Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Isometric View - Almost 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use the standard placement stuff.  I think the demo had a saved game in the height room, so that might be why you returned there.  The system uses your standard eventing like normal, there shouldnt be anything special.

Edit:
Mo, that sounds like a good idea, what if I use something from my TBS to draw the tiles at the height they are, and just do that for all tiles for the screen when a certain switch is active.  That wouldnt be hard to do.  I will have to do that later, but for now I will have to be as is.  I dont have time to work on this script along with my others at the moment.

Gubid, you could also do something like the pixelmovement script, where you have a separate image that tells you how high something is?  Like, the lighter the color, the taller it is?  That'll cut down on all the maps needed too.

Gubid":74f7miy6 said:
Mo, that sounds like a good idea, what if I use something from my TBS to draw the tiles at the height they are, and just do that for all tiles for the screen when a certain switch is active.  That wouldnt be hard to do.  I will have to do that later, but for now I will have to be as is.  I dont have time to work on this script along with my others at the moment.

You should also display the numbers for people having a hard time with the visuals. I was thinking RMXP style, where you click to increase/decrease the height and then dump the information to a file(ie Map001.rxdata) that RMXP can read from again. Shouldn't be hard. Actually, now that I think about it, it should be very easy  :thumb:

And yeah, I hear ya, I also need to finish my scripts in order to work on anything else...

Gubid, you could also do something like the pixelmovement script, where you have a separate image that tells you how high something is?  Like, the lighter the color, the taller it is?  That'll cut down on all the maps needed too.

You don't think thats harder then just clicking?  :tongue:

Mr.Mo":3e13galm said:

You don't think thats harder then just clicking?  :tongue:

:x  Not... really?  I guess I'm just weird.

Mo you will have to help me out with that.  I can use a mouse script to get all the existing data, and possibly to change the map also, but to write it back out in a new map file, while I sure that its just a marshal call, is there a certain object I would need to call?

Here is what I have in mind. I'm writing it late at night so...it might be not be very accurate.

You load the map:

@map_id = ID
    @map = load_data(sprintf("Data/Map%03d.rxdata", @map_id))

On the map you basically edit:

@map.data

This is the RPG::Map class which is loaded when you load the map(like above)
module RPG
  class Map
    def initialize(width, height)
      @tileset_id = 1
      @width = width
      @height = height
      @autoplay_bgm = false
      @bgm = RPG::AudioFile.new
      @autoplay_bgs = false
      @bgs = RPG::AudioFile.new("", 80)
      @encounter_list = []
      @encounter_step = 30
      @data = Table.new(width, height, 3)
      @events = {}
    end
    attr_accessor :tileset_id
    attr_accessor :width
    attr_accessor :height
    attr_accessor :autoplay_bgm
    attr_accessor :bgm
    attr_accessor :autoplay_bgs
    attr_accessor :bgs
    attr_accessor :encounter_list
    attr_accessor :encounter_step
    attr_accessor :data
    attr_accessor :events
  end
end

@map.data is a 3D array holding all 3 layers of tile id for every X and Y. So, thats all you basically need to do to, swap the tiles

@map.data[mouse.x,mouse.y,0] = TILE_ID # Height Tile ID

I would probably use either a textbox window for quick editing cause left click to increase and righ click to decrease might take too long on higher objects.

If I remember correctly, the tile_id does not start at 1 or 0, it starts at 384. so you get the user written height from the window and you add it to 384.

@map.data[mouse.x,mouse.y,0] = 384 + USER_HEIGHT

To save it:
  filename = sprintf("Data/Map%03d.rxdata", @map_id)
  save_data(@map, filename)

Oh an btw, you'll need to load both parent(visuals) and child(for editing) map.

OH MY GOD! You just did it all for me Gubid! I mean, I liked your tactical system a bunch, but I though it was ugly on a non iso game. Now it is iso.... so I love it!!!! Just one question... After you incorporate everything, will it be possible to have some maps functioning with the tactical system, and others only with this system and pixelmovement? If that would be possible, then you would be DA KING! Anyway, I freakin' love you man! You are the king of the hill!

Really nice, this is fooling the eye...you can´t make 3D games in RPG maker xp, but you can easily make it look like 3D.
Great work!

Monk

PLEASE tell me you're going to incorporate this with your tactics battle system.  I've wanted to make my own isometric tactics game since I first played one years and years ago.

GTBS 1.3 was released with this ability integrated. 

Mo.. I will look into a way to do that.. its going to be a back burner project though, so I likely wont be really soon.

Pixel movement stuff in the tbs.. I will eventually get an update for that so that they will work with each other.  Hold tight.

Hero

This script is awesome to the max :D . I always wanted to make an Equinox fangame, but the lack of an isometric script made it near impossible. And now that the script is here, I'll probably get around to making the game whenever I'm not working on anything.

needs to be compatable with new mode 07 and fozberchgen's pixel movement
oh yeah it also needs a (eight dirrectional movement option)

So let me get this straight before I decided to download the demo. In order to have my map look like that do I have to have a certain type of tileset, or do I use the default one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.