Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

First Person RPG

I like this system. It's pretty clever.
I, as others suggested, agree that there could be some fine-tuning when it comes to movement. Aside from that, the only real problem is that it certainly exaggerates the artists' mistakes. Other than that, it's genius.

First thing I thought of when trying your demo was 8-directional, but you've already listed it as well as some others.

Regarding running/walking... how about jumping.

Animation is good, but consider if it's going to be the basic 4-frame system as pre-set by RMXP, or an enhanced version like an 8-frame version ( or a built-in switch between the two ).

And returning the usefulness of 'Autotiles' for animations like running water, or for quickly drawn streets, paths, mesa tops... whatever. Possibly like having an image per 'autotile' that in itself is divided into blocks like the autotiles are... left-top block of the auto-tile represents the left-top block of the corresponding image's. And if the 'autotile' is a collection of 4 tilesets (like water), then you'd have a image collection (like 4 images for each frame of the water).:D Kinda thought that one on the spot.

Reflections and shadows would be a MAJOR hurdle. I don't know how Rataime ever figured that one out.

I'd check compatibility with othe scripts. Maybe making sure that things like Day/Night scripts don't give any problems.

Don't worry about audio effects. Looking at this script, other scripts that mess with audio based on distance should work with this anyway. :D

Nix

One thing that bothered me is I tried to add in a moving character, but despite the event having a movement pattern, it would only show up in the game as a stationary object, without any movement. Is there any way to fix this?

Ceiling tiles. Yep. What's a dungeon without stalagtites coming from the roof, or a tavern without a noticable wooden ceiling (with a set of stairs that go through the opening in that ceiling). Possibly by using the 'priority' flag, or some other thing in the tileset system, you'd be able to flag where a particular ceiling tile is supposed to be... let alone it's apparent height (10' tall ceilings... 20' tall).

One thing that bothered me is I tried to add in a moving character, but despite the event having a movement pattern, it would only show up in the game as a stationary object, without any movement. Is there any way to fix this?

Yeah...I forgot about that. First off, the refresh statement is only called when you move. So, theoretically you would only see it's new position when you've moved, but for some strange reason it doesn't recognize the new x and y positions when you do. What I think I'm going to have to do is make a completely seperate update and refresh method for events. It shouldn't be hard to do and I bet I can get that part done by tommorrow. I bet I'll have it done by tommorrow and even have it so that you can animate them.

Ceiling tiles. Yep. What's a dungeon without stalagtites coming from the roof, or a tavern without a noticable wooden ceiling (with a set of stairs that go through the opening in that ceiling). Possibly by using the 'priority' flag, or some other thing in the tileset system, you'd be able to flag where a particular ceiling tile is supposed to be... let alone it's apparent height (10' tall ceilings... 20' tall).

Well, I'm pretty sure you can put in stalagtites as a pop-up, and the wooden roof could be put in the background. I'll look into the ceiling height though.

Animation is good, but consider if it's going to be the basic 4-frame system as pre-set by RMXP, or an enhanced version like an 8-frame version ( or a built-in switch between the two ).

Actually, when you moving you're actually going through 12 frames of animations. So, basically, I could go through 4 frames....or I could go through 12 frames of character animation. Or...I could bump the pop-up movement to 16 frames and have 8 frames of character animation, but that would slow down the movement speed.

This is my priority list so far.

moving events
8-direction movement
autotile recognition
animated water
Cliffs/Towns
more pop-ups per tileset
running/walking
strafing
Animated ground
moving animation
priority
jumping
ABS
Tuned movement

Taylor

Sponsor

One thing you could try, is generating walls using autotiles, making it easier to map. And having different veiw distances depending if you are inside, or outside.

EDIT: ohwait- you already have autotile recognition on the list. XD

It's nice to see you have cliffs on your list, but just so you know what I'm talking about.

When you create a cliff for a normal RPG, it's only meant to suit one viewpoint. You don't see the sides of the cliff apart from the front. Wouldn't this be the same in this script? From the screenshots it looks like all the cliff faces are just thin columbs.

My suggestion. Before you go into heavier updating like cliffs, towns and ceilings, wait for that Mode07 script to be released. Then you can use that script to simulate floors, walls, objects and ceilings with perspective.

Also, how's about using the "pop-up" technique, except instead of a picture each popup links to a characterset. So you can have a tree with multiple sides and whatnot, and also the resize sprite script (I know there was one on .org, used for simulating perspective with sprites, namely used with pre-rendered backgrounds) could be used on them so you don't end up with white edges from resizing picture files.

Actually, what I could do is just expand the pop-up template to four sections. One section for each direction.

Mode07? What's that? I've been away for a while, do I don't know what it is.

Sorry about not coming out with any updates when I said I would, but there were some wierd bugs coming up when I was fixing the event movement stuff. I'll most definately have that part done by tonight.

This is a pretty nifty proof of concept. Currently I don't think it's quite easy enough to see what's going on, and there are some minor bugs, but, color me impressed!

What would rock would be getting this to work with the mode 7 script. Like, autotiles would read as mode 7 and everything else would stay the way it is in your game. Larger draw distance would be nice too, but not at the cost of killing my computer. If you could emulate the fog used in games like this to mask short draw distance it'd look wayy better.

Japa

Man, this thing's cool.

All you need now is to manage something that can be flat on the ground.

Also an idea is that you could make it use a differen't pic for different distances.

I'm gonna make a shining darkness clone!

Ok, I've updating things so that events can now move. Before I get to doing animated pop-ups, I'm gonna need(or want) someone to please draw up an animated person four frames long. I'm not gonna be picky, just take the sage and make him look like he's breathing or something. Use this template, but ignore the grass line thing.

http://www.box.net/public/eq87ncmh40

I'll be researching how to skew an Sprite. If I can figure out how to do this I can just skip 8-direction movement entirely and go to a more pixel type/free movement.

Marcus

Sponsor

this is a fucking BREAKTHROUGH... like that guy who was making the random map generator (but sadly never finished).

i think i might actually use this script. in fact, i'm thinking of making a Wizardry-esque dungeon crawler completely based on this script. let me play around with it a little.

by all means, please continue working on this. it's wonderful.

EDIT: Here are my suggestions for improvement.

You should enhance the script that it skews objects horizontally and vertically by about 50% when not directly facing an object to give the impression or peripheral vision. This shouldn't be too hard as you seem to have programmed all the hard stuff already.

Really, without this feature it's impossible to make good indoor maps because walls will always be flat facing towards you no matter what direction you're facing them. It'll give the illusion that the objects are rotating as the player rotates around them.

Ah, this makes things much easier than using events for first person...I'm gonna have a go with this demo right now though...Cheers! :D

Ok, just so the creator knows, mod07 is a feature most used in SNES games to streatch, skew and scale a sprite to give it perspective. If you've ever seen the world map in Final Fantasy 6 or Tales Of Phantasia, you will see that the map looks ever so slightly 3D.

Remember DOOM? That isn't 3D. It uses 2D sprites which have been stretched, scaled and skewed to look and form 3D shapes.

http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175&page=16&highlight=Mode07

On this page you will see the first ever screenshot of Mode07 in action in RMXP (Mewsterus' post). No-one has been able to get Mode07 to work in RMXP previosuly due to scripting differences and the disability to use the correct DLL files to make it work.

If you mixed that Mode07 script with this system, it would not only look brilliant (Doom style RMXP house interiors >.>), but it would definatly open up to yet another area of game making in RMXP.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.