Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Music Fighter

"Music Fighter" by ValkyrieGames (Entry Complete!)

I really like what you're doing. The concept reminds me Theatrythm Final Fantasy,
which is a game in which you need to match combinations of buttons(I think) to advance.
And you seem to be doing well in terms of the systems, specially the infite path.
Nice job!

Day 10 (25/03/2012)
1. Finished Energy Beam skill animation.
2. Finished basic Summon Mini Fighter Skill, and Speed Burst Skill.
3. Added a background to our WIP forum topic :)

More to come tomorrow!

MarioSuperStar":1lx1kh2p said:
I really like what you're doing. The concept reminds me Theatrythm Final Fantasy,
which is a game in which you need to match combinations of buttons(I think) to advance.
And you seem to be doing well in terms of the systems, specially the infite path.
Nice job!

Thanks MarioSuperStar! I didn't realize Square Enix had something like this out! I had a quick look at the wikipedia page and it looks similar to what I'm aiming for! Haha it makes me want to try out the game actually.

Anyway, more work for now, hopefully I get the battle system up and running soon! x)

Day 11 (26/03/2012)
1. Lots of little tweaks today with the graphics, animations and skills. Also added a little polish to the game.
2. Implemented the damage module for damage dealing, monster removing, and damage animations.

The game is almost ready for a tech demo! For now, some eye candy! :D

day_11_beam_explosion.png

That's looking better and better by the day... great job on the graphics, they match nicely with Danc's!
I'm looking forward to a tech demo here... I'm too old and cranky to rock at DDR-style games, but I'll definately try my hardest here ^^"

By the way, did you get the word out to Danc? Might be a bit close, but it wouldn't be the first time for him to feature a game made with his graphics, and I think his blog post reads he'd be happy to hear what people did with it. Just as a though...

@BlueScope Haha thanks for planning to give it a shot! I'm sure you'll still do fine :P I hope you will still like it. But too old and cranky? I can't believe it hehe. I haven't let Danc know about my project yet, but I think it's a great idea! I'm going to email him immediately! It would be great even just to see what he thinks of the game :D

@rosareven lol rosareven you're absolutely hilarious! I absolutely cracked up when I went to that link and listened. I think I'll have to get something arranged after that. Perhaps a bonus nyan-cat level with the nyan-cat song XD
The tech demo is out now though, have a go and see what you think! :D

TECH DEMO IS UP YAYYYY!

I finally did enough today to get a basic tech demo up and running - it's very basic right now so don't expect too much, but it should show a little of how gameplay will be! Instructions are on the game page. Press the skill keys and try out some of the skills. It's not quite a game yet because you can't die, the player has no HP or Mana, and there's no end goal yet, but hopeully I can get something more proper up soon. The GUI also needs tweaking quite a bit. If you try it out though, let me know what you think about the skills and the process you need to go through to trigger those skills! Also let me know if there's any lag issues, and if there are what kind of browser and computer you're using. Cheers!

Try out the demo here! [Click Me]

Note: If the beats are out of sync with beat of the music, reload the webpage to put it in sync. This will be fixed once we have a title screen going! :)

Controls
Movement_Keys.png

Arrow_Keys.png

* Note: Enemy Attack and Heal and Deflect Skills do not yet work. Mana Beats do not yet add mana, only points.

Wow, such polish! This is even more impressive than I was expecting from your screenshots.

Holy poop though, I wasn't able to complete even 1 single skill beat. The mana beats weren't a problem, but my brain mostly fried when it implied I had to hit 2-3 directional keys at once.

Maybe decrease the difficulty curve a little for the beginning? I'd expect the multi-key beat combos at some point, but let me try to get better at keeping up with the game first before throwing them at me! Haha.

I could just be complaining because I'm old and have crummy rhythm though :P

WOW. JUST AMAZING! You did a great job.

I agree with Venetia though. The difficulty is really super high. It's difficult to know what to do sometimes. I had the screen full of ladybugs and I didn't know what to do. Kill them ? Maybe just the mana beats is enough and just increase the speed of the beats. Pressing many keys at the same time is confusing.

As I said in scirra arcade, I believe your game will be among the finalists. Keep up the good work!

