Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Downtime and switch to PHPBB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doctor":10fwnhnn said:
I've noticed that most longer messages are getting, shall we say... trimmed. I hope the situation is temporary and will fix itself?

Please, tell me it will fix itself. I really don't want to have to rebuild my review thread from scratch.

On another related subject, I feel the need to remind everyone of the first law of informatic: If it works, just don't touch it, ever. :gangsta:

I wish we could tell you yes but unfortunately that isn't the case. The post character length was less than smf's default and once it was struck the remainder was discarded.

Roph

What trouble were you having with SMF?

Do you feel it was SMF's fault or yours? :)

Is there any specific reason you continued to run a version that had been deprecated by a newer, patched verion well over a year ago? =o

Just going to report about my experiences with cookies and logging on and off... first, it was the usual getting-logged-off-after-logging-in-instantly-bullshit, but yeah... I tried deleting my cookies and stuff, but that didn't initially work.
Today, I couldn't even stay logged on long enough to enter the UCP, so I was deleting my cookies again, and guess what: Now I have no cokkies from rmxp.org, yet I'm permanently logged in. And no, I don't mean a session login, it has cookie functionality. Well... works for me, as I can finally post now, so just saying ^^

So regarding the character limit on posts, is that issue still recent, or did you guys drop the cap on this one?

Oh, and let me just get one thing straight...
Your message contains too many URLs. The maximum number of URLs allowed is 10.
Are you guys fucking serious? You raised the limit from 5 to 10? XD
That's really hard to understand for me here, as the amount of URLs in a post has no possible way to harm... so if you could please make this unlimited, or at least something around 30 or so. Thanks in advance

Roph":1s657lwj said:
What trouble were you having with SMF?

Do you feel it was SMF's fault or yours? :)

Is there any specific reason you continued to run a version that had been deprecated by a newer, patched verion well over a year ago? =o

The problem was SMF, on both Falcon and on this server, would crash and start delivering empty screens through the fault of some buggy process in the software. The program would get caught in some kind of loop with Mysql that would eat up all of the server's resources. This had been a problem since SMF was installed. When we moved these crashes became a daily occurrence despite the server having greater processing capacity and the night of the transfer not only did it crash but nothing was bringing it back up. We noticed that the phpBB3 test board we set up meanwhile was fine and completely functional. So stuck between having an extended period of downtime or just biting the bullet and moving we decided to move.

Second the reason we were using a deprecated version (deprecated by two updates) is because it was a sure thing in regards of working for the SMF -> phpBB3 converter we had procured. Yet aside from that the fact was the white screening was a problem that we've had since moving to SMF in the first place. And no newer version since then had done nothing in regards to improving that situation.

Yet there were other reasons for wanting to move that have nothing to do with SMF's love affair with randomly breaking. PhpBB3 has more features, some of which were necessary ones we needed to run a forum this large with any semblance of efficiency.

I've spotted something else. For some reason, every time I open a topic, the page jumps right down to the bottom. Anyone know why?

Wow I LOVE the new layout! It's awesome! See a few things in it that i disagree with but you said it isn't quite done yet. gone for two days and a lots changed! Got to say though shadow it's pretty amazing!

shadow

Sponsor

It'll get better. Also, as for trimmed posts, broken images, and etc... I plan to reimport all the SMF posts again, so that should be fixed.

shadow":155b4lx4 said:
It'll get better. Also, as for trimmed posts, broken images, and etc... I plan to reimport all the SMF posts again, so that should be fixed.

Woohoo! That's reassuring.

my sig has changed itself and everytime i try to copy an image tag it doesnt work. tried tinypic and photobucket. also even if i click submit it reverts back to what it originally was...?

The phpBB skin is pretty good so far, and I'm impressed by how quickly you guys were able to get it looking like normal. I really have to ask that you replace the thread icons with the old ones, though. It's really hard for me to tell when a topic has new replies because of the minute difference between a thin line of red and a thin line of gray.

Somebody said something about the page jumping down to the bottom, and I know why it does that. It does the same thing in most web forum software, and it's really more to do with the browser and your connection speed. Your browser renders the page as it downloads it, and some of the content isn't there yet, so it starts at the top of the page, but there's a command in the URL to jump straight to the first post you haven't read yet (the stuff after the #). Once the page loads, it tries to jump down there. I think that at this point, since you've been scrolling down already to follow the page loading, the browser jumps too far, until it's at the bottom of the page. It might just be some browsers, but the page is always going to jump like that. It only does this if you click the icon to the left of the thread or to the left of the last poster in the right column; clicking on the text of the title doesn't have this effect.

shadow

Sponsor

Siege":3t5yyorw said:
my sig has changed itself and everytime i try to copy an image tag it doesnt work. tried tinypic and photobucket. also even if i click submit it reverts back to what it originally was...?

All fixed for you.

hey lumi you wanna miss more important stuff while you're at it? OH GOD EVERYTHINGS DIFFERENT OH GOD OH GOD OHG

i think it looks pretty cool

Is it just me or the search function returns very few matches? Say I search for the word "color" it returns me a grand total of 24 matches, which isn't really a lot. I can't find 9/10 of topics I often check that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.