Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Black Effect: Sequel to Under

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Hey Man! Great job on this game. I understand that because of the way it's made people will either hate it or love it, but the story seems enough to make the people who hate it keep playing. So far anyway.
BTW I should add that I love it. Like one of the masters of puzzles (ArtBane) pointed out the puzzles so far are really easy and I'm hoping to see some more interesting ones in part 2, but aside from that very very nice work. I even played it again to see how the story changed. Done very nicely by the way.

Is there some reason when you take water out of the box near the end of the game it makes a door sound, but nothing happens until you take out the rest?
Also. Assuming that Arshes lives in the end of Under, does that mean he will be making a appearence as well in TBE? And- Do you need any testers for TBE 2?

Awesome demo. There's a bug in the very beginning that will completely stick you in a neverending loop though.

After you escape from the jail if you rest on your bed it'll recap on the events, then load you outside of the jail. You can't visit the church or go back inside of the jail. If you use the battle plain in the Skill Shop, when you exit it will kick you back to the cave. If you leave the cave then try to continue, the priest says that Vanderhide is away, and you can't leave the church. The only thing you can do is rest on your bed, putting you in a neverending cycle.

If there's a way out of this... then I probably didn't find it because I found this really late at night.

Thanks for you comments.

@ Plasma: Secret spoiler, be warned.

I'm suprised you never found this in any of you're testing. lol. When you empty the first bit of water from the bucket it does open another door. Go back to the room you found the bucket in and another room is open. But once you completly empty the water to open the door you need to go in the secret room closes up.

@ Seirno. I PM'd you, but you must have one of the demo's of the game, and not the finished version that is released now. Thank you for playing though and I hope you try out the complete version.

Hello. Thanks to all bug testers and people with their suggestions. I've updated and uploaded the final version of T.B.E part 1. Comments are of course welcome, and part 2 should be done by the first week of May.

I started playing since I finished Under. Its a lot more difficult. A few things that I thought was annoying was the way skills were set up so that heal was the first on the list instead of slash or something (kept healing myself). I also didn't like how James could miss five hits in a row at times.
The Story is good so far, I like the part in the beginning where the guard gets hit and blood sprays on the wall.

Don't worry, the game get's way easier. The very beginning is twice as difficult then when you finish the tutorial. The tutorial is the jail scene. Keep at it, you won't be dissapointed.

I finished part 1. I picked up a few objects like a stick and a glowing stone that i never used. Were this items usable in part one, or are they meant for part 2?

Those are used for a few "side quests" I guess you could call them.

The stick is used to get a skill coin in the previous screen (in the cave). After you pick up the stick you go examine where the coin is and you have the option of using the stick.
The glowing stone can be sold to the guy in the cave shop back to the right of the first town for 1,000 (I think?).

Yes. I found 2 glowing orbs, but the shop does not appear if you don't save minex so I think if you choose to not help minex you'll have to find somewhere else to sell them.

Taylor

Sponsor

The Man;179531 said:
Also don't forget that by saving or not saving Miniex at the beginning of the game changes the game considerably. (You won't see to many changes though until after the Church tombs.)
You may have already fixed this by now- there is a house that is locked untill after the church tomb, in there is apparently Miniex' helmet, and there is blood everywhere.

However Miniex was outside the cave on the way to the next town, as I had chosen to save him.

Another thing was the jail key. When it 'is starting to break' you can use it anywhere to replay the message a screen flash that opens the door.
Can you release that guy who is in the same area as the player starts? The one at the opposite cell?

But now to download the new demo! *does so*

Ahh yes. Those and many other errors are fixed. Again, thank you for you're download and you're play. If you are going to play through the new version I was wondering if you could make a note of the total playtime when you are done. I know you're playtime will be quicker then normal because you know alot of the stuff you have to do already, but that's okay. Thanks again.

Taylor

Sponsor

The Man;198980 said:
Ahh yes. Those and many other errors are fixed. Again, thank you for you're download and you're play. If you are going to play through the new version I was wondering if you could make a note of the total playtime when you are done. I know you're playtime will be quicker then normal because you know alot of the stuff you have to do already, but that's okay. Thanks again.

Yeah, since I know stuff I've been saving alot more and not usuing certain saves but saving (lol) them for later use.
e.g one of the saves in the church tomb. I was to save that for when on my way out, only to find a new save had spawned. XD

Ooooh~ I'm seeing some intresting new things in this beta. :D

Bugs:
- Enter the Battle Plains, very clearly there is a problem in the bottom left corner.

- Have you scrapped the reordering of skills idea?

- Explanations/instructions are meant to be without a face, or name and with a message background right? The explanation about the glowing guard has James' face. Needs script lines to erase the face and name.

- When Miniex is getting beaten up, and he holds out his arms, I think his gloves disapear. Something strange happens about his arms.
...By saving Miniex there is something wrong with what he says, he says he scrubbing the floors for Pattern. I'm guessing this is remains or marks left behind by something (not inscriptions on the floor) but he then says the one of the guards was the worst of them... eh?!

- The top left corner of the jail outside has Priority errors.

