Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP/VX] Ability Grid

RuGeaR

Guardian1239":18hsno3x said:
RuGeaR":18hsno3x said:
Guardian1239":18hsno3x said:
Well, the VX script does this, but if you're using XP, then it won't work.  What you want to do, then, is create three variables.  The first records the player's map id, the second his map x, and the third his map y.  Then, when you use transfer, use these three variables instead of a direct transfer.

umm... can u put up a demo... I'm really noob in variables... thanks! i love this script!
It's really pretty simple, so I don't think it requires a demo.  Just set one variable to Map ID (found in the Other category) and two other variables to the player's Map X and Y.  Then, use a transfer event with those variables:
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/824/67516703yc8.th.png[/img]

I hope that will suffice.  I'm a little too busy at the moment to make a demo.

uhh... okies... i'll try... :smile: i'll ask again if i have any problem... thanks!

RuGeaR

somehow i feel like a total noob... i cant figure out how to do it... i think i would like to request for a demo... i'll wait... :smile:

Guardian1239, I've got a problem: I've got RPG Maker VX. I downloaded demofor VX version but it doesn't work. When I'm starting the game message: "RGSS202E.dll could not be found." and when I'm trying to open it in RPG Maker VX it says something like this: "It was made in an older version of RPG Maker and it might not open." Could you help ne with this?

(Sorry, if my English isn't good at some places because I'm not English or American.)

That's strange.  It sounds like you don't have the VX RTP data for some reason.  I tested it out, and it works fine for me.  Do your other games work, or does the problem only occur with the demo?

RuGeaR

Guardian1239":7opekluh said:
RuGeaR":7opekluh said:
somehow i feel like a total noob... i cant figure out how to do it... i think i would like to request for a demo... i'll wait... :smile:
Would you like it in XP or VX?
owh... i keep forgetting to specify for VX or XP... i want it for VX... thanks! ^_^

Maybe the problem is that, that my version of RPG Maker VX is not in English but in my language (I'm Polish). Maybe translated version is problem?

If you want link to the page from what I've downloaded it just ask.

RuGeaR":1drnsx61 said:
Guardian1239":1drnsx61 said:
RuGeaR":1drnsx61 said:
Would you like it in XP or VX?
owh... i keep forgetting to specify for VX or XP... i want it for VX... thanks! ^_^
I actually made it into another tutorial here.

Kaimi":1drnsx61 said:
Maybe the problem is that, that my version of RPG Maker VX is not in English but in my language (I'm Polish). Maybe translated version is problem?

If you want link to the page from what I've downloaded it just ask.
That's probably the problem, then.  The script is trying to call on the English RTP, but it can't find it, so you come up with an error.  My suggestion would be to either find someone who can translate the script or download the English RTP.

Hey Guardian, is there some way to make more than one path for the player to choose for the actor like lets say Arshes can take path of a Defender, Knight or Paladin????

Sure.  That's easy enough.  Just split the grid, either in the beginning or further down the road.  If you want, you could let the player decide upon entering the grid and then shutting off the other paths after they've made their decision.  Or, you could make a quiz that decides what path the player takes.  It's only limited by your imagination, which is why I prefer event systems over scripts.

What about after a certain amount of tiles or at the end of the path, there'll be a empty grid taht let's the player choose one of the other paths he/she didn't choose. But well need a certain amount of AP to get it to work.
And to make it longer, I think that each level increases AP by 1. And when the player uses 1 AP, the Actors level goes down 1 too. But the "Level"should be replaced with Ability Level, Sphere Level or AP Level, etc. But I think you change the Level Name by script... :huh:

Aluxes (Ability)Level 37 AP: 37
This tile increases your Strength by 20
AP Requirement: 2 Current AP: 37
<Actor uses this tile>
Now Aluxes is (Ability)Level 35 AP:35

I'm not sure what you're saying with that first part, but I can probably explain the complications with the second idea.  Actually, it wouldn't be too hard.  In XP, you need a script change to change the term for "Level", but in VX you can change it in the database.  I'm not sure where to find the vocab in XP, though.  Also, whenever you use an AP, you could reduce the level of the character with the reduction in AP.  The only problem is that the experience curve will reset, so you'll get like 3 AP for each battle at the end of the game.

The First Part was that when the player chooses his path, the toehr two well be locked. Then at the end of the path where he has nothing mroe to unlock, the last tile well look like an empty blue one and ask the player what other proffesion does he want to continue.

The flaw about the about the level and AP thing you said is right. Basically the only thing I can think about is making the AP REquirement hgiher throughout the path.
This tile well increase your Strength by 5
AP Requirement:1 Current AP: 3
[Second Set]
This Tile well increase your Strength by 10
AP Requirement: 3 Current AP: 7
[Third Set]
This Tile well increase your Strength by 20
AP Requirement: 8 Current AP: 4
....Etc....

That tileset looks great Acera!  :thumb:
I think I might use this for one of my games, 100% credit to you  :smile:
I like the curved tiles to, makes it look more realistic instead of it being blocky and all.

That's pretty good, Acera!  I'm not very good at custom graphics, so I just made something that looked decent.  Maybe I'll try making more tilesets for this some time.

Krysis

i really want to use this in my game but i have a problem...
when you said that you have to change the variableID and mapID for the HUD script, what exactly do i change? this
  Grid_One = 1
  Grid_Two = 4
  Grid_Three = 0
  Grid_Four = 0

VariableOne = 1
  VariableTwo = 4
  VariableThree = 0
  VariableFour = 0

or this?
  if $game_map.map_id == Grid_One
    self.contents.draw_text(120, 0, 32, 32, @variableone.to_s, 0)
  else if $game_map.map_id == Grid_Two
    self.contents.draw_text(120, 0, 32, 32, @variabletwo.to_s, 0)
  else if $game_map.map_id == Grid_Three
    self.contents.draw_text(120, 0, 32, 32, @variablethree.to_s, 0)
  else if $game_map.map_id == Grid_Four
    self.contents.draw_text(120, 0, 32, 32, @variablefour.to_s, 0)
please help, and thanks  :lol:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.