Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The sketch thread!

Aww coyote~ If I were me I'd recommend finding a social group in real life, I'm in a few (pretty surprising considering in 2008 I was a societal recluse and didn't like talking to people) and they've helped me out a lot in expression through art. I also have a bunch of neato friends on discord- also being in a family-like gamedev team helps immensely.

Speaking of art, I did some!
She; True Impetus of Destiny
mZlAMqL.png

hrrnnggg getting her right hand (our left) and arm to look natural was tough and I gave up eventually.

Tristy's Grief
ed8OAGK.png
iX4zK5D.png

FkX3tiO.png

A bunch of stills from an animation where Tristy has a large part, I'm happy with how these turned out.

And lastly, some doodles I sketched during my art workshop where I socialize with other artists.
uGGtODL.png

FaBD0d3.png

There's more but i don't wanna fill the page too much more with this post.

Did some more album art upgrades and enhancements in preparation for the upcoming musics I would be given.

Systemic Bipolarity
4zZWZ6E.png

Had a lot of fun with this piece, giving it that kinda zen feel- but also making it radiant like the Coruscant Snake should be!

Last bastion of Insanity
gXjlU1t.png

Pep in a more somber mood, showing some more complex sides of his character.

Defiant Until Beyond Time
pv2LV3b.png

Pep shown in an environment of ensuring chaos. Standing up right and persistent in it, being the catalyst of its weathering... the Perseverance Icon Glows bright like the courage of a fool.

oh shit you takin requests alrighty then

Pick your favorite~

also yes I have some new art to show~!

Serenade of the Snow-speckled Soviet
DczkOba.png

Svoli bein... well-- Svoli!

Geneality of the Forbidden Cherubim
wJklw23.png

Pep in his cherubim form.

Icon of Regicide
1blpXwV.png

Zardari (final antagonist of Menagerie) got a new outfit. :0

Still haven't got my pen settings to where they were before. On top of adapting my new keyboard spacing. On top of Win X constantly cockblocking me with it's "Smart" and "Intuitive" features that I don't know are there until I try to do something. Feels like trying to breaking in new shoes. You stretch. You get comfortable. You're walking. You skip into a run. Then try to sprint, but Cortana ties your shoelaces together and you face plant instead.
nbbs4u6bbd10b6i6g.jpg

Caturday~
Played with my pressure setting more. Found how to turn off Window's Pen space. Inconspicuous checkbox in a third tab of a special wacom settings menu. It wants to try to read and convert my handwriting to text. Couldn't highlight text or move windows with my pen.
3ui7eb2nhz15brx6g.jpg

Was the pen behavior change a recent thing for you coyote? I used to be able to move windows with the pen, and then one day it changed. (Trying to reposition the window scrolled the window instead.) The day that happened, I had to find a registry hack to get rid of it.

I hadn't used my tablet outside of drawing until now. I think I should have noticed something weird the other day when I was in Flash. I couldn't grab a window. I was demonstrating some basic animation to my niece & nephew. But I thought it was because they were touching and grabbing the tablet while I was using Hotkeys. I thought they did something and it would go back to normal if I restarted.
But then I remembered what you said about Tablet Mode and all that weird stuff. Yeah, it was doing all kinds of weird. I was afraid I'd have to do a registry edit like you said, but someone online pointed out where the option was to turn that weirdness out.

The only other weird thing with my computer is the the Function Keys on this laptop aren't Function Keys unless I hold the Fn button. That's a little annoying and backwards from what it was. But this laptop doesn't have any other volume control. So it's like f7 and f8 are vol. up & down, normally. If I want to use f7 & f8 then I have to press Fn+f7, which requires 2 hands or an awkward stretch with 1.
In Flash, I kinda need the function keys for quick and easy workflow. Not that I do a lot of animations anymore. I might be able to change the hotkeys to something more convenient.

coyotecraft":31yzmy0o said:
Caturday~
Played with my pressure setting more. Found how to turn off Window's Pen space. Inconspicuous checkbox in a third tab of a special wacom settings menu. It wants to try to read and convert my handwriting to text. Couldn't highlight text or move windows with my pen.
3ui7eb2nhz15brx6g.jpg
My dude I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this! I've been dealing with a fever the last few days, conveniently when all the threads I'm active on decided to go and explode. Thanks much!

