Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

New HBGames Terraria Server: HYPERBOLE

So update is live, and TShock has serious issues. Like being unable to break walls. And being unable to drop most items without them vanishing. But...since I'm hosting mine on Linux, official server doesn't work, and I'm stuck with it.

Edit: They've patched the broken item drops, the broken walls, and the broken ropes. Still waiting on an officially compiled binary for the broken teleportation commands, but those aren't as important and I'm feeling too lazy to install Visual Studio just to compile this.

Spoo

Sponsor

So I don't advise reading all of this; some of the changes are best experienced firsthand. However, there are a number of major game changing patches that I've highlighted. Commentary on them below.

Bug Fixes

• You can no longer craft items or money by placing items in the trash.
    You can no longer sell your gold to NPC's
    Music box/chest duping no longer works
    Bunnies/Goldfish spawned from statues no longer drop money during a Bloodmoon
    Equipping items to the social slot in German no longer crashes the game
    The game will no longer create a random password during multiplayer world generation
    You can now reforge in all languages
    Active blocks will no longer become inactive with a chest on them
    Fixed a bug that would cause a suitable house to be unsuitable
    Fixed a lot of bugs that were not listed

Mechanics and Gameplay

• Enemies now have a health bar
    There is now a map, mini map, and overlay that only shows tiles the brightest they have ever been
    The map can be toggled using tab, m, or through the map icons
    “M” has been remapped for the map feature
    “J” is now the default button for mana use
    There is now an extended crafting menu that will show everything you can craft
    Some items now stack to 999
    Character slots have been increased to 1,000
    World slots have been increased to 1,000
    The starting female cloths have been modified
    There are several new hairstyles
    Character creation has been remodeled
    Chest sizes have been doubled
    Your inventory space has been increased by 10
    You no longer need to jump to ascend single blocks
    The hammer is now used for creating slopes, halftiles, and breaking walls only
    The axe is now only used for chopping down trees and giant mushrooms
    Pickaxes will now remove blocks, placeable objects, and items such as Life Crystals and chests
    You can now paint any solid tile or item
    Dye slots have been added
    You will now start with 10 mana
    You can now craft early game magic robes and staves
    Bricks, wood, stone and glass all now blend together
    Mana Crystals only require 5 fallen stars to craft, down from 10
    If water touches a halftile it will create a waterfall
    Your world has a chance to get alternative ore as a replacement for copper, iron, silver, and gold
    Your world has a chance to have a replacement for the Corruption
    Your world has a chance to get alternative ores as a replacement for Cobalt, Mythril, and Adamantite
    Your world has a rare chance to have a pyramid or living tree spawn during world generation each containing their own loot table
    There is a new hardmode jungle temple
    There are now beehives that can be found in the jungle
    There are now several new backgrounds and tree variations your world has a chance to generate
    Water will now change color based on the biome you are in and depth underground
    Ropes are now found early game and can be used to craft rope coils for traversing the world
    Chains can now be placed and used as a rope mechanism
    Mushroom grass/seeds can now grow and spread above ground
    There are now 3 colors for wires
    Actuators can be used to make any solid tile active and inactive
    There is 1 new liquid type that can be found in the Jungle
    There are several new fountains that will change the color of water when they are place nearby
    Pearlstone bricks no longer spread hallow
    Rain and blizzards have been added
    There is a new snow biome with unique treasures and items for normal and hardmode
    Enemies no longer trigger underground pressure plates
    There are new pressure plates that can only be triggered by certain things such as the player, enemies, or both
    Clowns will no longer blow up tiles
    There are several new buffs and debuffs
    There are now mini Capture the Gem addition to the game. You can craft large gems that draw a gem icon above the player holding the gem and if the player is killed the gem will be dropped next to their corpse
    There are 2 new hardmode events
    Werewolf form has been buffed and can take place every night
    Broken armor debuff only lasts 2 minutes, down from 5
    You now use a pickaxe to remove armor from a mannequin
    Players no longer take double damage in pvp
    Items of the same type will now stack when next to each other
    When using a gravitation potion your world will invert rather than your character
    You can no longer become invincible when touching fire blocks
    Increased speed at which you can buy stacks of things

Graphical Changes

• The sun is now brighter
    Midnight is now darker

The sky has a smooth gradient
    There are several items that have had graphical upgrades such as gems, colored torches, minishark, muramasa, aqua scepter,
    starfury, ect..
    There are now stalagmites, icecicles, moss, plants, rocks, and other "piles" added to enhance the environment
    There are several new mini caves that can be found with unique backgrounds
    Each biome will now have chests and pots with unique graphics
    The dungeon now has 3 unique textures/colors and furniture
    Hell houses have been remodeled
    Floating islands have been remodeled
    Each biome will now have unique textures and wood types:
    Corruption: Ebonwood
    Jungle: Rich Mahogany
    Crimson: Shadewood
    Hallow: Pearlwood
    Each brick now has its own unique texture
    Each brick wall now has its own unique texture
    Torches are now animated and can be placed on walls
    Common enemies such as demon eyes, skeletons, and zombies have all been given graphical variations
    There are several new tombstones
    All objects in the game that sparkle will now sparkle with a corresponding color

