Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you working on? (Game Making Thread)

I should have done this sooner. I blocked a bunch of websites that I waste a lot of time on.
And I'm trying to get back into sprite animation. TT__TT What a pain.

I still can't get over Rpg Maker's 3 frame standard. (╯‵□′)╯︵┻━┻

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

I should have done this sooner. I blocked a bunch of websites that I waste a lot of time on.
And I'm trying to get back into sprite animation. TT__TT What a pain.

I still can't get over Rpg Maker's 3 frame standard. (╯‵□′)╯︵┻━┻
Just in case this infers to the props / detailing for the ship. I have a plugin that lets me use as many frames as I want. So don't feel like that has to hold you back.

naw, I already have a plenty to do for Fantasia.
Speaking of, I read the fastest way to burn out is by making a list of things to do. I can believe it.
Yedbfxl.png

Me: *thinking about how little I accomplished last year*
lhIqLVy.png

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Oh hell yes those look amazing!

As for me, I been updating the HUD!

Boss HUD and the drive bar has received major necessary updates. Now all implemented across the board.
wubP1UM.png

Including a notification for when the player drive is ready!
T3gC7SO.png

Drives also got a mechanical update. One variable is used for all party members now, instead of having one per. This rebukes the cheese strat of unleashing several overdrives at once. For each party member who has their drive unlocked, drive will also now charge in unison to somewhat compensate.

Otherwise, mostly just me fixing up errors DerVVulfman finds.

But! There is one other development. I will share more of it later, but here is a sneak preview...
VWUc7vp.png

At present, she's missing her shirt decal...

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

I like how this scene turned out, next I work on the boss battle itself!
High Court of Yamayoji
Basically fighting the Judge of the Darkworld. This is by no means a fight you can win. It's basically an overdone game over sequence.

I've been jumping between sprites and script work. Some of it is for Fantasia. Some of it is just practice doodles.
I tell myself 1 sprite a day. Should be doable. And suddenly it's a week later and it doesn't look like I did much of anything.
fE96UKa.png

WAOLGnf.png

When I don't like how something looks it doesn't feel finished. Like the Kitsune tails. They're all in a "kind of done" pile. It's the sort of thing I can fuss with forever. Especially when it's animated.

Started working on this last night after chatting with Remi-chan.
Shows promise but still needs some work. The chain links are 5 pictures updated with a script.

I feel like I've done something similar a long time ago. Maybe it was in Construct or Action Script?
Hard to believe I've never done something like this in RPGM before.

Last edited:
I might be able to squeeze one more sprite out before the month is over. I was setting myself up to do an iron artist challenge thing today. Lock myself in my room and work nonstop. But my family had other plans.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Best of luck! Oh yea, here's a small teaser for a project I don't intend to work on for ages, but Mars: Bringer of War was rattling around in my brain so I decided to put it to constructive use.

My main MZ project folder that I play around in was corrupted the other day. I had a back up from a week ago, so I didn't lose anything important. Lately my laptop has been restarting while it's in sleep mode. I assumed it was the bad battery which I just replaced last week, which is why I had everything backed up.

My main MZ project folder that I play around in was corrupted the other day. I had a back up from a week ago, so I didn't lose anything important. Lately my laptop has been restarting while it's in sleep mode. I assumed it was the bad battery which I just replaced last week, which is why I had everything backed up.
That's lucky, Coyotecraft! How long ago was the previous backup -- or do you regularly backup anyway? Restarting in Sleep Mode could be a heat issue. I'd imagine if it was a power issue, it would just be off entirely.

It was just a week old. My backup from before that was maybe 6 months.
This was just my test project I do examples and demonstrations in. Helping people on support forums with whatever they're trying to accomplish. I don't really need to save any of it, but people occasionally ask about doing the same thing so it's handy to have around and see how I did something before.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Well after suffering a good month or two of burn out, I'm finally getting my head back in the game, and just in time!

I got two of the boss fights done over the past two days. At this rate, I will actually make it for 3/14.

First off, a more slow paced fight with the Goblin Paladin: Gerald Gelati.

Giving Hope
I've yet to do drives for this fight or the next one, speaking of which!

Battle Against those the Gods Feared!
Such intensity! I will likely be reducing the numbers, as this is only supposed to be medium difficulty.

