Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Version 2.8! CTB by Charlie Lee (v2.8) - aka a FFX like Battle System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question regarding the battlers. Is there any possible way to make the monsters stationary and use...maybe rm2k3 monsters? Because some of the monsters...when they attack they err...disappear during the attack pose...I'm sure it's fixable with toying with the scripts or whatever but I looked through it and don't really see anything related to making stationary unanimated monsters...

Hi Charlie, i'm having a problem with the CTB. I know you've answered this question, sorry to ask.
Basicaly I use Minkoff's 11pose sprite sheets, but wondered if it is possible to use multiple spritesheets.
So say I was using an 11 pose sheet and wanted to use an 8 pose sheet in the same battle or a 6 pose sheet.
When I use a sprite sheet that doesn't have 11 poses, the sprite will clash with another pose line (i'll post a pic to show what I mean.)
I read that it was to do with the number of poses and that it can be fixed easily enough, i've not got into learning scriptting yet, I am not to sure how I edit it without messing the script up. I tried reading the manual, but am still at a loss to knowing what I need to do.

I believe that editting the poses is to do with this?

# Editable Template (Some people wanted to change their template design) #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  MNK_POSE1  =  1  # Sets the 'Ready Pose'  (MNK_POSE1)  #1 in your template
  MNK_POSE2  =  2  # Sets the 'Struck Pose' (MNK_POSE2)  #2 in your template
  MNK_POSE3  =  3  # Sets the 'Woozy Pose'  (MNK_POSE3)  #3 in your template
  MNK_POSE4  =  4  # Sets the 'Block Pose'  (MNK_POSE4)  #4 in your template
  MNK_POSE5  =  5  # Sets the 'Charge Pose' (MNK_POSE5)  #5 in your template
  MNK_POSE6  =  6  # Sets the 'Retreat Pose'(MNK_POSE6)  #6 in your template
  MNK_POSE7  =  7  # Sets the 'Attack Pose' (MNK_POSE7)  #7 in your template
  MNK_POSE8  =  8  # Sets the 'Item Pose'  (MNK_POSE8)  #8 in your template
  MNK_POSE9  =  9  # Sets the 'Skill Pose'  (MNK_POSE9)  #9 in your template
  MNK_POSE10  =  10  # Sets the 'Victory Pose'(MNK_POSE10) #10 in your template
  MNK_POSE11  =  11  # Sets the 'Defeat Pose' (MNK_POSE11) #11 in your template

Is so, would I paste in another version under this, but with the amount of poses I desire?
For example this.
# Editable Template (Some people wanted to change their template design)
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  MNK_POSE1  =  1  # Sets the 'Ready Pose'  (MNK_POSE1)  #1 in your template
  MNK_POSE4  =  4  # Sets the 'Block Pose'  (MNK_POSE4)  #4 in your template
  MNK_POSE5  =  5  # Sets the 'Charge Pose' (MNK_POSE5)  #5 in your template
  MNK_POSE7  =  7  # Sets the 'Attack Pose' (MNK_POSE7)  #7 in your template
  MNK_POSE8  =  8  # Sets the 'Item Pose'  (MNK_POSE8)  #8 in your template
  MNK_POSE9  =  9  # Sets the 'Skill Pose'  (MNK_POSE9)  #9 in your template
  MNK_POSE10  =  10  # Sets the 'Victory Pose'(MNK_POSE10) #10 in your template
  MNK_POSE11  =  11  # Sets the 'Defeat Pose' (MNK_POSE11) #11 in your template

If so, how would I assign it to a certain actor's sprite sheet?

Here is a picture of the sprite to show what I mean.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8246/ctbproblemsa3.th.jpg[/img]
Thanks in advance.

What I'm going to tell you is from the .pdf guide to the configuration of Animated Battlers.
I really cannot understand why you people refuse to take some time and try to understand it and instead you keep asking others. Besides, i have repeated endlessly that you don't have to ask here for the configuration of Animated Battlers. This goes for everyone not necessarily Seekirus.
Anyway, since i feel generous today, here we go.

pag.9
MNK_POSES_ENEMY
This hash refers to the poses available for individual enemy battler images. It allows you to use spritesheets that
have fewer poses than the number of poses (set in the MNK_POSES value). You cannot have ‘more’ poses
than the maximum set, but you can have fewer.

which means that if you have enemy number 15 with 8 poses you will have to edit the configuration like this:

Code:
MNK_POSES_ENEMY = {15 => 8} # ID and # of poses for each enemy

pag.13
You can apply more than one custom layout at a time for your actors, though only one layout per battler.
Thus... Basil can have one custom layout and Hilda can have another, but no single actor can have two layouts.
Here’s an example for the ready pose:
MNK_APOSE1 = {2 => 2, 8 => 6}
The above sample sets battler #2 to use the 2nd pose in the spritesheet for the READY pose while battler #8 uses
the 6th pose.

pag.14
Custom Enemy Spritesheets
The Custom Enemy template mirrors the Custom Actor Template in function and design
with two main differences. The first... it applies to enemy battlers (duh). And the second...
there is no MNK_APOSE10 for an enemy ‘Victory’ pose as virtually every battlesystem exits
or goes to the gameover screen when the badguys win.

