Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[On hold indefinitely] Full 3D in RMXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Awesome Bro

By your theory, directors should stop making films and game devs should stop making games, because people are pirating their products... yet they still carry on and satisfy the customer...

Seems you're just being a whiny bitch because you're scared that a few people have decrypted it, which by the way, doesn't hinder your progress in the slightest...

Derr, way to not read my post at all. I said the fact that I asked them not to and they did anyway bothers me. It doesn't matter whether YOU think it is a big deal, because I've never made it a secret how I feel about pirating and such things.

Oh, also, terrible analogy there. Your examples were industries where money is involved. This was just me using my time to try to do something useful for people, and people clearly didn't want to do me that small favor of leaving my stuff alone. I've got a ton of stuff I need to do, and I am not going to dwell on one thing like this if people don't appreciate it (Oh, but people make enough noise when I decide to stop. I think people could have figured out ahead of time that decrypting my shit would piss me off)

EDIT: The only one who actually has a reason to have a problem with this is Ricoman because he did put work into it, but all I can say to him is he's I put work into it as well, and in the end it was practice for both of us. I would have liked it to have turned out different, but my schedule for what projects I work on is very full and I just can't justify working on something that has no benefit to me and only benefits people who couldn't do that one simple thing I asked.

Jason

Awesome Bro

pirate63.gif

I never understood why it was encrypted in the first place, but hey, to each their own.

Unfortunately if you post something like this it is going to get decrypted. It's just a fact of life.

When I posted Vengeance, seven people decrypted it, even had fun with two guys who edited the database and their sprites etc. But that was 7 out of a total of 100 players, who I know about, so just imagine how many more kept quiet.

I'm not trying to defend the decrypters or anything, I am just saying the fact people did decrypt it is a silly reason to give up on a cool project.

Well, like I said, it bothers me more than it bothers most people. In the future, I just won't release demos, but on this particular project, it just bothers me too much that people couldn't do that one little thing for me. I mean, while I was on the IRC channel talking about how I was pissed off, more people we sending me PMs asking me why I did X thing in the code and crap like that. It was just completely ridiculous. I'm working on other things now that will hopefully be of use to some people, but it'll also benefit me. Maybe those things will go better.

DeM0nFiRe":2e93p4td said:
I'm working on other things now that will hopefully be of use to some people, but it'll also benefit me. Maybe those things will go better.

well, I'm glad to hear that :smile:

if you can use any of what I've done or want something more along those lines, I'm more than willing to help. Just this time, please don't pull the plug if someone hacks you off...there's got to be a way to finish this without putting it into the wrong hands too early :wink:

Well, yeah, I won't release demos for people to decrypt anymore! Oh, also, the stuff I am working on now doesn't require anyone else's help, so I can do all of it myself. Another problem with this project was that, of the 4 or 5 people I tried to get help me, you were the only one who was actually doing anything.

Actually, no, it's really not hard to do.The hardest part of the whole thing is just making a scheme to keep track of objects on both the dll side and the RGSS side.

I didn't open source it, because if someone can't come up with a scheme of their own to do that (And someone should be able to come up with something better than what I did anyway) then there's really not much they could do with the project. In other words, this project was more about design than it was about actually coding it.

When people are asking why you did things a certain way they're just trying to help you or learn themselves; it's definately not as bad as people plain stealing the script. I know that doesn't console much but I'm just saying people pointing where you're going wrong isn't a bad thing.

Zeriab

Sponsor

Are you saying that you think what you did sucks so much you are too embarrassed to open it :huh:
Don't belittle what you have done and I am sure there is plenty one can learn from it. (I think >_>)

Edit: Hi wyatt, didn't see you there

No, that's not what I said. What I meant was that what I did is not useful to the people who would understand it. People who would understand it can do it themselves. As I said, the designing it is the hard part. If you can understand the design, you can just design it yourself. The people who can't understand it, well, obviously it would be of no use to them either because they wouldn't know how to use it!

Basically, I don't think anyone should use my design by copying it from my project because if you don't know why I did what I did, you shouldn't do what I did because the design I set up was preemptively planning for doing some things that haven't been implemented yet. If someone wasn't going to use the same design for the things I haven't done yet, they shouldn't use the design for things I have done. (In other words, my design is only the right design if you were going to do exactly what I was going to do, and even if I open source that code, you wouldn't see everything that I was going to do.)

If anybody in particular is going to try a project like this, I'd be happy to give them some individual help on it.

I think you should follow through with your hissy-fit.

How dare they not refuse temptations and not take in vain your request to not decrypt.

Most likely people just hit the download without reading anything (I didn't even know you released a demo)
I'm personally heavily against decryption and would like to discourage the private distributions that undergo over the forums.

However you're kind of acting like a kid crying so much, ID never start complaining about no trust in humanity and how everyone's a bitch each time someone leaks the source code to their next generation of game engines (I think it's every single one since Doom has been leaked). Valve do throw a tantrum within their own company, go all depressed and emo and then get on with the work begrudgingly, I suggest you do this.

Final note: 3D in RMXP; whatever. You did good work. Maybe you can make it better.

Haha, maybe if you ever did something worth stealing, your opinion of what I do with my work would matter.

Also, what tantrum? I stopped working on something and moved on to work on something else. Seems to me like everyone else is overreacting to it. As I said, my schedule's always full and there's always new things I want to work on. The decryption thing bumped this off the top of the schedule and something else moved in.

I suppose it was everyone else who was over reacting when you said you were so pissed that one time.

And that first line was completely dick

Zeriab

Sponsor

Be however arrogant you want.

Your lack of usefulness argument feels like an attempt find an excuse for not opening source than an actual reason.
You don't need any excuses. It's your choice to open it or not.

I suggest that you change the first post and the title to reflect that you won't work on it anymore.

Xilef":1kflscbt said:
I suppose it was everyone else who was over reacting when you said you were so pissed that one time.

And that first line was completely dick

Your entire post was completely dick.

And I was super pissed for those one or two days, I didn't decide to stop working on this until like a week later.

@Zeriab: You call it arrogant, I call it pissed off. I cannot believe you people at all right now. You are all bitching literally because I changed my mind about giving you free stuff.

Also, it was no excuse, I feel very strongly that software design should be done properly. With this particular project, the design I used would have been terrible unless you were planning on doing exactly what I was going to do. Damn straight, I don't need any excuses, but you asked me a question so I answered it. Again, it means nothing what YOU think of MY reason for what I do with MY work.

Also, why don't you all just do this yourself or screw off? I've got other things to work on, and you are all acting like you are entitled to my work, but you are not. The only one who has a say in what I do with my work is me. You think I am being a jerk, but stop and think a minute about what you guys are really getting upset at me about. You are upset with me because I am not going to finish and give you my work. I can understand if you are disappointed because you wanted to use it, but now you are telling me I am a jerk because I changed my mind about giving you free stuff. For me to continue working on this project would require me to sacrifice a lot. What reason do I have to make those sacrifices? To help people who couldn't do that one thing for me? You say it's a small reason, but that doesn't matter, it's big to me and I've never made that a secret.

@Zeriab: You call it arrogant, I call it pissed off. I cannot believe you people at all right now. You are all bitching literally because I changed my mind about giving you free stuff.

Somehow I don't think Zeriab would be one to bitch about people not giving them free stuff :x

Regardless, both sides just stop posting as it's clear the stances here. This project is on hold therefore I am locking this. If and when you start working on it again I will open it for you but any chat now is just gonna lead to petty insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.