Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] - Aerial Linear Motion Battle System AKA Tales Of destiny DC BS - PAUSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aerial Linear Motion Battle System
aka Tales Of destiny Director's cut Battle system

Work IN PROGRESS   -   Penalty counter: 1 - You can ask question, but there is no progress for the moment due to my work on my Castlevania Project. Thx for understanding.

Hi, I'm opening this topic to show my progress on this CBS I'm creating from scratch.

What is it about? Do you remember tales of destiny? Ok well look at Tales of Destiny Director's Cut On PS2, and you'll have what this script will do.
you can watch this video to see how it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnNerW9t9c

So it's going to take me some time and I want to share with you my progress, etc... like a mini blog.

I've started recently, and here is what is done yet:
- Camera/background system. -> see this video: http://rmxp.trebor777.net/rmxp/rmvx_parallax_cbs2.avi
- small HUD but not usable yet.
- Pixel Perfect Sprite Collision

I'm also thinking of the way the sprite are animated.
- Would you prefer something like the minkoff animated battler
or
- a system using RMvX animations systems?

The script is intended to be modular as possible, so edition and modification are easy. I'm not modifying the default battle system... I'm just creating a new Scene_Battle(which overwrites the default_one)... with it's own methods as for Spriteset_Battle. So again edition would be easier.

Why did I choose RMVX ?
- New script structure, much easier to work with.
- New graphical features.
- Had to do something with it :p

The gameplay features will be similar to the one in the game^^

Hope you like this.

If people are curious about the pixel/perfect sprite collision system
Here it is, it can work for RMXP but need some really small edit
Code:
class Sprite

TR_TOL = 0 # transparency tolerance, a pixel which alpha value is below or equal to this value,
                  # will be considered non collidable.

def Sprite.pp_collide(sprite1, sprite2)

left1 = sprite1.x
    left2 = sprite2.x
    right1 = sprite1.x + sprite1.width
    right2 = sprite2.x + sprite2.width
    top1 = sprite1.y
    top2 = sprite2.y
    bottom1 = sprite1.y + sprite1.height
    bottom2 = sprite2.y + sprite2.height

# obvious rejections:
    return false if (bottom1 < top2)
    return false if (top1 > bottom2)
    return false if (right1 < left2)
    return false if (left1 > right2)

# Ok, compute the rectangle of overlap:
    if (bottom1 > bottom2)
      over_bottom = bottom2
    else
      over_bottom = bottom1
    end

if (top1 < top2)
      over_top = top2
    else
      over_top = top1
    end

if (left1 < left2)
      over_left = left2
    else
      over_left = left1
    end

if (right1 > right2)
      over_right = right2
    else
      over_right = right1
    end
    # create the overlapping rectangle
    orect = Rect.new(over_left,over_top,(over_right-over_left).abs,(over_bottom-over_top).abs)

# Now compute starting offsets into both sprites' bitmaps:
    offset1_x = orect.x == left2  ? sprite1.width-orect.width   : 0
    offset1_y = orect.y == top2   ? sprite1.height-orect.height : 0
    offset2_x = orect.x == left1  ? sprite2.width-orect.width   : 0
    offset2_y = orect.y == top1   ? sprite2.height-orect.height : 0

# Now start scanning the whole rectangle of overlap,
    # checking the corresponding pixel of each sprite's
    # bitmap to see if they're both non-zero:
    for i in 0..orect.width
      for j in 0..orect.height
        pix1=sprite1.bitmap.get_pixel(i+offset1_x,j+offset1_y)
        pix2=sprite2.bitmap.get_pixel(i+offset2_x,j+offset2_y)
        return true if pix1.alpha >= TR_TOL and pix2.alpha >= TR_TOL
      end
    end
    # Worst case!  We scanned through the whole rectangle of overlap
    # and couldn't find a single colliding pixel!
    return false
  end
end

Enjoy!

ah naaa it's not because it's an avi, that's because of the codec compression :p i almost use none in xvid :p don't want to loose to much quality:p and it's not that big, is it?

I would definitely like to see this thing finished. Its not too big. most people have better internet than me. It took me little over a week to download 4gb. So yea. my internet sucks ass. This didnt take too long. But seriously, that system is looking pretty sweet.

Yazus

Gleen":jvlmepuk said:
Just a question... (yup, I haven't played any Tales of..shame on me)

Does this support party?
I hope so.

Anyways, Trebor, god damnit this script is great. I can't wait for it to be finished.
I mean "you started it recently" and we have already got a bit of the work done and a video. You are god man.

Ah and i recently beat ToD DC, this will game implement ALL the features?
Will be possible to set the number of frames for each sprite?

And one more thing :P : Are you going to make editing simple? Or damn difficoult (lol)

Gleen yes, it'll support party, sorry the video on youtube doesn't show that. although only one hero is playable at a time, the rest is AI controlled.(but you can switch which one you want to control)

Yazus
- Making it simple as I can, at least much simpler than XMXS script.
- I'll try to have a max of them... I'll mainly respect the combat one, so Aerial stuff, close combat, Hi Ougi...etc... then I'll try to set the swordian system.
Let's say the final purpose is to get something close to ToD DC as much as possible.. as it's one of the best tales of Battle system. I started the game a bit but i don't speak japanese so .. a bit useless. but still can play it to see what i need to do.

Next to-do
-> basic battle processus/structure
-> graphical stuff

This is what I get for not downloading something; your video nearly killed my computer. XP

Anyway, that's damn impressive.  I can't even being to imagine the sort of work that's going into this.  Good luck man.

WAAAHHHH!!! This is awsome!!! I've been waiting for this type of CBS (I never really knew what's it called 'til now. xp)
Keep it up! I'm definitely gonna use it in my game! ^-^

[quote author=
I'm also thinking of the way the sprite are animated.
- Would you prefer something like the minkoff animated battler
or
- a system using RMvX animations systems?
[/quote]

Personallly I think it wiil be more usefull if we use the RMvX animations systems because that way we can produce multiples different animation from one sprite sheets. That way we can have more time to spend on other thing than making huge sprite sheet and also can have betiful animation with timed sound and combat dialog... so it a plus of plus ;)

Dude, you have no idea.  You've solved my biggest problem.  I've been stuck between choosing xp or vx for my game.  What happened was that vx has the ability to use panoramic maps but xp had the lmbs that we really, really wanted.  So know all I have to do is wait patiently.  You are the greatest man.
And if you need any help like sprites or whatever don't hesitate to ask.

The biggest issue still, if i may go off topic slightly. If you want to make a successful Tales-esque game/ Tales fangame, RMXP has better Tileset options and characterset options. The graphics out of battle would always work better with RMXP.    =S

Actually you can use the same sprites as xp in vx you can even change how many frame you want to use, in my vx game im using some RTP style characters from an earlier xp game of mine and i even added a frame, 5 frames instead of xp's default 4.. makes the characters move smoother. i think this would be perfect in vx, especially with its capability to use those panoramic maps.

this looks amazing so far, i cant wait to use the completed version. hope you stick to this and finish it!!
great job!!

Still, I would never be able to cope to the tileset limitations. In my game you go from present based tilesets, to medievela based tilesets. NOT time warping mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.