Now, let's take again that enemy with 8 poses. It was enemy number 15. Now suppose that the 8 animations in the spritesheet are used for the following "battle actions":

'Ready Pose' and 'Block Pose': animation in row 1
'Struck Pose': animation in row 2
'Woozy Pose': animation in row 3
'Charge Pose': animation in row 4
'Retreat Pose': animation in row 5
'Attack Pose': animation in row 6
'Item Pose' and 'Skill Pose': animation in row 7
'Defeat Pose': animation in row 8

No victory pose.

If you look at the primary template you find out that the 'Ready Pose' is MNK_POSE1 for the actors and MNK_EPOSE1 for the enemies, the 'Struck Pose' is MNK_POSE2 for actors and MNK_EPOSE2 for enemies, and so on.

The following configuration lets you specify the animations to be used for the different poses, for the enemy number 15 only, according to the above assignments:
Code:
MNK_EPOSE1 = {15 => 1} #'Ready Pose': animation in row 1
MNK_EPOSE2 = {15 => 2} 
MNK_EPOSE3 = {15 => 3} 
MNK_EPOSE4 = {15 => 1} #'Block Pose': animation in row 1
MNK_EPOSE5 = {15 => 4}
MNK_EPOSE6 = {15 => 5}
MNK_EPOSE7 = {15 => 6}
MNK_EPOSE8 = {15 => 7}
MNK_EPOSE9 = {15 => 7}
MNK_EPOSE11 = {15 => 8}

Thanks very much for the reply Charlie.
I fixed my problem with your help, I believe my main problem for the sprites being split in half was because I didn't change the frames cmd's for the amount of frames and such.

MNK_POSES_ACTOR        = {5 => 8}      # ID and # of poses for each actor
  MNK_FRAMES_ACTOR        = {5 => 4} 

Once i'd changed these the sprite was no longer in half, because it still was after fixing the poses.
Again thanks for your help and taking the time to reply.

Forsaken_Shadow":2i6anctg said:
Hey Charlie, just another question, is this compatible with the Universal Message System?

I remember i tried some time ago and successfully tested all the features in the UMS demo after importing my CTB. So the answer is yes.

Hi everybody, it's been a while since the last update. Today i have had some time to work on this project and I coded a scene for viewing the stats of the summons and for making them learn abilities.
Here's what i'm talking about
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9844/summonskillsnc5.jpg[/img]
As you can see in the bottom-right window, you need items to learn some skills. The skills in white are already learned, the yellow ones can be learned as you have enough of the items needed, while the grey ones cannot be learned yet (i know, there aren't any in the picture, but it's true, believe me).
Feel free to comment and give me your opinion.

Atse

great, it's more like FF .... i have just done several skills like doom, voodo, throw, blue magic... i hope your new ctb won't crash my works (some script corrupt when i was moving from 2.4 to 2.5)

Will you make Jump & Steal script Charlie?

Well, this is somehow a pure add-on, so it shouldn't compromise the rest. As to the Jump & Steal script, i get the Steal part but what do you mean with Jump? Is that the name of the whole technique?

Atse":18ygl73u said:
I mean "Jump" for Dragoon's ability, example Kimari from ff x, freyja from ff 9...

Oh, i see. Then I don't think so, because it is the kind of things that require a lot of patching of the code. It's a feature that is easily implemented if you start with that idea from the beginning, but now it would risk to be a bug generator.

I will work on the Steal ability instead.

It's hard for me to say what's wrong without any context.
What version are using? What version of Animated Battlers is embedded? Other scripts which might interfere?

In CTB version 2.7 there was the 10.3 version of Anim Battlers and in that script line 70 has nothing to do with width... as it says in the error window.
So please give me more info.

I tried using it with the SDK. I did it before and it worked actually. Now I use this script and then I get this error. I don't know why as I am not a scripter.

You say "before" and "now",  hence i guess you refer to different versions...
Anyway, this script was not designed to work with the SDK, and Animated Battlers neither, you're going to have only troubles with them together.
But if you provided me with the version numbers of the various scripts maybe i could help. You find them in the header of the scripts usually.

VERSION 2.8 AVAILABLE!
v2.8 New skill Steal.
v2.8 New state Thievery.
v2.8 Defetead Aeons can be automatically retired from battle.
v2.8 Aeons recover a configurable amount of HPs at the end of each battle.
v2.8 Defetead Aeons become unavailable for a configurable number of battles.
v2.8 Added a new scene to visualize stats and skills of the Aeons and to make them learn new skills.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to implement my own Steal skill, and was having no luck!

I'm so happy~~~~~~~~~~~

\^o^/ \^o^/ \^o^/ \^o^/ \^o^/ \^o^/ \^o^/

YAY CHARLIE!

Thanks all. I have just added the instruction section for the steal skill configuration. Nothing complicated, you need to tell which item from which monster...
The same instructions are inside the archive.

Love it!

However, I liked the battlers interface (Name, HP, SP, etc) visible on the third screen in the Screenshots folder. It looks most like the FFX battle interface. Is it possible to change back to that interface for me? Anything I should just need to edit or something?

Also, at the moment the CTB bar images are all squeezed. I still cant figure out how to get them non-squeezed or how big the size of my image should be for it to 'look' solid, even though it still actually squeezes in the script.

Great job nonetheless!! I'm stunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.