It's a really interesting concept that I could only really grasp after playing it. I thought the cutesey thing would kind of move on it's own, but you moving it yourself... heh, it does make for a very interesting challenge to coordinate both music and movement at once, given that both involve up and down :D
For those like me who own a Gamepad, you might want to include the gamepad controls as well. No idea if you did that already (as I'm playing at work right now), though.

The controls itself were ridiculously complex at first sight. I had that kind of problem with my game as well at first, and I numbed it down to a minimum of keys to control everything. Of course, you can't really do the same with yours as everything has to be simultaneously... but maybe you can think of something to make it a little easier to comprehend... not that it would be entirely overwhelming, but I feel it's not as simple as it could be... dunno... ^^"

Must be my favourite entry so far, I gotta say... but I didn't play all of them, and the difficulty might turn some people away (though it's one of those games I'd consider challenging instead of difficult, as there's nothing hard about it when you look at the speed of progression - it's just a matter of coordinating everything... "just" :tongue:
Best of luck, remember you only got a few days left ;)

I think one thing that could improve for us mere mortals, would be to add different colors for each type of arrow keys, because the notes come all with white and blue with a slight difference between them, so there's no way :(

or the notes come from the top down, less like the image below :D

34rvujm.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your encouraging and helpful comments! From what I gather a lot of people find the difficulty curve of the game too great. In the final game I plan to make stages whereby the difficulty slowly increases, and new skills become unlocked one by one (so that the player gets a chance to get used to them first), so hopefully that will help the difficulty curve. Also I did get carried away with some of the combinations for the skills, so I will be tweaking those to make them easier! Right now, I've decreased the rate at which mana beats appear - one thing I forgot to mention previously though was that it's okay to not hit these when you don't need mana (which should also make the game feel a bit easier as well).

@Venetia @Tomas I'm glad you think the game's polished. I'm still working to add a little bit more! :)

@anthonykojima The ladybugs look far too cute to kill don't they? Haha yes you're meant to kill them :'( I've made them more easy to kill emotionally now by adding angry expressions on their face... hope that helps ^^;

@BlueScope Thanks heaps for the advice man. I'm trying to think of a way to make things a little simpler, but it's quite difficult when I still have things I want to add that may make things more complex >_< I'm glad that you feel that the game is challenging instead of too difficult :) Thanks for the reminder for the time, I'm trying to work fast! xD

@Eventing_Guy Haha, I suppose that's one way to play xD

@joannesalfa Haha thank you :)

@gillenew Hi gillenew, thanks for the suggestions, and taking the time to make the mock up. I considered making the arrows go down from the top of the screen but chose not to because I was afraid it would make the battle screen too crowded (the monsters would be closer at the start) but I think this is still something I should consider doing because it feels a little more intuitive. I think the suggestion for changing the color of the arrows is great, however I'm using colours to signify different kind of arrows in the game, which would make it confusing if I used both. I added lines to help align the arrows for the player now though! I also like the way you structured the arrow pad but realized it may make things a bit more difficult for the player when they may have to press the "Up" arrow to a different beat than all the other arrows, but I definitely want to test it out to see which controls are better when I have the time (don't think I'll make it before the end of this contest though!). And hey! You've got a copy of the same arrows I have! XD

I wish I could have replied to all of you separately and in more detail, for all the great comments I received over the past few days, instead of replying in one big post, but the deadline's quickly approaching and I'm still scrambling to get everything I want in the game finished.

One last thing, I have uploaded a slightly updated version of the game now, so have a try of that and see what you think!
http://valkyriegames.net/musicfighter/game/.
You might have to clear your cache to see the updated version!

So... Final day of submission has come.

And I'm still working! T-10 hours for submission and I'm not nearly done. I'm in front of my computer and it's 1.49am in the morning. I think I'm going to have to pull an all nighter on this one!

Anyone else still going at it?

You bet I am... but hang in there, there's a lot of time left still ^^
(actually, in theory, there's enough time to make a whole game... maybe I should start over :smoke: )

j/k

Jason

Awesome Bro

Don't worry, you're not the only one under pressure lol, at first we were ahead of schedule, but last night my computer crashed while I was working away, so I've got to redo things, lol... almost finished now though :)

Hope you get it finished!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.