Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword

it's not a whole lot, just running around skyloft basically. skyloft looks a lot more interesting than most other starting villages in zelda games - there's a ton of stuff to do, a la clocktown in majora.

Alice Otterloop":gpu7roxz said:
skyward sword is fun but i died three times at ghirahim because the motion controls are fucking difficult sometimes :shock: :shock: :shock:

yeah sometimes they can get tedious when throwing bombs and whatnot but its so worth the tradeoff

its something that after playing for an hour it becomes second nature and its really cool that motion controls can do that
I mean there combat hasnt been this fun in a zelda game ever

This game has been out for days. Why aren't you playing it yet?? :pissed:

I bought Skyward Sword today and have been playing it for a couple of hours. I'm not very far into it - just managed to beat the first dungeon and do a few sidequests - but here are my thoughts:

PROS
-Non-combat motion controls work excellently. Puzzle applications of the motion controls are clever and fun.
-Game is fucking gorgeous. Screenshots and videos don't do it justice; it's one of the best-looking games I've ever seen. The watercolour-effect that happens to background scenery looks spectacular.
-The music is superb, through and through. Certain songs make me want to stop playing the game altogether and just listen to the music.
-Flying is an absolute blast. It takes a little while getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's probably some of the most fun you'll have playing the game.
-Game feels a lot bigger than I expected it to, especially considering how little I've played of it.
-Skyloft is the closest thing we've gotten to Clocktown since Majora's Mask and it feels like a worthy descendant for sure.

CONS
-Motion controls don't seem to work as well as I'd hoped. Sword fighting is manageable most of the time, but when fighting enemies that require specific swings, I often find that Link doesn't swing in the direction I want him to. Getting slowly better but it's a bit frustrating sometimes.
-The Ghirahim fight at the end of the first dungeon was more annoying than fun. I died three times against him. I don't think it was made very clear how to fight him; I had to rely on Fi to tell me what to do. Link's sword was also difficult to control and swing how I wanted it to.

I'm having a fantastic time with this game. My only regret is that I will not be able to play it tomorrow :cry:

-Flying is an absolute blast. It takes a little while getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's probably some of the most fun you'll have playing the game.
I am not a huge fan of the flying maybe its because i cant get the hang of it :c

-Skyloft is the closest thing we've gotten to Clocktown since Majora's Mask and it feels like a worthy descendant for sure.
I think that this is way better than clocktown. Every character is unique and charming and enduring.

-Motion controls don't seem to work as well as I'd hoped. Sword fighting is manageable most of the time, but when fighting enemies that require specific swings, I often find that Link doesn't swing in the direction I want him to. Getting slowly better but it's a bit frustrating sometimes.
The only thing i have a hard time with is bombs. I didnt die during Giraham but I also figured out what to do. I honestly thought it was better then any boss in TP mainly because every boss in TP was so easy it isnt even funny. I did however have a hard time figuring out how to kill the spiders jesus they took me forever

oh god man I would play the living death out of this game if I had a wii. sadly enough I don't have a wii nor do I really want one that much. sorry nintendo~

Fusty

Sponsor

Got it yesterday.
Nintendo's surprised me, the Wii Motion Plus makes the fights a lot more challenging than in previous zelda games!
I've found one big annoyance though: Your shield has a durability bar, once it's empty your shield breaks and that happens pretty fast.
Though I've just bought an Iron Shield so hopefully that will last longer.

I'm on my way to the second dungeon now, the first one was quite short and wasn't much of a challenge (Especially the boss fight) but I'm hoping this one will be a lot better.

If you do a successful parry with your shield, it doesn't take any damage. You shouldn't be using your shield for straight-up blocking like in previous Zeldas.

Parrying an attack and killing an enemy without taking any damages feels so good

moog

Sponsor

HMMMM I WONDER WHERE THEY GOT THAT IDEA FROM

sf3_daigo.JPG

Fusty

Sponsor

Alice Otterloop":gsarbu34 said:
If you do a successful parry with your shield, it doesn't take any damage. You shouldn't be using your shield for straight-up blocking like in previous Zeldas.

Parrying an attack and killing an enemy without taking any damages feels so good

Oh wow really?
That's pretty awesome, thanks for pointing it out :eek:

regi

Sponsor

I'm super late but I just started today and :heart: :heart: :heart:

So far it really has lived up to my expectations! Amazing music and cinematics, and Skyloft is really a nice town to start out. All the characters are so human, and I love the little details, how you can sit and chuck things and bowl them too. The stamina bar seems burdensome (heh) but I guess it makes sense. I'm just glad you can dash and climb much faster on vines!

Gameplay-wise, I'd say controls are a tad laggy, but otherwise battles play out nicely. I only wish they hadn't gotten rid of the minimap (or do they have it in dungeons?), now I have to check my actual map more often to make sure I don't get lost! The lack of a compass is nice, too, but do chests not disappear on the map after you collect them? o.o

I haven't even gotten to flying yet but I will get back and find my Loftwing soon~

This game makes me sad that I don't own a Wii. I'll just keep on playing Ocarina of time, wind waker and Twilight princess on my Gamecube.. :(

This game looks so good!

regi

Sponsor

Fusty":137aznku said:
Chests you've collected grey out on the map afterwards.
Ah, does that mean they don't appear until you collect them? Or am I just blind and missing them on the map?

Fi's kindof adorable, even if she speaks a lot... she's almost like a guardian Peri who flies around and lives inside your sword. Also the surface is so pretty! The beacon almost makes up for the lack of a mini-map, but ah well.

Fusty

Sponsor

They only appear if you find a dungeon map :)

And I agree about Fi, though I find her sound somewhat annoying at times.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.