Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Auto Populate Maps

mawk

Sponsor

Oh man, I've been fiddling with the idea of requesting a script like this for a while. I had figured a way I could event random onscreen spawns, but it'd be a lot more clunky and slightly less random than a scripted solution. I'm pretty stoked that you just happened to make this out of the blue.

Thanks for coding this, man, it'll make my life a lot easier.

I'll probably have to get someone to diddle it so it'll work with pixelmovement (I naturally assume anything tile or movement-based won't work once each tile is cut into 1296 parts,) but it's still a fantastic script. Again, thanks. :D

Is there a way to make the number of clones fluctuate randomly within a set limit? You walk onto the map and there are five Pig-Masks, and if you walk out and in again, there are seven... Or maybe I could just use random number variables. :1

Ok, i'm sorry, I obviously didn't explain what I was trying to say earlier very well. Let me ask this from a different angle:
Is there any way you can have all the different copies of the events appear at coordinates specified by two variables, and only when a switch is turned on? So you go up to an event, press enter and a copy of that event appears at the coordinates of variables 1 + 2? Hmmm, i'm realy not very good at explaining...

I guess it does. I does exactly the same thing you would do with the editor. Copies event pages, start conditions, graphics... so it should work.

No VX version in sight Dann Woolf.

Charlie Lee":126dwxoy said:
Have you tried using populate_area and passing the area x1,y1,x1,y1 (which is a single tile)?

Yes, but that's not what I mean. I mean is there any way of appointing the postion of the events by using variables?

If you want one single event, yes. Set for example variables 1 and 2 with the coordinates and then use $game_variables[1] and $game_variables[2] instead of x1 and y1, using the trick of the 1x1 area.

If you want to decide the positions of, say, 5 events, then no. You can't, they can only be placed randomly.

Gee, don't press him, Dann Wolf. Its not exactly cake rewriting this for RGSS2. (Well, I certainly wouldn't want the job)

In any case, thats awesome, Charlie Lee, thanks for adding what I asked. As I say, I'll definately use this now. It'll add alot of cool random spice to the game for those randomly placed civvies and wandering monsters.

mawk

Sponsor

Not necessarily. You can't really know that unless you're a scripter yourself -- RGSS2 is still a different engine than the original RGSS, and although I'm not qualified to comment on how difficult it would be, I think that he's within his rights if he's decided that he doesn't want to put in a few more sleepless nights right now. Remember, he's not being paid or compensated for this in any way except for maybe mass adulation -- he's operating as a charitable donor, and he's not obligated to make scripts for the public at all.

A little consideration about rewriting scripts for RGSS2. RGSS2 is not a different language, it is a different engine. Some things are properly documented and some other are not, and thus it happens that one needs a reverse engineering process to understand its operation. You cannot really say if rewriting something is going to be a one hour thing or a one week thing until you analyze the new engine and spot the differences.
This being said, i haven't bought VX and i don't plan to use it. I haven't even tried the demo version, mainly because it didn't capture my interest and because of lack of time. As someone said, more or less, I try to keep this "activity" a hobby and not a job, so I'm afraid you'll have to adapt to my policy and rhythms.
Let's leave space to people who have criticisms, comments and questions now. Anyway thanks for your interest in this work.

This is a great script charlie. Now i'll go make my sidewalls in mode07!!!OMG!!!11

.....lol..
but really, the script is great, and i suppose most people will find it very useful,(EDIT: I said "myself included" right here, but i found another post saying excatly the same so blabla... you get the idea). I'v been waiting for this. cya.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.