Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword

fd3.png

Previous Thread: click here

Story

Skyward Sword is a prequel to Ocarina of Time. The incarnation of protagonist Link that appears in the game was born and raised in Skyloft, a group of islands floating above the clouds. Leading an ordinary life there, Link discovers the Skyward Sword one day, which leads him to another, previously unknown land beneath that is ruled by evil forces. Using the sword to travel back and forth between sky and land, the mystery of why the two worlds became separated is gradually revealed to Link.

He is opposed on his quest by the Demon Lord Ghirahim, a mysterious and powerful figure who rules the surface world, who wishes to kidnap Zelda for unknown purposes.Skyward Sword connects to the story of Ocarina of Time, and elaborates on the reason for Ganondorf's appearance.

Gameplay

The gameplay of Skyward Sword departs from the Legend of Zelda series' traditional flow of alternating overworld and dungeon exploration. Instead, the world is one big dungeon, nixing out all of the endless traversing found in previous titles. The controls are revised as well, with swordplay based on the Wii MotionPlus peripheral. This allows players to not only control how Link moves and swings his sword, but allows Link to interact with weapons and items in different ways from previous installments. This makes swordplay, something that was just 'waggle' in the previous game Twilight Princess, a lot more strategic in terms of where you lay an attack.

Another new feature is the Stamina Meter. The stamina meter will allow for sprinting and running up walls. This supposedly adds a new strategic element not seen in previous installments of the game.

Weapons that are rumored are a whip, a grappling beetle that flys and allows you to pick up distant items, a whip, gust jar, and bow. Instead of the traditional find and solve item mechanics found in previous games, Skyward Sword uses an Upgrade System which allows items to get better and hopefully make you use them more often. It seems like emphasis was put on a few items evolving over time rather than a bunch of items that you use one time.

Another notable feature is that there are now savepoints sprawled across the world. These also most likely act as a way for the player to return to the sky in a dungeon.

Supposedly there is 50-100 hours packed into this game, 100 minutes of cinema, a boss rush mode, and a master quest or second quest.

Media

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103919451_640w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103757173_640w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20110928071928573_640w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20110607110708347_640w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20111007100325698_640w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20111007100332300_640w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20110928071858827_640w.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20110607110720190_640w.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zm1tLH1Oks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0luFJcguoM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKWqUqcz-3M

legend-of-zelda-wii-banner.jpg

Talk about it. Discuss it. What do you think looks cool? Opinions, comments, etc.~

Fusty

Sponsor

I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm very curious about the Wii Motion+ stuff.
I just really hope that it's all working correctly, I would hate to see this game fail because of faulty controls.

I haven't read that much about it (may be on purpose, i dunno) but that upgrade system looks neat
Lets hope it works out the way they want it.

*activates harvest mode* :box:

regi

Sponsor

h-h-hot damn :fap: :!:

I'm ambivalent about all the new changes. The mega-overworld dungeon sounds novel, but at the same time, I hope they keep each area as a separate dungeon (I really loved the traditional treasure maps, compass, and (mini-)boss fights). I don't know about the upgrade system; it seems like Zelda's hovering closer to jRPG territory with all this enemy loot and crafting. However, if this means each tool will be used more, I'm sure the puzzles will be just as creative and fun. That was one of the main issues with Twilight Princess, the Ball and Chain and Spinner things were rarely used outside of their dungeons.

Graphics and music are incredible, though (although I have to say Zelda's sort of ugly). But all the creatures, majestic birds and enemies alike, look super fleshed out and colorful. I just hope the control scheme doesn't interfere with gameplay.

Storywise, I'm glad they're adding more to the timeline! This new Demon Lord dude sounds weird (Gant was rather poorly laid out in TP) but I hope they can tie it well. Makes me wonder what they're going to try next. An "Atlantis" version of Skyloft as a prequel to Wind Waker?

Fusty

Sponsor

An "Atlantis" version of Skyloft as a prequel to Wind Waker?

Wasn't the Wind Waker kind of the sequel to OoT? (If I remember correctly you heard a lot about Hyrule and the Hero of Time in the Wind Waker..)

Anyway, I just now noticed the part about save points!!
That's a great addition imo, I've always completed Zelda dungeons in one gaming session because I was affraid I would get lost if I took a break at the middle of the dungeon :d

regi

Sponsor

Fusty":1m4978c6 said:
An "Atlantis" version of Skyloft as a prequel to Wind Waker?
Wasn't the Wind Waker kind of the sequel to OoT? (If I remember correctly you heard a lot about Hyrule and the Hero of Time in the Wind Waker..)
Wind Waker was a super sequel to OoT, yes (it occurred centuries later, after all of Hyrule was flooded and mountains became islands the people lived on). But if the people of Hyrule could live in the sky, why can't they live underwater, too?