I've had artwork to show for ages, but a thread barren of responses and then a body barren of the energy to post made it difficult to go through with revealing them.

But that all changes... now!

Renae and Cathy (Original Doodle)
0xyvOIy.png

These came out well, and I didn't comprehend just how popular they'd become. Two fanarts mere minutes after I'd posted, and yet more came and keep coming. But I'm not here to show those, i decided since these were so popular as mere doodles I'd go make them full-blown renders.

Renae and Cathy
wGgIoKL.png

Despite i was expecting some hype, I could not foresee just how much people would love these two. So yeah, i decided since Zen Aneia, the native homeworld of the kitsunes, would be the first place you visit in Disk 2, that I'd add some more so it didn't feel so empty, I started by accepting a fan's concepts theyd made after asking their permission to basically steal their idea / design, and they were like yeah sure, I of course, will credit them- because I am an honorable fella. They go by RiseEvil Demos.

Lily and Zephyrra
gGHe38K.png

Was listening to a lot of Border of Life while drawing Lily so her design unintentionally came out a little like Yuyuko, Zephyrra is baed wholly on RiseDemos design and get up.

Nanianne and Remira
1vyRfXb.png

At this point it occurred to me the designs were getting over-ambitious and complicated waaayyy too quickly for my liking, and also I'd filled up more than enough slots for Kitsune additions anyway, so I decided to not draw kitsunes again for a while.

Six hours with this level of quality is not optimal. There are a multitude of mistakes I've made.

With digital art you can always copy and paste an ornate floral design or whatever to use for Kimono and such. No shame in sparing your wrists from decorative elements like Runes and Glyphs. Better yet, make a digital bush that'll dispense all that for you, that is unless you're embedding your character designs with coded messages.

coyotecraft":t3dsajfm said:
With digital art you can always copy and paste an ornate floral design or whatever to use for Kimono and such. No shame in sparing your wrists from decorative elements like Runes and Glyphs. Better yet, make a digital bush that'll dispense all that for you, that is unless you're embedding your character designs with coded messages.
You're overestimating my technical knowhow of sai.

Flower designs sure but I like hand drawing the runes, it's more the ostentatious garments they wear.

And there's no easy way to cheese that. xD

Reminding myself how to draw my Oneiroi Bat characters. Trying to make them visually distinct so they register as Bats and not Cats or Rats with wings. I'm sticking with this curvy 'M' shape for the nose. And Smaller ears, rather than bigger. I haven't got clothing figured out.
vpcg2j2to38w3946g.jpg

Also reminding myself that Sven needs some disturbing imagery while he's adventuring in comaland. So far the games have only alluded to "blood baths". But I think that's all they'll be. Tasteful cringe. Nothing too traumatizing or hooking, so that with a little push from a Dream Bat he'll be able to walk away from it.
wsdzxt4p4pgw1ab6g.jpg

So in reality, Sven and his family are safe in the Heartwood Forest cabin during this 1 year period in Perseverance. But in the dream world this logic is inverted. So Sven would be safe literally anywhere else. Well, mostly safe. He keeps getting attached to things because of this meta-physical nail thing sticking out of his chest.

Best of luck with that! I've drawn quite a nice helping of stuff since my last post.

To Dodge a Bullet
4jJOIzA.png

Album art i produced because the other one was kinda two years old and definitely looked way shittier. Which is funny considering all i've done for shading here is add literally one highlight layer.

Dark Side of Fate
rJnrudE.png

I'm not gonna explain it but basically future alternate timeline Spooky. Often called by his boss monicker of "Deprived Agency".

Svoli Fullbody
SQSXWqL.png

Made this basically so PJ had a proper reference for Svoli's clothes, since I'm horrible at drawing them in a consistent way.

