Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Wich is the best 128 bit console?Why?

Alan.

The Despain said:
Gamecube because I'm a Nintendo Fanboy.
I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but the gamecube was a failure. I hate to say it but the best 128 bit console is the PS2 because of all its great games.

Marcus

Sponsor

Are you asking OUR opinion or asking us to recommend you something?

If you want our opinion, I say an Xbox + Aladdin chip. Not only can you load every game from the hard drive, there's also full working snes, dreamcast, ps1, sega + other emulators for it. Even without the Aladdin chip I would have to rate the Xbox as #1 due to the addicting-as-hell Xbox Live + Arcade.

The ps2 is a VERY close runner up but the bulk of the PS2's library are JRPGs (which I am slowly hating... A LOT) and every multi-console game is usually better on the xbox because it takes more advantages of the box's hardware. Prince of Persia, Timesplitters, etc. all ran better on the Xbox due to the better hardware.

Gamecube was just sorry. It had a handful of great games, but when Wii comes out the Gcube will be practically useless as anything other than a paperweight. Nintendo really f'ed up last generation in the console world.

Kest

'Which'. This is not even a common mispelling, I'm not sure why it's so prevalent on these forums.

PS2 because...
  • It ran all my old games after my PS1 broke.
  • Could watch DVDs on it.
  • Could play the newer games coming out.
  • Never had technical problems with it, even after several years.

Marcus

Sponsor

Never had technical problems with it, even after several years.
Man, you're lucky then. The day after my warranty expired my ps2 stopped playing ps1 and cd-rom games. I opened it up to adjust the intensity of the laser reader but somehow short circuited a resistor which caused the fan to stop functioning and literally melted the core while I was playing.

I bought a new one that works perfectly, but I will never buy a console on the release date after the PS2 (and I never did).

Why have this arguement again?
Cube wins for not having a defunct first batch of consoles like the PS2 and Xbox did. Anyone who baught the first year versions of either knows what problems they have. That's just from the hardware point, nintendo is good about getting it right the first time and for the long run(my nintendo still works from 16 years ago)

Tdata

Sponsor

I have an Original Release Xbox, PS2, and GameCube. The Xbox is the only one worth playing. I can play BOTH of the other's games on my xbox after soft-modding it... The only problem is the FROM tends to reset after being unplugged.

Mega Flare

Awesome Bro

I say PS2 casue it can play PS1 games and has the better libary. Gamecube 2nd casue it has some really good games on it. Then Dreamcast Cause it had good games on it to. Then last Xbox. Xbox has only 2 games i want for it. KOTOR and KOTOR2

I'd have to go with PS2 since like Marcus said, it has a lot of JRPGs, and I haven't quite grown out of those yet. I do <3 my Nippon Ichi games. Not to mention the majority of my favorite games are PS1 games and I don't own a PS1. Second I'd say is Xbox, since it has some good games, and the superior hardware, but it never really had anything I HAD to have. I mean, the majority of it was things just done better on the Xbox that were on other systems, (PoP, Guilty Gear XX, KoTOR) or Halo. And I loved Halo 1, but it didn't have the online and the LAN parties died when my friends all proclaimed Halo 2 as Jesus in an Xbox disc. (damn them)

Gamecube comes last simply because it had FANTASTIC games, just not ENOUGH, and also not enough that suited my tastes. I mean, I loved the Resident Evil remake series, Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Bros., ... See that's like all I can name, and despite how glaringly awesome-tastic they all are, it's just NOT ENOUGH to compete.

ok well at this current date these are the strong points:
you be the judge --
PlayStation 2
-Worst Graphics
-Best Game Quality
-Most Games Available
XBox
-Medium Graphics
-Average Game Quality
-Good Ammount of Games Available
Gamecube
-Best Graphics
-Average to above Game Quality
-HORRIBLE ammount of Game Availabililty, lacking in how choices of different games to get.

see, they all have strong points, its like a Strength Character, Stealth Character, and a Magic Character, but in games.
PS2: best games + most games is the toplight
Gamecube: Best Graphics engine + Ok games
Xbox: Balanced Between PS2 and Gamecube...

Funny... i thought xbox was a 256 bit... and this thread asks for 128 bits >.> But i'm prone to being wrong X3

Anyways, its hard to say.
1) PS2 had the biggest library. So it had lots of games to pick from!
2) Gamecube may have had a small library, but i have more favorite on it than PS2 or xbox. It also had the best controls and really good graphics.
3) xbox... okay, it had NO good games, crappy controls and well... offered me absolutely nothing. In my opinion, not even worth buying. (Oh, and I'm not one of those "PS2 RAWKS! LOL!" people. I gave this system a fair chance. At first i was excited about it. But it just didnt prove itself a good system in my opinion)

I'd say PS2 wins this simply because of its library.

Oh, and I baught PS2 the day it came out. Still have it to this day! Yep, not a single problem. Works just as good as the day I got it!^^

Well, PS2 wins easily, mainly because it has a huge library. I don't have one, but I must admit that it's huge library makes it a winner.

Gamecube, although it didn't have as many hits as the other two consoles, the ones it got were incredible(SSBM was probably the biggest hit of that time). That, and it had quite a few awsome niche games that were just as incredible as their big hits(Gotcha Force, Baten Kaitos). However, compared to Nintendo's other systems, this would be the failure, although it did by no means fail.

Xbox, if you ask me, is the worst. The only games that I've played that were good could be found on the PC, and if not, were just passable shooters. Yeah, you'll get a few games here and there that don't follow that formula, but for the most part, you'll be playing Halo and KOTOR on there.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.