Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

We're back (for now)

You can call it a "Phoenix Shadow", when you use it your character revives but his level and stats are from a week ago, so all your power-leveling was a fail :P

No, all jokes aside, we love you shadow thanks for bringing the .org back, I was starting to have withdrawls.

I was seriously starting to think something bad was happening on all the RM sites, there were only 3 in my whole list I could visit...

CrankEye (that name always disturbed me...)
Neoseeker (nothing interesting there... EVER!)
Punk's Hideout (can't post at all, they're moving stuff...)

If I knew anything about "hosting" I'd probably help out, but I think my 'wife' would have a shitfit that I'm spending money just to keep a website running lol.

Damn, Myt accounts gone back to the old one.. i havent got my New Avatar or sig. That really sucks.

But its good that its back up. :) been missing it for 2 days :sad:

Thank god you guys are back. He heh, I'm glad I didn't post anything important here last week, but that does suck to everyone who did.

shadow

Sponsor

││█║▌│║▌║ ▌│║▌║ ▌││":2xtc7jzl said:
there's nothing that could have been done that wasn't done.
Make backups more regularly, as problems such as these never give you warning they just happen.

Do you have any idea how time consuming it is to wait 10 minutes for the backup to be completed then download the 700mb file every single day? I do it often but every night is pushing it... all that bandwidth really adds up.

did anyone else notice that verytime we hit a new page on this, the 5 last posts from the previous page disappear. They are still there, they just dont show.

Or maybe its just me... :)

zchin131":2u7ejen5 said:
the thing that really stinks is that all I ever did in the past week was spend :pissed: hours a day typeing out my story and putting character infos and I :pissed: never saved it on my computer was because I didn't have word! :pissed:
if it's not coming back i'm probably not coming back either and will have to type :pissed: all of it through summer on notepad!!!!!!!!!!

Let that be a lesson to you. Never just keep stuff on an online forum...it will probably disappear eventually, leaving you back where you were before you wrote anything.

Speaking of which...I have a lot of crap on a forum that needs backing up! Good thing I can make an SQL backup as an admin. Also, good thing I'm not a .org admin, or else all the posts would have been kicked back to...Jan. 3 2009! That's my last backup, is it...

I'm curious as to what kind of outage happened...has the server blown up? Or was it a temporary thing? I assume that we're back a week because of the switch to a temporary server, not because the data was necessarily lost but because it's stuck on a defunct machine.

shadow

Sponsor

We don't exactly know, but we've lost contact with the account holder of the box (jamie from slacked). But the server is inaccessible and all data is presumed lost. Could be a payment issue.

Thanks shadow, its better than a month lost.

However, my name is back, my avatar is back, I just got included in This Week, in one day, its gone.

Can you include me and my topic in the next this week? Some of my points in the topic was gone, I'm going to fix it back anyways.

Not a big problem, I don't want to whine about it.

I don't know what you mean about your name and avatar being "back". Were they changed? If so, then you'll have to change the av again yourself and PM an admin to change your name again.

Just a note for the future:

If you are making a thread that is that important to you, save it as a txt file. It will take up all of a few kilobytes of disk space and will allow you to edit your thread even without Internet access, while allowing you to have a secure backup for if anything like this were to happen. God bless Microsoft.

Justin was "Cakes of Happiness" before the switch.

shadow":3a4zlodb said:
Yea, we had no warning this was coming, otherwise I would have done more backups. :(

Hehe, sorry but isn't that the point of a backup? If you knew when the problem was going to come, you'd just do a backup right before it came.

Anyway, on the question of more regular backups, would a chronjob not solve your problem? You just make sure you have a backup host somewhere that gives you FTP access, and you have a cronjob run a php script that downloads a backup and FTPs it to the backup host. You could make it auto run as often as you want. If you wanted to do it nightly, you could do it at whatever time is the lightest on traffic.

shadow":3vh12sk1 said:
Do you have any idea how time consuming it is to wait 10 minutes for the backup to be completed then download the 700mb file every single day?

Hey smart one, it was a reply to this. He was talking about sitting their and manually doing the backup. Why don't you read before you start opening your mouth next time?

Fucking try to help and get attacked.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.