Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Music Fighter

"Music Fighter" by ValkyrieGames (Entry Complete!)

Haha gee BlueScope you must be fast at making games. I've spent the last 4 hours mucking around trying to make the menus and title screens >_< This is the time I wish I were better with graphics =.=

Jason, that sounds really unlucky but it's great to hear that you guys are almost done! Thanks for the wishes, I hope I do too ^^; Good luck as well!

Day 14-15 (30-31/03/2012)
After 19 hours of solid work over the past 24 hours (with only 2 hours of sleep), I'm finally done! There's too many changes to list down right now. Why don't you go ahead to the final project and just have a look yourself? Oh by the way, there's an easter egg awaiting you if you can find it! :D It's inspired by @rosareven http://www.valkyriegames.net/musicfighter/final/

Haha, I'm surprised you actually made this happen. Well done!

image1yx.png

I wish you used the running animation for the cat but it was just a suggestion for the lawls to begin with. Cheers =D

PS. If you do upload this game to Scirra Arcade, be ware of explosive attention from the nyancat fans. You've been warned =3

Haha thanks rosareven, I really wanted to do it and managed to get in done in the last hour before submission ^^ Hey you're right, I can't believe I didn't think of using the animated version! That's on my todo list before I do release it on Scirra Arcade. Haha thanks for your warning :P

Edit: Any chance you could spoiler tag your screenshot for me? So that the easter egg doesn't become too obvious! Thanks! :)

onzephyr

Awesome Bro

very polished look and feel. Loved the concept since the beginning. Glad you were able to make it happen. As some have mentioned as browsers start supporting game pads "some already do in their beta versions" I'd love to see it added. That alone would take the edge off the complexity concerns I think. Or as Eventing_guy said just mash all buttons, as that does work :smile:
I can empathize with the last day-few days worth of crunch time getting things completed. But man it feels good when you do. Am I right?
I'll be excited to see your post contest updates :wink:

gillenew":2i92z86l said:
the gameplay has improved a lot! I played and 6800 points ^ ^
so much fun, I really liked :)
Haha I'm so glad you liked the changes and are having fun with the game. I feel like I've done something right when someone's having fun ^^ Hopefully it's more easy to play and less confusing now. I still get complaints about the skills beats being too hard to hit, so I may fix that with difficulty levels in the future :)

@onzephyr Thanks onzephyr, you were one of the first to comment on my idea, and it was great that you could join me on the journey. I think that the gamepad idea is a great idea (sorry I didn't address this point earlier BlueScope!), and I'm certainly planning to implement it in future (and actually, the thought of implementing a game with a gamepad excites me, as it feels like I'm making a "proper" console game... well, on the pc hehe).
Finishing of this game for the contest really does feel great. I never thought I'd stay up with so little sleep since the end of uni assignments. I guess it's all a part of the experience though, and I couldn't have enjoyed this contest any more!
I'll be as excited to post more updates as they come ^^ Cheers onzephyr!

Kaludan":2i92z86l said:
17620170.jpg

Should be a fun 2 player game. Gonna give it a go once Venetia gets back.

LOL I hope that's not too off-putting. I tried to make it simpler by introducing new skills one by one. Yes yes, play with Venetia, and let me know how you guys handle 2-player style haha xD

By the way, in case Venetia reads this, some of the modifications to my thread probably didn't make it through to the judging forums, so if you guys get confused as to how to play, just check this thread (but of course judge according to the copy that you guys have! :))

Also, has anyone found the easter egg apart from rosareven yet? :D

Day 16 (2/04/2012, Post Submission)

So for the past day I've been busy catching up on sleep and playing everyone's games. I feel like I've become addicted to these forums and keep checking for new posts. Having finished reading everything so far I thought I'd busy myself again and share some statistics for my project with you all for the fun of it. Enjoy~

Statistics for making Music Fighter
Time spent: Approx 15 days. (Est 85 hours).
Number of events used: 100
Number of layouts used: 2
Number of layers per layout average: 3
Number of ternary operators used: A bazillion. ... Okay I just counted, and I used about 64!

Time spent on the forums during the contest: Way too much! (At least 2-3 hours every day!)
Fun had throughout this contest: Just way too much fun.

If anyone else had any statistics like this to post, I'd be really interested to see them.

Cheers! :)

There an another important feedback:

I know your game was original idea like the fusion between 2 games like Guitar Hero and some Horizontal Shooter game, the people will not get how to play it, so it makes harder to play in the beggining, sometimes they need to practice.

If you make an interactive tutorial would be nice to help people how to play this game and will get and they keep playing your game, also you could to make a balance between button sequence and shooter, do not use like 100% to 2 tasks, in that case button sequence uses 75% and shooting uses 25% of concentration, this is my personal opinion, it makes me easy to play if you manage 50% to both tasks.

That's all, i hope you may accept my opinion.

@joannesalfa Thanks for taking the time to write me some constructive feedback. I think an interactive tutorial is a great idea, and I had planned one but ran out of both events and time - I will add one once the competition is over though :) The issue you brought up about concentration is a pertinent point. I think right now players need about 125% concentration to play which is a bit hard. I will have to figure out how to make a better balance. Perhaps I can change it around in periods where it's more important to do one thing or the other - either hit the beats or move the ship. I'll think about this some more and see what I can come up with :) Cheers!

Great job valkyriegames! :) Very well polished, and fun to play game :) But now my fingers hurt. lol I could tell you put a lot of time, and thought into your game, it really shows in your game. It's always worth going that extra mile :D

Good luck with the contest :)

I think either the powers could come in the form of notes too, so you can just let go the music playing.
It's not easy staring purchases notes while still controlling the car down and strikes blows on enemies :D

Hmm so you mean get rid of the need to press the keys to trigger the skill notes? And have them be notes as well, so when they are hit, the skill notes start appearing? Actually thats an idea! But it also does make the game less strategic. I'll have to have a think about it, but I like the idea so at the very least I'll use it for an arcade mode :D thanks for that! :D

Edit: I might restrict the player to only take 4 skills in to a song when using your idea - perhaps that could be the strategic part. I also do plan for the skills to be upgradable with perks :)

Valkyriea, i love your super cute graphic and bright colours, gameplay so well and a bit difficult for me ^^, maybe i don't play it much. Can you add eminem song and rock theme into this game, :)) it's will be great. Well done , mate ! ( maybe i'm so deep in darkness and horror with deadspace last week T-T, your game shinning me :)) )

Thats a real compliment for me, coming from you, thanks farsmile90! :D I might add some eminem songs for the fun of it for a bit, but I'll have to remove it for a proper version (so i don't infringe on any copyrights!) But I'll definitely be adding some rock songs cos I love rock! Haha I'm glad to be able to brighten things up a bit for you. Your deadspace game is really awesome though. It makes me want to work on a game with mood as well! :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.