I played some online pictionary. I think it's bad for my drawing skillz. You end up resorting to stick figures and pointing arrows at things.
Then I had the crazy idea to ask my mom for a drawing request. Parents. They just don't get me. So after explaining slowly that I wanted to draw something for her, she's like "I don't know..." *looks around, out the window* "...stormclouds"
and I'm like "oof" and she's like "Whaat?" as if I'm judging her or something. I was really hoping to do something in the figure realm. I'm not big on scenery, but practice is practice.
So I played around with airbrushes and gradient tools.
do8ntt14ggfdco66g.jpg

You did good! I've been slacking it on art lately, only thing I've really done is some adorable Renae sketches.

Curious Dog
A1fDzOE.png

Glad Dog
8po0pNk.png

Bad Dog
xI4I5p7.png

Sad Dog
8D6htot.png

Mad Dog
xb1KQmP.png

Rad Dog
EnOOV4G.png

Dog is tired and sick of your shit
q3Dc9TP.png

There were some doodles i did during various song-writing classes I scanned in, too.

The Megalomaniac
dEYXlUc.png

Never not a joy to draw her.

Beware the Man of a Thousand Names
XuzPa0x.png

I'll switch out the gasterblasters, this guy is on the nose enough as is.

L'soiv D'pes
fhzMdRB.png

Concept of the Desert Kitsune leader.

Queen of Exhausted Shadows
cxqCtHX.png

She looks so over it.

I think thats all, sadly!

I've got too many S names. Sven. Sensor. Sonar. So instead of Spexter I might end up calling him Feeg. Feeg Mint. 'Cause he's a figment of Sven's imagination. Doh ho ho.

r9b283xwh6xnsj66g.jpg

Sonar: He's so cool! We should bring him with us. He's got an ice cream truck!
Sven: Where?
Sonar: Over there!
Sven: That's an ambulance.
Sonar: But he keeps popsicles in the back freezer.
Sven: Hrm. I think that's for organ transplants.
Sonar: So he's a rebel. Like you.

HOLY MOTHERFUCK IT'S THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!?

HOLY MOTHERFUCK IT'S THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!?

GIMME ICE CREAM, BITCH! GIMME ICE CREAM, BITCH!

sorry this is my blind way of responding when i see ice cream truck written out.

OH YES, I HAVE DONE SOME ACTUAL ART. As in... more than just boring-ass lineart.

Calamity's Herald
tsD4D8M.png

Xali, the first PURE EVIL character for my universe. Esperia had motives, The Twins have motives, Mira has some ideological justification and is nice to some people, Xali is just evil absolute. Like most characters whose name starts with an X, she is an incredibly dangerous being. Xepp is also VERY dangerous, it was just lucky for everyone that he was made relatable via his host and shared some compassion for not only Pep, but his close friends, as well.

Xali however, is completely unfettered by morals and emotion- her only motive is to summon a beast of calamity they will call "Outcome", as Xali's means of summoning relied on the entitlement to surreal cosmic progency, she would need only be patient while glitches would make her highly powerful. She herself is just that: A Glitch. The more unstable errors in the simulation, the stronger she is allowed to get, the race she originated from- Empirians- were so intently malicious that the Twins themselves put a universal bounty on their capture, and once within their grasp, would terminate them. That is how dangerous the Empirians were.

She's the last one, and alike M.F. Lazarus, she can no longer be erased, but not because of the lack of an existent shell, but because she is so thoroughly glitched the command no longer works on her. Worse yet, she's acquired the power to erase much like Yi possesses.

About 40 years after the events of Fantasia, she would bring about the Universal Calamity, and yet again rely on mortal provocation to ensure her plan worked. Her beast was defeated, but as she planned- it exploded, laying waste to over half the matter in the universe, this would set the stage for "Final Round", a game I will get to working on well in the future. It will be the final game that takes place in the Biztopian Cosmos, and will likely receive content patches.

Some more bat explorations. I really want clothes. But designing around wings is hard. Attaching wings to the waist or and elbow thorny thing, works with certain proportions. But I kinda I'm really short and chibi, rather than lanky. They're not truly bats to begin with...hmm, maybe I should try something like quicksilver. I also had a thought to do something make of candy or fabric. Maybe a ninja outfit...? More concept than I can be bothered to make.
I think this is close to what I want. But is the Biz universe overpopulated with blue cloaked entities?
7ovsgkxag9nrobr6g.jpg

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.