Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

ARGSS: Remaking of RGSS Player and Library

Hey vgvgf, nice stuff here. I am very interested to know exactly what your progress is, such as which classes are fully implemented and which are not. If you need to figure out how to optimize the Tilemap class, I'm currently working on a good Ruby implementation of Tilemap, meaning it's got to be really well optimized to make up for the overhead of the interpreter. I'm sure it can be ported to C++ once I've decided on the best way to do it. Making each tile as an individual sprite seems to be the best way, as long as sprites of the same tile share the same bitmap and efficient blitting is practiced.

I updated the first post info and added a progress list, but don't expect me to update it frequently, I'm not used to keep a log of the things I do.

If all keeps going well, ARGSS should enter the alpha phase and leave its current prealpha phase. A compiled alpha version may be released soon.
If you want to test it now, you can since the sources are available in the svn since some time ago, don't be scared of c++, it's not that difficult to compile a c++ project, more info here.
(It can run rmxp games already, but not all features are available and there are some bugs there)

@rey meustrus, I would like to see it, however the way I'm doing things in c++ is quite different from the RGSS api, mainly because I need to handle Z coordinate manually and draw things in order (first back ones, then front ones) and that includes that I need to intercalate sprites, planes, etc with the tiles from tilemap.

I assume we can use "require" in our scripts with ARGSS...and if there's a precompiled executable I would suggest also including Socket classes for multiplayer. If you're interested in cross-platform compatibility you might want to think about making a built-in Mouse module and extending the Input module for full keyboard support.

Also, shouldn't the RPG data structure be written in Ruby instead of C++ anyway? It's not like those classes have any real functionality besides being containers.

Yes, you can use require, and it works with .so files, not like rmxp/vx. I plan adding mouse support, but I don't think so about sockets.

Using the rpg data structure in ruby could be a security hole for encrypted projects, as the plain text could be editted and some kind of code injected, like my RGSSAD Extractor. And writting it in c++ doesn't have any disadvantage.

Maybe I can add the rpg classes as plain text in the exe, and make a crc before using them. I should do the same for every string used in ruby.

VGVGF, this looks awesome.
Question: Will this effect the scripts (probably custom ones, nto the defaults) of any projects that use the modified files?

I'm with troubles compiling the project, I get a "couldn't find the file "simpleini.h" (it's in the dependencies folder) and then if I place it into the src forder I get a:

Error 1 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'SDL.lib' ARGSS ARGSS

some ideia!? Thank you in advance and, Congrats for your project.

@Miles Castea

im not VGVGF i know. but i know what he's doing so ill answer your question.

This is a project to rplace the RGSS player. therefore it has to be compatible. if the defualt scripts are compatible then so will custom scripts. becuase scripts are made either by making you'r own functions ect. or using/modifying the defualts so if the defualts work, then so will the custom scripts.

Miles Castea":wbhzciey said:
VGVGF, this looks awesome.
Question: Will this effect the scripts (probably custom ones, nto the defaults) of any projects that use the modified files?
As LegacyX said, there shouldn't be any incompability. I'm trying to make ARGSS 100% with RGSS/2, so people don't need to change anything in their scripts.

xykudyax":wbhzciey said:
I'm with troubles compiling the project, I get a "couldn't find the file "simpleini.h" (it's in the dependencies folder) and then if I place it into the src forder I get a:

Error 1 fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'SDL.lib' ARGSS ARGSS

some ideia!? Thank you in advance and, Congrats for your project.
Can you give me more details? Are you using one of the builds projects I made? MSVC? Codelite? In release or debug?

I'm using the MSVC project, and I'm not sure about it but i think it was in debug mode. Hope this helps

EDIT: I try debug and release, using MSVC 2008 project file.

Sorry, I've forgotten, the "vs2008" build is outdated, the 90 days trial finished and now I'm using vs 2010 beta, hehe. I'll download 2008 express and update the build project.

LOL and I was here raising a fight against my machine configurations XD guess there's no need, btw, when do you pretend to release the updated version? and one thing more how can I use the new RGSS and player? another things also is the speed, how many FPS are you obtaining and how much you intend to get? sorry for all the questions xD

Keep up the good work :grin:

@Ulqiorra if I understood the project correctly,you will continue dependent on RMVX and RMXP editor, because this project will only substitute the game.exe and the rgss202.dll... you'll still need some kind of editor (thew default one) of course when the ARGSS is finished, building a new editor should be pretty easy :)

LOL and I was here raising a fight against my machine configurations XD guess there's no need, btw, when do you pretend to release the updated version?
I'm now switching from sdl to other libraries, sdl wasn't good enough for what I planned. So, the next commit to the svn will take some time.
and one thing more how can I use the new RGSS and player?
I do not recommend to use ARGSS now for other than testing purposes, it's still on an early developement stage.
another things also is the speed, how many FPS are you obtaining and how much you intend to get?
I'm not getting now really good results, but I spect ARGS to be much faster than RGSS/2 when finished.

Alright, I have a question.

Will this be dependent on RMXP/VX? Probably an idiot question, but eh, had to ask.
As xykudyax said, this is only a game player, so you will need an editor, and the better one available at the moment is RMXP/VX. After finishing ARGSS I plan making a game editor but that can take some time.

vgvgf, I have a silly question.

You're going through all this effort to reproduce the rendering library, and perhaps eventually the editor, so my question to you is: why not make your own RPG authoring program?

Hi there,

i'm very happy, you're (hopefully) still working on this project. Imo it brings all that stuff, which would make the XP Maker perfect (besides five instead of three Layers for Mapping).

But how it's going? Can you make please an Update of your Work? Keep going =)!

greetz

$cHm0cK":2vkwqez7 said:
Hi there,

i'm very happy, you're (hopefully) still working on this project. Imo it brings all that stuff, which would make the XP Maker perfect (besides five instead of three Layers for Mapping).

But how it's going? Can you make please an Update of your Work? Keep going =)!

greetz
I haven't been actively working on this project lately, but I am still working. I have some problems with audio, as it is difficult to implement midi support.

I will make an update later, with maybe a new demo that can play games.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.