveling up? You're going to have to clarify a bit for me so I know what you're asking. :P

Removing levels and mentions of them (as I believe that's what you're asking) would require script alterations, which I may be able to do. If not I could probably get help from someone. I just need a larger explanation so I'm positive that's what you're asking for.

It's good you're alive Guardian! Yes, EXP would be used instead of AP: I want to make something like Final fantasy X had - but without "Sphere Levels (S.LVLs)". I really would appreciate "Lv Remove". Anyways - thanks for answering!

EDIT: It just came to my mind: would it be possible to have more than one already learned slot - it would look more like FFXII's License Board.

Kaimi":106o85q4 said:
EDIT: It just came to my mind: would it be possible to have more than one already learned slot - it would look more like FFXII's License Board.
You're going to have to clarify what you're asking here. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not too familiar with FFXII's License Board as I haven't played the game in quite some times.

I've added your things to my list of stuff to do. I'll hopefully get around to it soon, but I've been a horrible procrastinator recently. :X

Let's say you've got two licences: [Fire] in upper board and [HP +230] in lower board. There are also available slots around them. You can in the same time learn licences from around [Fire] and [HP +230]!
Also wouldn't you mind making licence display like in FFXII:
"LP nnn | • | [Category of licence, f.e.: Augment or Shields 2]
[What is learned, f.e.: HP +90, or Auron Bracer]
"
nnn: number of licence points needed to acquire licence
*: if star is shown it means that licence is known
Thingie above is something-like display from FF12's licence board.

Ah, the first one is something that you'll be able to do in an updated version I have planned. ;)

Displaying information is more difficult, however. It can all be done through messages (when the player clicks on a tile), but to have it show up as you're passing over it would require scripting that I'm fairly sure I can't do. And I think that would slow down the game a bit, but you'd have to ask someone more experienced in scripting for a definite answer. You're free to make a request in the Script Requests forum, but I'm unfortunately not going to be able to help you with that.

I don't know where to put this but I'm getting an error with the CustomCommand script that Dargor made for the ability grid:

I'm using the ATB Tankentai script and the error occurs every time it's an actor's turn in battle, basically making it impossible to play. Is it just incompatible with that script or is there something else at work here?

Can you give me links to the other scripts you're using? I'm not sure how much I can help, but I'll certainly take a look. :P

Also, thanks for bumping this because I forgot that I wanted to update the tutorial. Hopefully I can get on that later tonight.

Here's a link to the file. The KGC scripts work fine on their own but start to act up when I place this CustomCommands script above them. It causes the menu to continuously gain the same commands (Items, Skills, Status, Party, Passive, Party, Passive, Party, and so on endlessly). So placing it below those scripts stops this but now creates this other problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z3midoo5oz0

Panther":2c0dafbp said:
Ability Grid appears in menu after a switch is turned on - In Dargor's script, named Ability Grid in the demo, search for the method "create_command_window" and replace that whole method with this:
Code:
 def create_command_window

commands = $game_system.menu_commands

if $game_switches[1] == true

$game_system.add_menu_command(commands.size-1, Vocab::AbilityGrid)

end

dargor_vx_ag_menu_create_command_window

end

Just change the number in "$game_switches[1]" to the ID of the switch that you wish to have activate the ability grid menu command.

I'm not understanding this part. I want to be able to access the Ability Grid from the menu, but I can't tell how to do it. I have XP and I'm looking at the demo version's script editor and can't find Ability Grid script or specifically the create_command_window section. If anybody knows where and how to do this, please tell me. I'm lost at the moment.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.