Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[On hold indefinitely] Full 3D in RMXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
so it's finally being made. a 3D version of RPG Maker. I would have thought Enterbrain would make it before a fan did, though. Keep up the great work!

The issue with 3D is complexity.

Anyone with a little bit of programming knowledge could probably replicate a rough RPG VX/XP with today's software available online, it might not have as many features, but the author(s) wouldn't care, it would be theirs. The real thing that RPG Maker gives advantage of is Resources.

When you move into the realm of 3D programming, you add another dimension of complexity. The math is different and more complex, there's matrix transformations, rendering initialization, device concerns, special effects, support for 3D file formats, and a whole other set of problems that are a part of a 3D game construction kit. DeM0nFiRe's using Irrlicht Engine, which means a large set of those problems are accounted for.

@Alexander: lol, thanks for taking the awesomeness out of it!

No, seriously though, he's right. As I've said before, the fact that I am using Irrlicht means that the hardest part is done for me. There's really nothing super complicated going on, it's just some basic C++ and Ruby. The only reason why it's taken so long for someone to do it is because most people who can program in C++ don't like RPG Maker anymore XD

hey Demo can we see some shots with the furniture in it? I'd love to see how it's coming along with objects inserted into the maps...

wow... this topic looks dead...

It must not be buried beneath all the others!!!!!!!!

DemonFire, please tell me you're still working on it... :biggrin:

Haha, I am still working on it.

I am actually looking for a really good scripter to help me out. Once I finish the 3D SDK part, I want to have someone else create the default set of scenes for it.

Ooh, ooh, I can script scenes! I mean sure, you'll have to help a bit with some of the more complex ones... but i can do most of them! Of course, it also depends on when you want me to make them, since I also have a project to work on... well, when do you think you will have the SDK part done?

Depending on what you consider to be a good scripter, I might be able to help ya out. It also depends on what scenes you're looking for... if you're just looking for a basis people can build stuff upon, I could handle it... if you're looking for massive amounts of example scripts, then I don't think I got the time ^^

Well, that'd be a moderate amount, I guess - as long as you don't need them like a day after you publish the files, I could do this. So yeah, if you think I'm the right dude, gimme a cal when you got everything ^^

Yes. And I shall be the one to keep the topic alive by posting moral support at random times to make sure it doesn't get lost beneath all the other topics.

Just as important... If not more, eh? :thumb:

I think this idea is really good of floor, player level, ceiling.

When there is no ceiling I think a picture of sky (in the bowled effect) you see on many 3d games (oblivion has an amazing night sky). Allowing users to choose which one they would like?

Another thing I had to ask is are the characters going to be made with a skeleton or the other way (not sure what it's called).
I'm not 100% sure so feel free to correct me but would it be easier animation wise to use the skeleton? For example instead of making all the characters stand, sit and lay down you could just do it once with the skeleton and then the models you design just copy the skeleton (I’m aware it's slightly more complex but I don't know how else to word it).

Are you going to make certain animations standard for when you release the 3d rpg maker xp?

For example standing, walking, running, sitting, laying, attack, defend and maybe one spell casting pose? All of these are optional.

I noticed you guys lacked in 3D modellers. If I were you I'd go onto youtube and search blender character designs or something. Contact them. Many of them would be willing to work for free. The more the merrier.

I think the fighting shouldn't be done on a side to side battle screen as it would make battling in 3D seem a bit pointless.

I know it would be more complex but either a battle system like the 2D 'battle on map' ABS systems where you see an enemy or they see you they can fight. I know it's a little off the battle system yet but I like to think ahead.

Mega support for what you guys are doing!

Ulqiorra":2mfpyobe said:
Ok. But seriously, having collision detection would be cool. On that subject, how will passablility work?

I was thinking: Layer 1 is below player, Layer 2 is same layer as player, and Layer 3 is above player. Meaning that Layer 1 tiles will only stop the player from falling through the floor is they are impassible, and Layer 3 will do the same, but with jumping. Layer 2 would act as normal.

So:
Events - Special Objects(to be put with Layer 2)
Layer 3 - Ceiling(if player walks below an impassible tile, he can't jump)
Layer 2 - Player; Walls; Objects; Events
Layer 1 - Floor(if player walks on passible tile, he falls to his doom)

Also, on the subject of falling to his doom... could you make that customizable? Like, say, have Common Event 1 handle falling effects?

I haven't done any real projects with it at all... just some theoretical bases, but yeah - since it'd be builing on a new SDK anyways (yours), what's important IMO is the understanding of the subject, combined with the capability of creating effective as well as variable scripts based on that. At least, that's what I figured when posting earlier ;)
So yeah, if you'Re looking for someone with professional experience in 3D calculation, then I figure you have to look somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.