Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP.org - Round Two.

Wyatt":oiq936c6 said:
Sorry but yes it is, since they kinda paid you for it.

You did not pay for the use of the banner. You donated to support the site. The administration is simply thanking you with features. This is not a business.

Hey there. Quick question-- figure this makes more sense than creating a new topic...

Whenever I try to connect to the site for the first time (re-opening my web browser, etcetera), it takes it about 1.5/2 minutes. Once I actually am on it, though, everything works fine.

No other website has this problem, and I'm on a college T1 connection. I'm almost completely sure the problem is on rmxp.org's end, but I wanted to make sure. Is this a known problem, and any idea when it will be fixed? Thanks!

I don't have this problem... And other people would have probably mentioned if they had this problem. If it's not your college then it may be a server between there and here. Though most colleges have firewalls and other security, which have the potential to slow down connection times. But hell, it could be rmxp.org too. But I'm guessing when you say "no other website" you didn't test out the other billions of web sites out there. :P

Despain":a8febcw5 said:
... This is not a business.

RMXP.org Inc.  Right up there with 1-800-Flowers.com. lol

But I'm guessing when you say "no other website" you didn't test out the other billions of web sites out there.

No, I stopped at 38 million. :D

Seriously, though, I've tried clearing my cache and everything. I really have tried a whole lot of websites, and this is the only one. And the delay really is quite significant. Interesting...

I don't know why you're having trouble King Moogle, but I am having the opposite problem. Every site except for RMXp.org doesn't work.  :-\

I really like the new skin by the way, especially the banner and all that.

I found another error - when a post is moved, the link shows up as plain text rather than a link. Just thought I might point it out.

shadow

Sponsor

Wyatt":3mkzsnw1 said:
I found another error - when a post is moved, the link shows up as plain text rather than a link. Just thought I might point it out.

I fixed that yesterday, all new moved posts show a link now. :)

Sorry, Moogle, no idea why this would be happening to you. Try disabling your personal firewall/security software and connecting, if that doesn't work email your college IT department.

Well, I just got home, and it works fine. Means it's definitely not the computer.

The interesting thing is, I work in the IT Department (just passed my Network+ Certification, w00t w00t), and I know about our policies and the things we do... behind our policies. There's no reason that I can perceive why I was having the problem, but hopefully when the break is over and I return, the problem will remain solved.

Thanks, though.

I just want to drop a line and say nice job on the forum switch. Being an avid SMF user myself (and having used other board software such as myBB and the like), I believe you made a good choice here.

I have skimmed through and noticed that you were making a site around the board, and something about blogs. I wonder, have you looked into TinyPortal? http://www.tinyportals.net/index.php

TinyPortal is actually a mod for SMF. It may seem like a small portal package, but I can personally guarentee you that it is not. It can do anything that the big CMS'es do, with a lot less strain on resources. If you need proof take a look at my site (http://norovia.com). I have three smf forums with the tiny portal encompassing it all. It makes unifiying site and forum into a community so much easier too, and making a theme for it only demands adding a clause for tinyportal to it. (plus the tiny portal site has themes and documents on how to create themse and the like).

Also there is a mod called Felblog, which is a powerful blog tool that allows you to have your users create blogs. And there's download manager (including on where you have to pay for downloads), photo galleries, roster pages, and much more.

Anyways, I just though I would mentions those. Hope it helps.

Felblog is the only useful suggestion--I'll look into it, to restore sponsorship blogs.

We do not need a download manager and we certainly do not want a portal. We're going to have a functional and original main website. But thanks for the suggestions.

Shadow, I have a theme changer where people can change to whatever theme they want. I just have the default as a default right now though because we are crafting our own unique theme.

Despain, as I tried to explain, despite it's name, Tinyportal is no mere portal. It is a website construction environment for SMF. Let me try to clarify...

Create custom webpage based on own html and such...
1.) Takes a lot of time.
2.) You would have to utilize the SMF hooks if you want to loosely incorporate the forums into the website.
3.) You can't share membership databases (last I checked).
4.) However you do have the distinct satisfaction that it is all your own code ;).
5.)Have to theme the site to match the forums.

Use a CMS (Joomla/XOOPS/Mambo)
1.)Just like creating a website, except you have pre-made tools and hooks.
2.) You have to use a clunky brindge for SMF that may or may not work (Joomla! doesn't have a bridge anymore for SMF).
3.) But it does save some time, and is your own work.. for the most part.
4.)Have to learn how to theme the CMS to match the forums.

A Portal Software (Typically MKPortal)'
1.)Is nothing more than a portal.
2.) MKPortal has a tendency to take over the forum.
3.)Is buggy.
4.)Still have to theme for both.

The Tiny Portal mod for SMF
1.)It already incorporates your forums (the portal feature).
2.) You can set it to whether or not you want the articles from the forums to display on the index page.
3.) As long as you make the theme compatible (add a simple header to incorporate tinyportal) you only need one theme, because they share the same theme.
4.) It incorporates all the mods of SMF (including FelBlog) With greater use and features.
5.)Despite it's name, it is not a portal software anymore. As my example should have shown, you create pages, and affect the website just as with any other CMS, but without the fall-backs of the CMS'es, and no need for bridging.
6.)Website administration is done within the SMF administration panel. Moderators and such can also be appointed over parts of the website.

I know what the first thought that comes to mind about the name Tiny Portal. You think it is nothing more than a simple portal that shows only what is on the forum. It is for that reason that I didn't use Tinyportal for such a long time, and tried hand coding and using CMS'es. However, after reading so much about it I finally tried it, and couldn't be happier. Tinyportal doesn't just put a portal for my forum, it builds an entire website around my member base.

In the end, it is up to you on what you want to do. However, I did think that I read one of the reasons for the switch to SMF was for better tools and easier use and such. This would definetly fall in line with that. I personally believe that much more could be accomplished, instead of fighting with a CMS that won't work, or hand-coding an entire website.

While I hope you will look more into it for the benefit of the community as a whole, I also do respect your authority to make what ever decision you decide to make. I just hope it is one you, and the community as a whole are happy with. It should always be remembered that a website community exists because of it's members, not it's administrators.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.