Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

no-one has to die. [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this game featured on Kongregate, congrats! Getting a badge for a game there is the difference between a couple k views and several 100k views. You're in the running for a nice place in the monthly contest there as well! :thumb:

Played it after I recognized the game there after seeing it here, and it was great! I was planning on playing it for a minute or so to see what it was like, but after one ending I was hooked and had to finish the rest of the game.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Just had my little brother (16) play it too, he said the story confused him until the end where it all wraps up, and said it was great... then about five minutes later, while playing Guild Wars 2 and talking to his mates on Teamspeak... he shouted:

THE COCKATIEL... SAVE CHRISTINA! MOTHER!

He didn't even turn to me or anything, just shouted it randomly, and I could hear his mates saying what are you talking about, lol.

So yeah, you've got another fan

regi

Sponsor

I have to say, that was not what I was expecting!

Gameplay was simple and well-designed, as you were able to effectively reuse the same maps throughout different timelines; though I felt the puzzles were almost too simple. That said, most of the excellence goes to the story. The use of time travel really added a twist to the mystery element, something I don't think I've seen before.

I enjoyed Troy's character the most: his reasons for claiming he was the arsonist seemed pretty genuine, and a real twist. I feel like the mystery may have played out differently depending on which storyline you found first-- but Troy's character seemed to encourage most people to save Christina/Steven first, which definitely drew out the mystery. (It wouldn't have been nearly as fun if I'd learned about time travel my first play through!)

All in all, while the gameplay wasn't incredible, it was simple and fun, and carried by a strong storyline. Good work!

I just finished playing through the entire game, took about 20 minutes or so. It was a short, but really enjoyable experience. I didn't find any of the puzzles to be difficult, but the story itself was intriguing enough to keep me playing. While the story did get pretty complex toward the end of the game, I thought it was extremely clever how all the different branching storylines intertwined at the game's conclusion to reveal the entire mystery. Although the graphics are minimalistic, they seem to work nicely. Also, the audio seems to be spot on; from the ding of the message boxes, to the tension-inducing background music. Between the subtle twists in the narrative, and the well written dialogue, you kept me interested and playing from start to end. Overall, great job with this game!

Short but fun. Pretty innovative and just plain fun escapism. It is elegant in its simplicity as a game narrative. The puzzles were pretty easy, though. The fun of it was simply trying to finish the game to get the whole storyline, so in that sense it was a great success. I liked the grid like graphics. It reminded me of some board game from the eighties that used cardboard player pieces.

Hey dude, congrats on all the mentions and reviews and such in big sources. Reading them actually got me to play more of the game and look at it more deeply, there is a lot here. That playing it multiple times *accidentally* killing different people leads to learning more of the story is so compelling and interesting.

Princess Amy":1hdlyww3 said:
Hey dude, congrats on all the mentions and reviews and such in big sources. Reading them actually got me to play more of the game and look at it more deeply, there is a lot here. That playing it multiple times *accidentally* killing different people leads to learning more of the story is so compelling and interesting.
Thanks! Yeah, the reception to this game was just wild. I'm glad you came back to finish it! I'm really proud of this game, although I've had trouble working on anything since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.