- In my Didn't Save Miniex Save file- when I met him later (acting... very strange o.o) Miniex says "you're" twice, but it should be "your".
Then ... great. You HAD to make it you have to kill him. :<

- What happened to that cave from the first(?) demo? The one on the way to the second town that Miniex... was outside. I can't find the front entrance, have you re-arranged that area completly?

- You can walk upstairs of the second-town-church-basement from the "bottom". That is, the bottom side of the event. Block off the ceiling area under the stairs.
... same with the Item store.

- *enters jail* Hmm... am I imagining it or... YES! The lightest shade of Miniex-like guard armor is transparent, this isn't usuall obvious unless you talk to them, when they flash- certain pixels don't.

Now for tips:
- Both Skill Coin and Save crystal events should be set to "Fix Direction". Otherwise they change colour depending on what side is selected. (Although it could be affective to have a save crystal glow a different colour then "explode" out light before the Save screen appears, as long as it's always the same colour.)

- It's hard to tell what kind of save point is what. Make the disapearing one's either cracked or slightly transparent.

- If you are only ever have me- er I mean James in the party- one hero, then you could edit the ring menu to not show the party list.
To do this (if you don't know) find the part that activates other screens (Item etc.).
Skill, Equip and Status show the status window and activate it. Replace these lines with the appropiate $scene =, then add (0) to the end to use the leader. e.g $scene = Scene_Equip.new(0) will go straight to James' equipment screen.

- *shows paperwork* ..... *miles away from guard* :B Use conditional branches to check to Map ID, AND X and Y. Make items like this have infinite use so only if the correct co-ordinates are present does the event kick in (ofcourse) and have the item removed using the Change Items function.

- Wait third door? It's the SECOND! So- WAUUGHH asdfghjkl;*etc*
That noise reminded me of 'the white chamber'... that horrible *dooooonnnggg* and things get ugly... or fleshy. >.o
... Did those black soldiers glue the bodies to the ceiling? o.o That's crazy. (Especially for a game I suspect is going to be semi-horror.)

It's funny playing as a character refered to as James and not Jirby. XD

Also- According to the libraian the Place of Trials was moved. Was that before Inside? Because the place looks basically the same in TBE. (Just tileset difference... atleast I think it was last time I checked, a screenshot someone showed a short while ago looked more RTPy than I remember.)

Oh yeah- You appear to have trouble with your music, even with my volume rather high it's quiet. Quieter than most other RMXP games. When entering the jail, mommentarily the town music is loud. So my guess is different level tunes.
Fix? Get Audiacity (free i think) and edit the mp3s to change their volume. (Just don't set the WahWah filter to mega settings, you'll feel ill. x.x)

EDIT: Completed the demo. Two more bugs too.
Don't save Miniex and press on the hole on the map where the cave shop is "meant" to be...*ping!*
Instant game screw up if you don't do it RIGHT after the church tombs...
Is that left over from your own testing?

Lastly the save screen appears twice at the ending scene.

That's alot of bugs and I did not see them. Of course I didnt look for them, or maybe they have been fixed.
Well. I'm new here but I signed up to post and because this place looks really nice. This game is awsome! Even with the bugs I can see this will be a great game. You have re established my faith in the xp rmers. Truely one of the best. Now i need to try your other game.

Thanks Showman, and not to worry. Jirbytaylor is a kick ass bug finder. Most people don't notice most of a games errors. They will just come across them here and there. Thankfully a few people are nice enough to really look out for them, so at some point the game becomes error free.

@ Jirbytaylor: HOLY CRAP you found alot of bugs. I'll try to address some of your questions though.

- About the skill re-order thingy. Nope, I have not scrapped it. I'm just going to make it automatic. And hopefully add a spot where you can change the posistion of your battle skills from the menu.

- Miniex's dialouge about scrubbing the floors. It was meant to imply he found the secret passage as he scrubbed the floors on his boss's orders. Like he was cleaning. I'll fix that dialouge.

- About the cave(s). Things change depending on if you save Miniex or not. Different places open up or just don't show up at all. I'm pretty sure that cave only appears if you save Miniex. Alternatly, if that cave is not there, the Gr'omor caves that are blocked by a cave-in appear open.

- No, James will not be the only playable character.

Thanks for the rest of the errors, I'll get to them soon. And is it that obvious about the atmosphere of the game changing drastically? Hmm. I thought I covered that up until part 2, which does get very dark.

Thanks again.

Edit: I really got a laugh when I pushed the rock and the cave appeared. I don't know why but it struck me as funny. Yes, that was a left over from testing. You always seem to find those little test spots.

Well, here it is. The updated black effect. The game has went through a entire overhaul. Comments are not only welcome, but encouraged.

The demo is 4-8 hours long depending on side quests and how long it takes to solve puzzles. The average game lasts about 6 hours.

Taylor

Sponsor

Huh so there'll be other playable characters after all... I was thinking of drawing a battler showing James' back for this game but I never got around to it. (Probably never will with the current workload. D: )

Currently there's only been one other person in a battle with James. He joins kind of late in the demo but he's useful.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.