Fusty":1m4978c6 said:
Anyway, I just now noticed the part about save points!!
That's a great addition imo, I've always completed Zelda dungeons in one gaming session because I was affraid I would get lost if I took a break at the middle of the dungeon :d
Oh yes! I used to always teleport out and save, just so I could teleport back in to a dungeon rather than trekking all the way through again :s

Game looks absolutely incredible. Day 1 purchase, without a doubt. Between this, Skyrim and Uncharted 3, it's a guarantee that I'm not getting anything substantial accomplished in November :fap:

When they showed the first trailers in 2010, I was pretty skeptical of the graphics. Since then, they've really refined the look, and I love how it looks and sounds. The more details I hear about this game, the more it sounds like it very well might be the best Zelda. It's gonna take a lot to knock Twilight Princess off my #1 spot, but this looks like it might just do it!

There's nothing about this right now that I don't love. The graphics in some parts are noticeable low-res but it's nothing that will bother most people.

I'm trying to hide as many details from myself as I can so most of the game remains a mystery. It's getting hard to hold out ;-;

luv that bird :heart: :heart:

regi":14pjb209 said:
(although I have to say Zelda's sort of ugly)
i have to say you're wrong and this statement doesn't make any sense :crazy:

I'm ambivalent about all the new changes. The mega-overworld dungeon sounds novel, but at the same time, I hope they keep each area as a separate dungeon (I really loved the traditional treasure maps, compass, and (mini-)boss fights). I don't know about the upgrade system; it seems like Zelda's hovering closer to jRPG territory with all this enemy loot and crafting. However, if this means each tool will be used more, I'm sure the puzzles will be just as creative and fun. That was one of the main issues with Twilight Princess, the Ball and Chain and Spinner things were rarely used outside of their dungeons.
no they have separate dungeons its just that they are now treating the overworld as a dungeon too instead of just an overworld. This should really kill a bunch of fetch quests that were found in TP.

Also yeah, I dont mind it hovering into rpg territory because it sounds like they are being smart about it. I think its awesome that there are fewer items with more uses and the uses evolve and change over time. I didnt use a lot of items in TP (ball in chain, light control stick, spinner, boomerang, and the double hookshot)

I still think that is Vaati or has something to do with Vaati because they are so similar its uncanny

regi

Sponsor

bacon":v02g09nb said:
no they have separate dungeons its just that they are now treating the overworld as a dungeon too instead of just an overworld. This should really kill a bunch of fetch quests that were found in TP.
Ohhh in that case that sounds excellent! I can see much potential for backtracking. And if they include a compass I will finally be able to know when I've collect all those damn secret chests :grin:

I didnt use a lot of items in TP (ball in chain, light control stick, spinner, boomerang, and the double hookshot)
I actually thought the newest tools were neat, even though they weren't used nearly enough. Though I want to see new puzzles for the standard arrows and bombs, I'm most interested in novel tools and their uses. The flying beetle thing looks interesting, but it's pretty similar to a maneuverable boomerang.

No, I agree they were awesome items but like you said they were limited. The beetle is extremely neat looking because it can grab things like bombs and them move them across the map and so forth. Not only that, it act like a scope.

Also,

Skyward Sword changes that considerably. When Link dives below the clouds, he lands in an area called the Sealed Grounds, just south of the Faron Woods. The game, largely through the sword spirit known as Fi, then gives Link a tutorial on a mechanic that's new to the franchise - dowsing.

Dowsing is an ability that allows Link to go into first-person mode and use the Goddess Sword as a sort of interactive compass. When Link aims the sword's "cursor" in the proper direction, he'll get a variety of visual and audio clues, including a directional arrow of sorts that points at the desired object. Link is able to tune the sword to look for different items or creatures, such as lost members of the small, furry Kikwi race that inhabits the woods. As Link searches the forest, he'll not only fight enemies and navigate obstacles but also seek out these creatures, which will eventually give him access to the Skyview Temple as he searches for Zelda.

:!: :!: :!: new deet's :!: :!: :!:

-Here's the kicker: there IS a left-handed option for those of you who want to hold your Wii Remote in your left hands. The way IGN describes this feature was a bit confusing since they start off by saying "Link can be left-handed," but I'm not really sure whether their next comments indicate that Link still actually holds the sword in his right hand while your control can be toggled, or that he will hold the sword in his "correct" hand (left hand) but you'll need to reverse the Nunchuk and Wii Remote. My sneaking suspicion is the former option because cutscenes would be dramatically impacted if Link uses his opposite hand. Suffice to say that if you select this option, the game will calibrate the Wii Motion Plus with the fact that you're playing with the opposite arm in mind.

-I've wondered a bit whether we'll be starting the actual game with six hearts, and IGN seems to confirm it here. The counterbalance to this? Typical enemies take off a full heart when they damage you. Say goodbye, three-heart runs! You shall be missed.
no more lefty racism!!

here's the intro video, translated into english:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox9pcs-_biw

oh, that is pretty neat. Im really glad they are putting the time into the details.

I especially love that you can toggle the HUD through 3 different settings and stuff.

:!: :!: :!: here is the first 15 minutes of gameplay, for those that are interested. :!: :!: :!: major spoilers obviously, view at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-TooOPpuI

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.