Recipes/Items

• In total there are over 1,000 new items
    There are 10 new ores
    There are 4 new wood types
    There are 31 new brick types
    You can now imbue melee weapons
    There are several new arrow and bullet types
    There are several new crafting stations
    There are several new wands used for crafting new bricks and brick walls
    You can now craft bricks, walls, and furniture out of several new materials:
    Slime, Bone, Mushroom, Living wood, Flesh, Silt, and many more!
    You can now craft Jester Arrows
    There are 12 new wing types
    There are several new vanity sets
    There are a lot of new rare drops added to enemies
    You can now craft stained glass
    There is an item in hardmode that allows you to change biomes
    There is an item in hardmode that allows you to increase your max health
    There are 29 new tinker combinations
    Several new items have been added to the game that are used for crafting dyes
    Starfury now acts as a melee weapon and has had its damaged increased
    Aqua Scepter has been redesigned and does slightly more damage for less mana
    Water bolt has been redesigned and does slightly more damage
    Vilethorn does more damage and uses less mana
    Magic Daggers have been buffed
    All of the old classic armors can be found as rare drops and have the same stats as their current counterparts and count towards set bonuses
    Items that were called dyes previously for crafting have been changed to thread
    Chests now have larger loot tables
    You can now make picks instead of drills and axes instead of chainsaws in late game tiers
    Increased the drop rate of souls
    There are over 50 paintings that can be collected randomly throughout the world
    Jungle armor no longer requires gems
    The amount of meteorite required for crafting has been decreased
    Meteorite armor has more defense and does more damage
    Silt and slush can be extracted into useful materials, items, and money
    Each boss has a rare chance to drop a placeable boss trophy
    Hooks can now be crafted out of gems
    Depth meter is no longer craftable
    Stars can now be crafted with bottles to make a new light source
    Floating island chests no longer require a key
    Gems and bars can be placed
    Items made from hellstone now require less hellstone

NPCS

• There are 8 new friendly npcs
    There are 4 new bosses
    There are over 100 new enemies
    Friendly npcs will sell different items depending on certain conditions such as time of day or biome they are living in
    Hardmode bosses have a chance to spawn on their own to help players progress through the game
    Current hardmode bosses now do slightly less damage and have had their health decreased
    There is a rare spawn mini boss that can be found during blizzards in the above ground ice biome
    There are over 15 new pets that can be found in chests and dropped rarely off enemies
    Early hardmode enemies now do less damage and have less health/defense.
    Skeletron can now be summoned and has a small loot table

Music

• There are 15 new tracks for the game, 3 of which are from the console version of the game
    Day theme 2 will loop into day theme 1 to add variation above ground
    Desert, ocean, glowing mushrooms, dungeon, and space all have their own tracks now
    Ice biome has an above and below ground track

Performance/Miscellaneous

• The game now only loads assets when needed, reducing the amount of RAM used
    Optimized tile data to reduce RAM usage
    There game will now ask you if you want to use UPnP to automatically port-forward when hosting multiplayer

So, starting from the top.

The addition of 10 mana from the get go is a great call; it lets you make use of basic magical items like the magic mirror without having to go through the tedious process of collecting stars. In addition, the reduction of stars required to make mana crystals means an early-game caster is actually plausible now.

Since all materials blend together now, it's loads easier to create awesome houses using a unique variety of blocks. So far, everything has looked great to my eyes so far.

Like I mentioned above, the cost of mana crystals has been reduced by half. This makes the collection of falling stars much less tedious and makes playing a mage from the get-go relatively easy (you have to factor in the probability of actually finding magical items, but still.)

Ropes and chains are beautiful motherfuckers. They're a stylish and quick way to get around, they look great, and they make spelunking a lot less costly (specifically, not having to use a stack of wood on platforms). Ropes are super common drops from pots. Chains, which are functionally the same AFAIK, can be crafted 10 per ingot at an anvil.

Actuators are another great addition. If you wired much pre-1.2, you were probably familiar with active and inactive stone blocks. Great alternative doors that could be made passable or impassable at the flick of a switch, but unfortunately ugly when implemented into most housing designs. Actuators allow any block to be toggled for passage, so now you can have a drawbridge that doesn't look like a giant grey turd.

