Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Possible MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I splurged out and I'm now Patreoning PVGames $20 a month. Gets me a lot of goodies.

New sprites - more wildlife now although they're mostly domesticated. Though we do get wild horses around Birmingham.

Updated graphics (you can just about see the difference)-

rFwrT6e.png

Also lots of tilesets.

Never used this style of cliffs before. First attempt -

9F6TcKu.jpg

Hundreds of decals for grass and ground types so even a massive field won't be boring.

Considering purchasing a premade MMO skin, but there's the risk of just becoming an asset flipper.

Something like this:

SN8lL2Q.jpg

(But that's graphics ripped from the screenshots for the actual materials as I haven't bought them yet)

aceXmUp.png

The new stuff looks good. The tilesets have like a 'painterly' feel to it.
I don't know how I missed that a lot of the old animals have no shadows...

You could grab a skin, it does look quite nice. I don't think you'll have much issue with being an asset flip; you're putting in effort unlike asset flippers!

Oh yeah that water looks much nicer! Not sure what those 3 shadowy things are in the water, by the broken bridge? At first I thought they might've be tortoises...

Making hills not look blocking in an isometric view definitely isn't an easy one!

Amy":3t1rsq2p said:
So the new question that that then leads to (look, there's a lot going on in my head): could the game handle every one of those trees being an event?
If every tree evokes a parallel process event for it's respawn time that becomes problematic so I may have to think of a better way of handling the respawns. However if cutting down a tree was more substantial than simply clicking it - I'm thinking some kind of minitask (not quite a minigame, but think Skyrim lockpicking) - then there shouldn't be many trees respawning at once.
respawn shouldn't be client side so the tree events should be just dumb placeholders, a script should manage whether they're visible/cut or not

I need to start taking this seriously. That includes finding/creating a better place to post updates, maybe some kind of discussion forum, pre-website, idk.

Anyway, I splashed out on some graphics so now I have high-res ones of the mockup above.

Z5H8lOA.png

I think I'm pretty settled on that.

Amy":2mu2s1j6 said:
I need to start taking this seriously. That includes finding/creating a better place to post updates, maybe some kind of discussion forum, pre-website, idk.
First step before any of this is to make a working prototype and get some people testing that out

Oh aye.

So first thing's first, I'm gonna strip back my web server, reinstall everything and start afresh. Brand new everything.

So pre-first thing's pre-first, I'm gonna make sure my backups are actually complete and functional.

This is true.

Though I've swapped them for gold to match the trim, added a Guilds icon, and a HP bar.

HP bar slides down out of the menu's way.

wwkn93L.png

I have to start character creation all over agan -.-';

Because I let you login using Facebook and other apps, there is no registration screen as such. Which is what I had piggybacked for my character creation screen.

Sucks badly.

I like the idea! And I agree about it being text-heavy; the descriptors seem superfluous to me.
What's the deal with the "I don't know that!" buttons? I guess the one near the colour question opens like a swatch window for changing the outfit colour or something? If that's the case, I would personally be tempted to put the button under the hair colour option, and drop the question text altogether.

Is the one near the name like a randomiser? If so, you could save some space by having it be one of those circular buttons, but with the image of some dice! It could tie in well with 'More information' buttons to pop up the text descriptors, if you want to keep that information available.

Keep it up! I love following the progress. :)

It was sortof a pun on Monty Python. (The guy on the bridge asks those questions and the bloke says "I don't know that!")

Clicking them would randomise.

But I can forego a lame pop reference for the sake of cleanliness.

New attempt - split forename and surname so as to have less players finding their name is already take. Also enforces a style of name, like Guild Wars, which lends to roleplayability.

Randomly generated names will have certain in-game easter eggs, such as you may find an NPC you are actually related to if you pick a certain surname!

Hbg27ch.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.