Fights like this are why I stopped making RPGs, there's no way to get that kind of intensity in a turn based or even active time battle system.

There's just something epic about seeing all these projectiles flutter around in such aggressive but routine patterns.

So the large sweep of laser bolts are done by Mayeena, it's called Tesla Barrage

The energy saber tosses are done by Adashi, an attack called Crimson Hurlbat

Meanwhile orsa can perform two different slash attacks that both affect up to nine tiles, including orsa's own tile. A cardinal directions ability called Cross Slash, and a diagonal direction ability called X-Buster. These attacks are not telegraphed, so the best bet is to get to a knights position (as in chess) when Orsa stands still.

A one hit run is possible, but Orsa might make it rather difficult.

The Tesla Barrage is composed solely of BLUE projectiles, meaning so long as you are not moving, they can't hurt you.

Crimson Hurlbats alternate, and have large windows of time (5 seconds or so) between each one, making it fairly easy to keep clear of them.

Orsa's Cross Slash and X-Buster abilities are chosen at random, which can make the fight difficult to one-hit without proper footing. The diminutive size of the battle arena makes it difficult as well. The alternative to trying to get between Orsa's cardinals and diagonals is simple to lure him to do it on an edge and then get out of the potential range. which is over 2 tiles beyond Orsa. You will have to go into orsa's cardinals to damage him, and he is the only one of the three that can be damaged.

The issue I see is that the fight does a lot to disorientate you. between Adashi teleporting around like a madman, to the huge amount of intersecting bullets, it should prove to be quite a tough one to no-hit. You can ofcourse, use DEFEND or SKEDADDLE to avoid damage from both orsa's attacks and Crimson Hurlbat.

I will be adding a DRIVE to this fight in form of a team attack, but I do not yet know what this will entail.

This is more research than work. But I recently watched the Evangelion Rebuild movies. Terrible. But I also had my browser open, reading people's character analysis and wiki entries learning about different continuities.

My main interest was in Kaji Ryoji.
I see in him the same thing I see in Sven Cookiedoe. So I feel like studying Kaji will lead me to answers for my fan game.

The correspondences are perhaps superficial. PFC and Eva Rebuild are wildly different. But I see structural similarities.
I've tried to map out the key parallels. But I gave up looking for images. My goal isn't to clone Evangelion, but to fill in the blanks and entertain possibilities.

Wall of thoughts that I just need put down somewhere.
edit: I alternate between 2 subjects so I've color coded Evangelion stuff blue.
Not that I expect anyone to be too interested in my rambling.
D0Pust3.png

Okay. Sven and Kaji.
Both smoke. Have ponytail (rat tail?). Have inexplicable knowledge of things. Made more interesting by changes in continuity.
Kaji's knowledge can be explained by the fact that he's something of a double-or-triple agent. He's furthering everyone's interests, but the question is: what's in it for him? He works for SEELE, NERV, and the Japanese Government.
In one of the manga, Kaji is given the backstory where he grew up with a gang of orphans stealing food from Government shelters. He gets caught, and offered a deal to rat on his friends to spare himself from the death penalty. Which he takes. So he lives with this guilt and his underpinning motivation is just to disrupt people in power...in theory.
Sven is much younger than Kaji, but he's in a near similar situation. His family is in hiding. I think if Sven was ever caught he'd be afraid of exposing everyone.

-------------------------

I'm not sure how Kaji ended up working for SEELE - who has this grand scheme for humanity. But Gendo, who is leading NERV works for them but has his own agenda.
In Perseverance I think this is similar to Esperia who works for Heldath but is pursuing her own agenda.

Kaji obtains the Key of Nebuchadnezzar (it was an "Adam Embryo" in other continuities) which he gives to Gendo to transcend his humanity. SEELE was keeping it as a spare or backup if they ever had to restart their plans. (I'll come back to this)
Likewise, Esperia is after the Devil and Angel Genes to ascend to become a Serazai. Coincidently Sven...presumably... inherited a spare set of genes as well.

-------------------------

In the Eva Rebuild movies there is a 14 year time skip between the 2nd and 3rd movie. We don't know what happened to Kaji until the 4th movie. He died. Sacrificing himself. But we don't get any hard details. Internet fans however have extrapolated a general idea based on a broad overview of the series.
This tickles me because that's what I've attempted with PFC.