Clowns were a builder's worst nightmare. Previously, peeps generally built anti-clown countermeasures before making anything too grand, whether said countermeasures fit into the design or not. Now that these creepy dudes are harmless to buildings, we can build without worry.

Gravitation potions are excellent tools that make locating floating islands and skybuilding infinitely easier. Unfortunately, the things were a bit disorienting, and if you weren't paying attention, you'd splat yourself onto the ceiling before you knew it. Now it feels more like falling up than anything. You have a clear view of what's "below" you, so you're not so likely to splat yourself. Still; play safe, kids.

Peeps fresh into hell (or meteors) and anyone else without an obsidian accessory should be wary. In the past, the damage taken from standing on hot blocks would activate invincibility for a bit and keep you safe from the baddies. Now, if you're getting forced onto firebricks by the forces of hell, you get not even that tiny moment of safety. Watch your step!

The sun gets buffed and the moon gets nerfed. However minor this may initially seem, do not underestimate the power of lighting. Before, nightime darkness was a minor inconvenience; it made trekking through the world a bit more risky, but not much less plausible. Now, though, the night is to be feared. Visibility is nearly completely gone and early light sources do next to nothing.

I cried tears of joy upon learning of this one. No longer do we have to deal with stupid workarounds to lighting up a relatively open cavern. Any wall is fair game down to the rocky layer (the one that can't be harvested and below it). Makes lighting a lot more convenient for spelunking and less retarded looking in houses.

This is more of a personal thing, but I love Vilethorn; it's a great early-game magic weapon with plenty of utility and a great role all its own. The fact that it's getting some attention makes be smile a bit inside.

No longer do we have to deal with an inventory half-full of aglets; we're finally getting some variety up in this bitch. So far, regular and golden chests have given me great variety -- I don't think my primary item out of them has been the same twice. Jungle chests have somewhat disappointed me though. Four chests landed me four Feral Claws. Could be coincidence though.

Souls were a chore to get before, especially Souls of Light and Souls of Night; the drop rate was pretty pathetic on the upper hollow/corruption. Haven't tested myself yet, but hopefully we're looking at a solid 70 or 80 percent drop rate this time around.

So, no more having to farm for keys in the dungeon before hitting up sky islands. This works well any way you slice it. Inexperienced players have a means of upping their gear before having to fight Skeletron while veterans have better equipment for a WoF fight in the event they decide to bypass the dungeon altogether.

Hellstone sucks. It's annoying to mine, what with the constant distractions of Imps and Skull Snakes -- not to mention the super lame lave spawning mechanic the ore possesses. Any reduction of time spent mining this crap is a-okay with me.

Players fresh into hardmode are liable to get screwed six times over by the new and powerful mobs while getting their new gear. For newbies joining into a server with no gear at all? Progression is tedious and traversing the world is hell. The nerf to early hardmode enemies is going to help out a lot; getting some Cobalt might even be possible without taking a pixie to the face.

Skeletron is a fun boss; a lot of peeps want to be in on that fight, but not everyone has the same timeframe. Now the dude can be summoned (about time) with relatively simple-to-acquire resources. Great call, Red.

We here at HBG haven't had to deal with it on Hyperbole because Ven does a great job running things (props), but for those of us (me) with troublesome routers and under-par internet speeds have trouble hosting even a game for us and a couple of buddies. No longer.

tl;dr this patch is p solid brah.

Played the new update briefly. New ore I've seen Tin, Tungsten, Crimtane. New looking underwater chest, new looking enemies -Eskimo Zombie. Ice blocks. Snow ball weapons from snow blocks. Stalactites. Mushroom table, wall, and chair. Took me a while to figure out how to use ropes. I'll explore more later.
Maybe I was imagining it but, I started killing gels faster like I was stronger even though I was using the same starting equipment.

edit: oh, The Crimson biome.

Defeated the Brain today and got a full set of Crimtane armor. I checked out the wiki to see what the condition are to summon the other new bosses.

Queen Bee, Plantera and Golem. All in the jungle which I haven't explored much. I'll need to reach hardmode first to get Plantera and Golem. Not sure if they'll spawn in one of my older worlds that are already in hardmode. You have to get a temple key from Plantera to get the Golem, thats pretty cool.

Oh, and apparently there are world trees. Big trees that you tunnel through. My world only had a small one :( but the big ones can spawn chests I guess. And there is a tree and leaf wand for building your own.

Love all the new stuff.

Fusty

Sponsor

I've seen a tree like that. There was a pretty big tunnel underneath it with some wooden furniture and a chest in it. Chest gave me some kind of wand that uses wood to place leaves.
Other than exploring that tree I haven't really done much in the new update yet. Somehow I find it hard to get back into the game :p

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.