Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Forum Switch Preview

Rare

I think it is possible...but then again I might be totally wrong. Isn't that what Erk did with .net --> .org? Can't remember. Well whatever they do it's for a reason. A day of posts isn't going to kill anyone. It's not like were losing the whole submitted scripts section xD.

Nope, it's a minor inconvenience at most to lose a handful of posts. Of course someone will bitch about it. Just thought it could save a little whining.

I'm not sure if that was what happened. I stopped going to .net before that, and came to .org afterwards.

Rare

sixtyandaquarter;309976 said:
Nope, it's a minor inconvenience at most to lose a handful of posts. Of course someone will bitch about it. Just thought it could save a little whining.

I'm not sure if that was what happened. I stopped going to .net before that, and came to .org afterwards.

Yep, everyone always have something to bitch about. I'm such a hypocrite, I do it all the time. :P

I dunno, losing one day of posts in a "smooth" switch would be preferable to a day or so of downtime and not even having those posts to begin with.

You know what they say: better to have posted and lost...than to never have posted at all...

sixtyandaquarter;310026 said:
So it's a lose/lose situation - err I mean bitch/bitch situation, then. Well, cept with a good outcome in the end.
It's a good chance to shamelessly promote the IRC channel, in my opinion.

$t3v0

Awesome Bro

TREG;310052 said:
We're doing the switch at an inactive hour (late night) in order to minimize disruption, and it should only take a very short while to complete. Most users won't see their usage disrupted in the slightest.
Not for me ;-;

Rare

TREG;310052 said:
We're doing the switch at an inactive hour (late night) in order to minimize disruption, and it should only take a very short while to complete. Most users won't see their usage disrupted in the slightest.

A very short while? Just tell people not to post beforehand. ;)

It's not the end of the world people D=

I only come on at late night though :(.

Nah, I seriously think people need to get priorities straight if an hour of downtime is OMG CAN'T POST SERIOUS BUSINESS!.

Oh, and any idea on how soon we could be seeing subscriber features returning? I have stuff linked to my .us FTP that's all

Kudos to whoever made the skin. even if you google it, not a whole lot of SMF themes can be found :P

At least not like the billions of skins you'll find for Invision Power Board and phpbb2

Thanks- although we'd be making an original skin regardless of forum software.

Update on the skin: it's nearly complete- only a few small touches remain before we'll reveal it with some more screenshots (and it might be available for use sooner than you think). If all goes well, the skin will be finished tonight.

shadow

Sponsor

I suspect the transition will be sometime this week or early next week.

It'll be announced well in advance, and we'll give a time and date that the forums will be temporarily unavailable. A little bit of downtime will be necessary to minimize any corruption while converting the database (2-3 hours maximum). This will obviously be late at night and hopefully not affect too many people.

We will have a thread open on the new forum for people to post any questions or issues they are having with the new forums. Expect some cool features to be rolled out a week or two after the transition (blogs?).

Shortly after the forum transition is complete work will begin on the new main site, which will be discussed more in depth in a later thread.

I made a mini pre-switch FAQ for anybody not totally up to speed on the transition.

1. What is SMF?
SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is an open source forum software (similar to VBulletin). It contains many of the same features.

2. Why is RMXP.org switching to SMF?
Because the current setup is very heavy on server resources. SMF is a lot lighter on CPU and RAM and we plan to tweak it to our specific needs. It will also be easier to integrate into the new main site. Another factor is cost and licensing.

3. Will any threads/posts be lost? Will I need to re-register?
No. Everything will be converted.

4. What about VBulletin features like spoilers?
Hopefully, we're working on it.

5. What about sponsor badges?
We are going to let subscribers/sponsors replace the "Member" badge with their own sponsor badge.

I'll edit this post if I think of anything else.

I hope Spoilers work when you switch.

And why is TREG not Management anymore?...Maybe all the good people will come back..

And i am glad to still see you here 60.25

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.