Basically at the end of the 2nd Rebuild movie, SEELE and the Japanese Government launch an investigation into NERV, realizing that Gendo has his own plans that go against their own. So Gendo and his second-in-command, Fuyutsuki, were temporarily removed from their positions and replaced by Kaji and Kaworu Nagisa.
Kaworu is another interesting character. He is meant to be suspicious from the start because he's an Angel. In other continuities when Kaworu shows up in the story, Kaji recognizes him but then the story doesn't elaborate on what that connection is.
I've read an early concept imagined Kaworu with a cat. It was really the Cat who was the angel and it was controlling him.
In other continuities, Kaji is brainwashed an takes a position in SEELE. Becoming a puppet himself.

I don't know who would correspond to Kaworu in Perseverance. Maybe Bufudyne? I think in pre-clash continuity, after Sven blows up Naxon, Bufudyne might have had a chance at a redemption or got a promotion at least.
Otherwise I think I'd have to invent a character. Kara's Brother was always a thought in my mind. But he only recently made an appearance in FANTASIA.
There's also potential Angel Gene persona, but we've never seen one awaken.

The other thing about Kaworu is that his Eva's weapon is the Spear of Cassius which is a riff on the spear of destiny.
Svoli manifests shafts of light. I've always imagined if Sven should awaken an angel/devil form, or was just more adept at combat, he would utilize a spear.

FANTASIA also introduced DENUI. Demons of Ultimate Influence meant to take control of powerful characters so they don't cause too many problems.
They weren't established yet in PFC, but in theory Sven would have one as well.
From a chat I had with Remichan, I learned that Sped's DENUI was weakened while Esperia was torturing him, and his devil gene took the opportunity to kill it. Because these persona occupy the same virtual soul space, I guess.
This is why you never fight Sped in FANTASIA.
I have to wonder if Sven would still have a DENUI. Maybe it would have checked out once Sven died and lost his angel/devil genes. Not being powerful enough to merit one.

eOt8a47.jpg

Hmm, I don't think I've considered this before. I've been trying to explain Sven's "sacrifice". But maybe this wasn't Sven at all. Maybe that was his DENUI's own exit strategy. The other DENUI are high ranking archangels assigned to "powerful" mortals.
I can see Sven having a DENUI that knows it's out of it's league if Sven's genes ever manifested. So he's nipping them in the bud.

It's a bit contrive though. I mean. On top of the DENUI controlling people, Naxon had his Sacrament thingy that was also controlling people. Unless I reimagined it as controlling low level DENUI in the first place? Which would explain why it didn't affect the Perseverance Union.
Maybe Sven's DENUI was under Naxon's control, but Sven never acted on it because his devil and angel kept it restrained?

In the 14 year gap of Eva Rebuild, Kaji also stole the ship "WILLE" from SEELE. It was 1 of 5 "Vessels of Adam". I don't have the energy to explain -here- what Adams are in Rebuild. But it was basically a kind of Noah's Arc/ seedship to restart life on another planet. I think.
As I mentioned above, Kaji gave Gendo a "key". But in other continuities he gave him was an Adam Embryo.

FANTASIA reveals that Kara's brother, as well as Svoli's mother, had gone off into space. Which begs the question of what they used as starships. There's actually a lot of options. Lots of ships. Lots of space civilizations.
Among other reveals, Splod wasn't actually from Earth to begin with.

Supposedly Kara and her brother had many close encounters but always just missed each other. I've trying to imagine a scenario where a spaceship was involved. But it might be too much for 1 story. Naxon has a helicopter. Might have had a starship too?

It's hard to say how Kaji died exactly. But from what I gathered from the brief scenes in the 4th movie, he flew a helicopter into Central Dogma (an underground shaft containing...you know what, nvm) and there he...idk...did something?
It funny because there's so many ways Sven could have survived in PFC. But I'm just reaching for a satisfying grand plan to explain why he doesn't. I'm sure Eva Rebuild was trying to do the same thing with Kaji.

