Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP/VX] Ability Grid

Guardian1239":2q36bxnl said:
I did the XP version rather quickly, so I'm not surprised, but thanks for pointing those errors out.  I'm currently concentrating on my own game, ...

yeah its understandable maybe just a notice on your main thing so people can change it if it matters a lot to them. I enjoyed the error because I didn't have to get past the lock. although it also sets up another cool thing that could be added where you have extra special ability buffs/increases where you can pass it but you could also be lucky and find a really good buff after unlocking the passable space, or something. :wink: a lot of fun this RM is.

It is, however, very very very laggy.  I suggest creating multiple maps for each grid.

Ex:
-Ch1 Main Grid
  -Ch2 Grid
  -Ch3 Grid

-Ch2 Main Grid
  -Ch1 Grid
  -Ch3 Grid

-Ch3 Main Grid
  -Ch1 Grid
  -Ch2 Grid

Of course, this method interferes with the ability grid menu script, but it will cut down on lag.  ^-^;

I'm a big fan of this system, but if were to want to reset an ability grid (so that an actor can go down a different path if desired), how would I go about implementing this?

What you can do is use something to activate a switch.

-Create an event at the start of the grid that will activate a switch, wait 60 frame (or whatever amount of frames you desire), and turn the switch off.
-In the last page of each tile, make an event that activates when that switch is on.  Make it parallel process.
-Create a conditional branch that asks whether or not the self switch is on.  If it's true, increase the character's AP variable by 1.
-Make the event  turn off the self switch.

It requires an extra event page, but it will work.  Since the switch event is at the start, the character will also be at the start and it will reset everything and give the player back the AP.

LWG

One problem I encountered on the VX demo which you might wanna fix. Whenever you select Ability Grid but then press ESC instead of choosing a character an error occurs:

Script "Ability Grid" Line 191: No method Error occurred.

There's some more too, you might wanna check it out for yourself.

I'm currently trying to contact Dargor, who has made the script.  He's been busy and hasn't had much free time, and I don't know any scripting, so I can't help you at the moment.  I'll let you know when I have more information.

Also, can you specify what else is problematic?  I can't help if I don't know what to fix. :thumb:

Dargor has fixed the script so that the error when hitting cancel instead of selecting a character has been fixed.  Also, he added fades to make the transition seem more natural and also made the script memorize the direction the character is facing both on the original map and the ability grid map.  Also, I fixed the errors in the XP demo.  Enjoy!

This system is wonderful, however, my game needs different grids for each class PER character. Simply put, each character has six grids that can ultimately be his. I have tried assigning the whole "1 => 1" thing to a variable, but I'm afraid I got the syntax wrong because I am a scripting illiterate. I was going to have a variable stand for the map number; and when a class was chosen the variable would be set to that number, thus making the script read the variable as the correct map number pertaining to the character's class.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, but I can't explain it any other way. Please help. Thanks in advance.

What you could do is transfer the player to a general map for that character that would then transfer them to another based on class.  You could incorporate it into the game's system, like make the player walk up to a panel on their general map that would then transfer them for a cool little scene.  Alternatively, you could create different characters for each class, using variables to record information and such.  This would also allow you to change the look of a character based on class, but I'm not sure how you're changing classes.  I have no scripting experience, so I can't help with that.  You'd have to contact Dargor or submit a request in the Script Requests forum if you want help altering the script itself.

i am totally digging the ability grid! i've found some problems though.

first of all, this weird bug:
i use ralph first, and go to his ability grid and do shit, then leave pressing the X button. then i try to do ylva's ability grid, and it flashes her grid on the screen for a moment then goes right back to the menu.
this happens with ralph's grid if i use ylva first.

second, is there a way to do this with KGC's menu customization script as opposed to dargor's? x_x i don't know anything about scripting, myself... but KGC's script is the one already implemented into my game, so i kinda can't use the ability grid system even though i really want to.

finally, if i try to save, this happens:
http://i33.tinypic.com/21aei4x.png[/img]
and the game quits.

great job though, i hope these things can be fixed!

Those were problems I've been having, too, but I was away for a while and hadn't tested it before I left.  I'm going to notify Dargor about the bugs.  I'm not sure about the menu customization compatibility, but I'll mention that, too.

darian":36qmws16 said:
i am totally digging the ability grid! i've found some problems though.

first of all, this weird bug:
i use ralph first, and go to his ability grid and do shit, then leave pressing the X button. then i try to do ylva's ability grid, and it flashes her grid on the screen for a moment then goes right back to the menu.
this happens with ralph's grid if i use ylva first.

second, is there a way to do this with KGC's menu customization script as opposed to dargor's? x_x i don't know anything about scripting, myself... but KGC's script is the one already implemented into my game, so i kinda can't use the ability grid system even though i really want to.

finally, if i try to save, this happens:
http://i33.tinypic.com/21aei4x.png[/img]
and the game quits.

great job though, i hope these things can be fixed!

Oh I'm having those too.. also it doesnt matter whose you go into, you can go into Ralphs go out and try to go back in and it still does it.

I use Dargors though

and yes that save thing happens to me too...

I hope your PM with Dargor gets through or he is able to fix it (Since he seems good at scripting for how old he is @.@

I'm using 4 things from his, with no problems =]

EDIT: also love this, I was figuring out away to make it so the character is not super powerful at half through my game (I plan to make it long)

also...can you make it so you earn points from battles? just a suggestion.

V-Chaos":lq5sihrx said:
You could add an event in the troops menu that awards each character a point after a monster is defeated.  It would take a while, but it should work.

Guardian1239":2fm3vn9a said:
V-Chaos":2fm3vn9a said:
You could add an event in the troops menu that awards each character a point after a monster is defeated.  It would take a while, but it should work.
Ok.. so I take it would be variables or w/e, thanks for the tip

I love this ability grid! Thx a lot for posting this because i'm a big fan of the Sphere Grid from FFX.

I was just wondering if there is a way for the game to remember exactly what spot you were standing on before you leave the ability grid? So that when you go back to the ability grid, you're automatically back in that spot?
(My method for leaving the ability grid is by pushing the X button)

Is it possible to make a script that solves this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Well, the VX script does this, but if you're using XP, then it won't work.  What you want to do, then, is create three variables.  The first records the player's map id, the second his map x, and the third his map y.  Then, when you use transfer, use these three variables instead of a direct transfer.

Very Good TuT!  :thumb:
I now understand 99% of this.
I'm gonna make three starting paths for the Player (ex. Warrior, Alchemist or Defender)
Then there well be a Ability Guardian for the Player to duel along the way,
this keeps the player from easily killing enemies and master everything before their
first quest. And players can take on another profession after a time.

RuGeaR

Guardian1239":37b5cvio said:
Well, the VX script does this, but if you're using XP, then it won't work.  What you want to do, then, is create three variables.  The first records the player's map id, the second his map x, and the third his map y.  Then, when you use transfer, use these three variables instead of a direct transfer.

umm... can u put up a demo... I'm really noob in variables... thanks! i love this script!

RuGeaR":136h7y4h said:
Guardian1239":136h7y4h said:

umm... can u put up a demo... I'm really noob in variables... thanks! i love this script!
It's really pretty simple, so I don't think it requires a demo.  Just set one variable to Map ID (found in the Other category) and two other variables to the player's Map X and Y.  Then, use a transfer event with those variables:
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/824/67516703yc8.th.png[/img]

I hope that will suffice.  I'm a little too busy at the moment to make a demo.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.