Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Short Story Writing -- The Results Are Here!!!

Vote for the author of the best story.

• Banette

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Love

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Guardian

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

mawk

Sponsor

So you're asking for a storyline...

And the prize is that you'll use the storyline in your game.

Didn't we outlaw contests that were made to grab resources?

Yes, the writer will get full credit for the game.  I said this before, but since some people do not read through the posts before posting, I'll say it again.  I'm already working on two games of my own, and I am in no need of a storyline.  I'm creating a game based on the winning story in no way to benefit myself, but rather as a prize for the contest.  The true point of this contest is to bring some more people out with real writing skill and to have fun.  I enjoy reading people's story's and helping them improve their skills as a writer.  

EDIT: If you think this is just a scam to get a storyline, so be it.  I know for myself that it's not.  Unfortunately, I can understand where your view is coming from because it happens all too often.  If you don't believe that I've done this to help people, just ask Guardian (I already helped him out with his story).  Next, I'm going to help out Love.

AbyssalLord":2j7ye6gb said:
EDIT: If you think this is just a scam to get a storyline, so be it.  I know for myself that it's not.  Unfortunately, I can understand where your view is coming from because it happens all too often.  If you don't believe that I've done this to help people, just ask Guardian (I already helped him out with his story).
The only story Guardian has relates to magic and is a "religion". You actually helped him with that??

No...he submitted a story for the contest via PM.  It was actually very well written, but I typed up a critique about where he could improve and sent it to him (as I am doing for all contestants). 

mawk

Sponsor

EDIT: If you think this is just a scam to get a storyline, so be it.  I know for myself that it's not.

And being the proprietor of this contest, you surely present an unbiased and impartial viewpoint.

You have openly admitted in the terms of this contest that you will harvest the best storyline the members submit and use it in your game. The prize is that you will use their storyline in your game and put their name in the credits. Tell me how any of that differs from how things would be if you had just asked someone for a storyline?

This differs from me asking them for a storyline because they are receiving full credit for the game.  I will be mentioned nowhere in the credits.  The writer has full rights to the games use, distribution, etc.  If the writer does not like the game, it will not be put in my sig until it is satisfactory to the writer.  In essence, the whole thing is under the writer's jurisdiction, almost as if I had nothing to do with it.  If you did not know about the contest, you would not know I made the game.

In other words, this game will have absolutely nothing to do with me in the final form.  It will be only the writer's game.

@trihan - Ah...but that would be a violation of the rules, would it not?  The rules state that the story must be submitted via PM. 

@BlakAdder - you could make a fanfiction or something like that, but you would lose a lot of points for originality

AbyssalLord: Fair enough, guess I won't enter then. Feel free to comment on the stories I posted in the forum, though. Maybe I'll PM you an entry if I come up with another idea.

@Trihan - Yeah, of course I could take a look at your story when you post it.

@Darkfire - That is true, but in most cases that I have seen, fanfictions lack originality.  It was just a warning (I should have said "might lose a lot of points")

moog

Sponsor

I believe that you have good intentions, but at the same time why not just make an Ad looking for interesting storylines? Because as of right now the prize is not that appealing.

Also, while im on the note of the prize, I dont know why people are already posting stories to you without any knowledge of your prerequisites. You should edit your first post with some kind of proof of your games. Im not doubting you, it just looks highly suspicious that you would make this topic without any proof of your skill.

Finally, the requirements seem a tad vague. Is strong profanity allowed? A certain genre? Doujonushi (sp)? Brush up a little more on that.

Im all for trying to broaden the community so I hope this contest isnt self-centered!

holloway":1enakisq said:
AbyssalLord":1enakisq said:
EDIT: If you think this is just a scam to get a storyline, so be it.  I know for myself that it's not.  Unfortunately, I can understand where your view is coming from because it happens all too often.  If you don't believe that I've done this to help people, just ask Guardian (I already helped him out with his story).
The only story Guardian has relates to magic and is a "religion". You actually helped him with that??
I'm not calling it a religion, and I was wrong to do so originally.  I have written a fantasy story for the contest, so please don't bring this up.  In fact, it'd be appreciated if you didn't bring Guardianism up any more unless it involves helpful criticism.

If you don't want someone to use your story, don't submit it.  This is a way for people to come up with creative stories when they otherwise wouldn't have the ambition to write one.  AbyssalLord is offering to make a game for a story for those who don't have time to make the game themselves.  If they want to make changes, it will at least provide a template for the writer to work from.  He has made it very clear that he will not be using the story for his own benefit.

@Guardian - Thanks Guardian.  At least someone isn't being critical about my motives.

@Moogle - I left out the specifics simply because I don't want to limit the originality of a story.  I personally do not like contests as much when it has to have a specific theme.  I've read many good books with profanity and such; if it adds to the story, there is not problem. 

Just curious, but does the story have to be completely finished? Can it end in a cliffhanger or something as long as it ends that part of the story? So then there could be a part two some other time or something? Or does it have to be a complete story?

Speedpaws":289wrg1g said:
Just curious, but does the story have to be completely finished? Can it end in a cliffhanger or something as long as it ends that part of the story? So then there could be a part two some other time or something? Or does it have to be a complete story?
I think he'd prefer a complete story, but I suppose you could make an unfinished one.  He'll still make the game, if I'm correct, but it'll end like the story will - unfinished.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.