E9JOvPFVIAIqiYv

According to wiki entries "Central Dogma" is a biology theory that says genetic information only flows in 1 direction. From DNA to RNA to Proteins. So Kaji flying into "Central Dogma" has to be a metaphor for encoding something. Or breaking a sequence, I guess? Because he averted the 3rd Impact. It's hard to say what was happening. This is Evangelion we're talking about. "The Doors of Guf were open". The chamber of Guf is a kind of treasury of unborn souls. I could be mistaken, but maybe Kaji went in there and interrupted it.
Coincidently, in the 4th movie it turns out Kaji had an unborn son on the way with Misato. Who is then named Kaji Jr and basically looks like his reincarnation at 14.
(The same age as Sven)

Jr grows up apart from Misato. The subtext is kind of fucked up. Because Misato had daddy issues and saw her father in Kaji at first, which is why she broke up with him. She would no doubt see Kaji in her son as well.
8839aabb9559254770c25eb19a34ef6635561f95.jpg

OK6W_koKDTOqqqLDbIoPAhVUqUA0T_mdKmbOoKCm83g

*cough*

So in Perseverance, Bufudyne would die but be resurrected by Naxon.
I'd like to imagine a scenario where Sven tricked Naxon into resurrecting him instead of Bufudyne. Sven would lose his angel and devil genes, but I feel Esperia would hold Naxon accountable. So maybe Sven and Naxon would agree not to tell her anything.

Last edited:
I went down a rabbit hole with the 1997 Eva continuity. I don't know what pisses me off more. All the stuff they left out or all the stuff they left in that doesn't sense anymore because of the stuff they left out.
The DENUI in Fantasia are perhaps comparable to Evangelion's "Dummy Plug System".
This is kind of a big plot point which is left out Rebuild. But even in the anime version, I sense they were already revising and repurposing characters and plot elements.

So, big 90's cliche: Super Computers modeled after the FATES.
Actually these Magi computers were named after the wise men in the bible. But no, there's dialogue with Ritsuko talking about her mother who created the Magi computers. She says she put own thought-patterns into it. Herself as a scientist, a mother, and pride as a woman. So yeah, they're the fates. They're in charge. Virgin, Woman, Crone.
When she says she put her thoughts into them, she meant it literally. It's the same principle behind the dummy plugs.
This is actually terrifying. An easily overlooked plot point is that the Magi system were running the Japanese Government.

But Ritsuko's mom wasn't exactly stable.
She had an affair with Gendo (so did Ritsuko, but now she's a lesbian in Rebuild.) When she learned that Gendo was just using her, she snapped and killed the messenger. That was poor little Rei 1, the first clone of Shinji's mom. Then she killed herself ~ allegedly. She might have been responsible for the disappearance of Shinji's Mom in the first place. You know, with the affair and all.
That's the kind of "thought-process" that's running the government.

6jyyeXB.jpg

I see a little bit of Taramisa in Ritsuko's mom. In both PFC and Evangelion, there was this big plan going on behind the scenes. But I think at a certain point in the story it becomes irrelevant.

In the Anime, Kaji is shot and it's never revealed who did it. A lot of fans think it was either Misato or Ritsuko. But the creators have denied both. At this juncture in the story, I think even back in 199- whatever, they were revising the script at the last minute.
Who shot Kaji? I think it was Ritsuko, Ritsuko's Mother, or Kaworu. They're all connected by the "Thought Processes" that went into the Magi, the Dummy Plugs, and the Mass Produced Evas.
And Cats.

One of Kaji's informants was a "cat lady". Kaji also brings Ritsuko cat figurines - and Ritsuko knows he's a double agent. Then there's that bit of trivia about Kaworu planned to be puppeted by a Cat-shaped Angel. IMO, Kaworu makes the most sense.
I think Misato's Mother secretly being alive was an inkling, but with the 3rd Impact around the corner, her relevance was fading. If she was puppeting the Japanese Government with the Magi Supercomputers, there wouldn't be a Japanese Government after this point

This is just me. But I don't Taramisa thinks much of Sven. She doesn't really acknowledge him. I mean, she only shows up AFTER Sven dies. She saves Pep and Nola from the fall. (In the Pre-Clash version, it was supposed to be Sven's Jacket that saved them). I mean, Sven is fated to die. If he did live, I think Taramisa would have to kill him off personally. We seen in FANTASIA her devil gene kill off Svoli's mother because she had an Angel Gene. I can see that happening to Sven too if it ever manifested.

