Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Downtime and switch to PHPBB3

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow

Sponsor

We're going to reimport all the SMF posts again tonight to fix the bbcodes. I'm testing to see if this will work off-site right now. If we try it, there will be very brief downtime (5 minutes or so).

shadow

Sponsor

No, nothing will be lost. The SMF posts are being imported back in, but anything new will be untouched. I'm still figuring out exactly how I'm going to do this.

shadow

Sponsor

I'm trying a database table merge on my test server right now, but it's taking too long so I'm going to bed. If it works, then I'll do it on the live forums tomorrow night (meaning fixed imagetags). If it doesn't work, well.. all the moderators will be busy editing posts for quite a while lol.

Zekallinos":r0uwxb6m said:
Is it just me or the search function returns very few matches? Say I search for the word "color" it returns me a grand total of 24 matches, which isn't really a lot. I can't find 9/10 of topics I often check that way.

I'm having this same problem here. I tried searching authors for Sephiroth, and I got 0 results. Yet, there is a pinned topic that he created in script requests. Something wrong there???

shadow

Sponsor

I'm going to be taking a break from the site for a few days to a week. I'm really tired from all the work and long nights I've put into this the past few days. Mega Lenin will address any major concerns with the site in the meantime, and I will return shortly well rested and ready for action.

It's a new software, so we're still working out a few kinks here and there. I know for a fact that shadow did something today that, should the forums go down, should bring them back up within an hour - so till we get things fixed, everyone is just going to have to hang in there.

Roph

A 10 year old can write a cron job, but it doesn't fix the problem. I just like how they're quick to try to blame something else, other than their apparent lack of expertise.

What are you talking about? The downtime and whitescreenins was way worse in SMF. And that wasn't the only problem anyway. We now have more efficient systems such as reporting posts, moderator logs, and warning members; as well as old systems which now actually work properly. Plus the layout of the site has certainly improved from before; the forums look a lot better.

Just give shad:eek:w and co time to work out and fix the bugs.

I just like how they're quick to try to blame something else, other than their apparent lack of expertise.

Yeah, I have a notorious reputation for making excuses for our staff. Sorry about that. For the record, I said it was a new software and we had just moved to a new server as well - so yeah, we are gainingexperience with these new mediums, and as far as I know, there hasn't been any major downtime today so apparently we're getting things worked out.

I don't know what else anyone can really expect.

Roph":231th98c said:
A 10 year old can write a cron job, but it doesn't fix the problem. I just like how they're quick to try to blame something else, other than their apparent lack of expertise.

I like how you can be snarky about a particular subject you're not involved in or educated on.

We were in the middle of setting up our beta phpbb forum AND the server when we were suddenly forced to switch. The glitches and problems that erupted were the children of not being able to test it out first.

But yeah, it's fun to complain about our not having foresight when looking back in hindsight.

While we're at it, George Bush caused Hurricane Katrina.

This is over. Topic closed.

p.s.: I've actually gotten comments from people that the whitescreens and server troubles are actually gone (they are for me, too), save that error the other day that happened during a time in which no one could reset the server.

shadow

Sponsor

Before, the server would often half-work. Now, it either fully works and works well, or works for nobody. We're on a new server with a new apache and we're trying to tweak the config until it's just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.