Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

my account is as old as my nephew

Necrile":1gb2iuxz said:
Real talk, how do we restart the game development community here? Right now it's all trip down nostalgia lane, which is all well and good, but I'd love to see the community return to its former glory.
It won't be easy, and it's former glory would be lost forever. I have done similar things with the VX.net empire, and only as a member-- but it'd mean becoming far more active, which I may do. But it will take time.

VX.net is dead because iEntry's incompetence indirectly broke the servers, ruining the website for good-- they'd have had no reason to do so on their own whim, it earned them 10,000 USD a month.

Fayte

Sponsor

I check these forums about 100 times a day. I gave my critique on the only current game posted in the game discussion section. I'd love to revitalize, but y'all need to start making games and lurkers need to stop lurking and become part of the gang!

EDIT: I think you should reopen the recruitment section. I know it gets messy sometimes, but before it was taken out it was a huge part of the forums when I first joined. Everyone wants to come in and be a part of some awesome game team. And once people are in a team and are working on something they want you to know about it so they post!

Fayte

Sponsor

Necrile":2wgh0iui said:
@fayte: I think that is a great idea. Maybe since our community is small enough we could all colloborate on something?

I miss going to the computer store on Saturday to build a pc. I wanted to work on something I'm rpg maker because it's been legit years since I've used to the program.

Fayte

Sponsor

I just happened to click Silent Memories out of curiosity and it looked pretty good but it had no comments. Then I clicked on the other games in the newest game section on the home page and noticed most of the games have either none or barely any comments. When someone completed a project it was huge because we all know it takes a lot of mettle to follow through. This is... it's blasphemy!

They never wanted to be part of this community anyways. They signed up, posted their game, and never came back. It says to me they just wanted attention, on their terms, and they expected it to come unconditionally.
Like we're just some hugbox stage for them to stand on. They didn't come for support or critique, they wanted viewcounts and downloads and they're willing to make profiles on every media site under the sun to get it until they feel satisfied they did something significant.

Fayte":1bubggts said:
I just happened to click Silent Memories out of curiosity and it looked pretty good but it had no comments. Then I clicked on the other games in the newest game section on the home page and noticed most of the games have either none or barely any comments. When someone completed a project it was huge because we all know it takes a lot of mettle to follow through. This is... it's blasphemy!
welcome to why website is ded

or one of multiple reasons

personally though i dont mind the ambience... or lack thereof, it feels more like a community, less like a circus

Fayte

Sponsor

coyotecraft":168dnjmx said:
They never wanted to be part of this community anyways. They signed up, posted their game, and never came back. It says to me they just wanted attention, on their terms, and they expected it to come unconditionally.
Like we're just some hugbox stage for them to stand on. They didn't come for support or critique, they wanted viewcounts and downloads and they're willing to make profiles on every media site under the sun to get it until they feel satisfied they did something significant.

Well that's typically how someone gets involved in a community. Most times people just join because they have a question or want someone to see the hard work they put in on their project and the only way you can post on a forum is to join it first. Then, after some feedback or whatever they decide if they like the environment and stay. I'm not saying that's 100% times the case some people join because they got involved with a program and wanted to be involved with a community.. but a majority of people joined to ask a question or post their project or recruit.

Alot of the welcome posts start off with "hey I was a lurker and then..." but if you're a lurker and you see people post their project but don't get any sort of feedback.. why would you want to become part of that kind of community? lol

Edit: I hope I don't sound like I'm downing this place because I'm not lol. I love it here. It's home. I just wanna see it come back to life and be the bustling city it once was. I'm picking up my custom PC tomorrow so I'm gonna start working on a small, very generic, very cliche project because I've legit never completed one before.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Fayte":395n20uk said:
It's all good.. we're gonna Make HBG Great Again!

Yeah... good luck doing that, this place will never be the same again, people still associate this place as just another RPG Maker website, and that fad has pretty much died now.

Jason":2k4tcw6b said:
Fayte":2k4tcw6b said:

Yeah... good luck doing that, this place will never be the same again, people still associate this place as just another RPG Maker website, and that fad has pretty much died now.

Fad? What fad? RMN is still thriving and I'd say with the release of OneShot and LISA, RPG Maker is more popular than ever.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Necrile":3i34nmz6 said:
Jason":3i34nmz6 said:
Fayte":3i34nmz6 said:

Fad? What fad? RMN is still thriving and I'd say with the release of OneShot and LISA, RPG Maker is more popular than ever.

The RPG Maker fad, when there were a fuck ton of websites with hundreds, even thousands, of active users... now it's just a few websites with regulars and a load of dead urls.

Well I blame that mostly on the emergence of RMN (which really has the best all-inclusive network, sorry HBG), and Steam for selling if that's the developers prerogative.

Yeah steam was the death of all the branch-off communities. However most of those communities now exist in ways in discord chatrooms, i.e. forums but you don't have to pay for them. The Degica hegemony played a large role in that, too.

iEntry killed off what remained through either incompetence or their heavy-handed shittyness.

The RPG Maker Empires of old are dead (1 or 2 of which are probably at least my fault a little.), with RMN being the only plausible exception.

I actually just signed up at Degica's forums the other day. I think I've gotten my name on the mods' blacklist. In my first post I mentioned wanting to make a tactical RPG and moving on to another engine. My post got "moderated," and a mod made a comment saying that only games that use Degica's engines are allowed to be discussed there. I guess that makes sense. I wouldn't want to make my own forum and then let my competitors advertise there. Anyway, now I think the mods are going to be very suspicious of any help that I ask for there.

Necrile":1my7p1bz said:
Well I blame that mostly on the emergence of RMN (which really has the best all-inclusive network, sorry HBG), and Steam for selling if that's the developers prerogative.

Imo, RMN support is just as lacking as any other forum. As big as they are, their Resource section has 1 maybe 2 new entries a month. Go past a year you'll find links that are just as broken as anywhere else. Scripts and plug-in are made by the same half-dozen people that are on all the sites.

Places like RPGmakerweb and here exist for the developers sake. But RMN has a game library and rating system for non-developers too. Which I imagine caters to wannabe game journalists and youtube reviewers.

I do what I can to offer script and graphic assistance here. But otherwise we just give comradery and moral support. I don't write blogs or broadcast videos. And I really don't use social media, so networking through me would be a dead end.
So if you're a stand-alone developer that's really just looking for an audience, then by all means go to RMN. We tried implementing review system here. But you know what they say about leading a horse to water.

@Nathaniel3W: Haha. Yeah. Their mods are super strict about how you use their boards. Their like,
*Borg impersonation*
Critiques and other commentary are not in compliance with the rules and guidelines of Resource Request. We will lock this topic to prevent further communications. Resistance it futile.

~impersonating a moderator can result in a ban. Please don't do it again.

Fayte

Sponsor

I forgot I wasn't signed upon RMN thanks for reminding me. There's a lot of pessimism going on in here :crazy: . I came back to talk to make games and talk to some old chaps. Let's do that :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.