But making sense of events isn't the same as telling a story.

When they first try out the dummy plug - it famously cannibalized Toji's Eva/Angel. The question you should ask is who's "thought process" was in the Dummy Plug.
In the Manga, when Gendo receives the Adam Embryo from Kaji, he swallows it. So the "thought process" of eating an Angel probably belonged to Gendo. Even though Maya and Ritsuko say the system is "bugged", Ritsuko had to be thinking there was something more wrong with Gendo.

That's what I hate about all the continuity changes. You change 1 thing, and all these other scenes lose context.

The Mass Produced Evas were suppose to reflect Kaworu's lack of self-preservation. But designwise, they all have big red lips which I think goes back to Ritsuko's oral fixation. She's got an ashtray full of cigarettes smudged with lipstick. Idk what the actual connection is. I just got the sense that there was more to it. I think the writers wrote her mother out of the story and dumped the leftovers on Ritsuko.

There's a scene where Kaji and Ritsuko are really close to each other. It's all an act. I'm 90% sure he's stealing her keycard to Central Dogma, and she's letting him. In the anime, he uses the card to show Misato what's inside Central Dogma. "Adam". Except it's not actually Adam, and this doesn't happen in the Rebuild version.
Later in the Anime, Kaworu goes into Central Dogma. He thought it was Adam inside. But then he realized it's Lilith, and he like "So that's what they're planning". This also was changed in Rebuild.

Saxxion Bufudyne was suppose to be an inventer or alchimist. He could have had a connection with Splode as a supplier. But I don't think we ever see him with his own goal. He could have been the one to make Kara's sword. Or he could have been Nola's "Uncle" I dunno why didn't make that connection when I was drawing out the cat family tree.

asking chatgpt to write me an async c# mmo game server and its doing a great job, its kinda insane to be able to chat to an ai and ask it to make changes as if it were my own personal little developer, totally natural back-and-forth. i'm wondering if this is the assistance i needed to finally push through and start developing again 😅

also the goblin mode temptation to make my message protocol use strings rather than bytes is real
EDIT: im doiiinnn iiittttt

Last edited:

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Alrighty, read up on your thing. Funny comparisons there, indeed!

I should mention that due to Sven's lacking will to fight or lack of willingness to change the world, he likely never had a DENUI. Sven is a character who genuinely dislikes conflict and fighting. Who generally likes to stay under the radar and not cause problems for people. For that reason, it's unlikely a DENUI was ever needed for him.

He chose to die because he knew if he were to jump like Pep and Nola were about to he would either die anyway or have to suffer a lot of pain, and would therefore be more of a liability. He was just utterly sick of living in a world that wanted him to do nothing but die. He would have had nine-lives like the rest of the cats, but due to the nature of his death, it's impossible for him to have survived either way. As Esperia said, the rubble would have crushed him even if he had the extra lives on hand.

Sven has been dead since PFC, as have all of Pep's family, outside of Tiramisa.

Saxxis took his own life shortly before naxon faced his end, meaning naxon never had the chance to ressurect Saxxis again.

As for how Svana and Kiet managed to leave the planet, that probably occured after or shortly before the 314th clash. The world's technology had advanced a lot by then so spaceships were pretty common fare. I should also mention that there are likely a few Galaxion ships around beyond Lyza's. As revealed in Exile, Lyza is just one of many Exile's that were sent to Earth, it's likely she wasn't the only one that found the means to build a space-faring vessel.

As for what I've been working on...

Yet another of the boss fights done. Due to the amount of placeholders, I've decided to refrain from showing this one in a video format. Here is some dope screenshots though!

Troublesome Trio of Trickery
SAAz0Wh.png

mu9rYxh.png

Ka7SGOO.png

FhUQTDN.png

Oh and, you may remember this from a while ago...
BH1I8Oj.png

My, what good progress! As you can see, I've done 7, leaving only 12, and I've also numbered the order I intend to do them in.

Fatty Mclarge is next, then we're onto Anathema, that will finish Tekerlek. Then I'm jumping over to Byteopia to do the finale of those tournaments with Cid and Kyu. Once that is done all optional events in the Magenta Sector are finished.

Then my next list of orders are the optional bosses in Zen Aneia and Zen Nekoma, finishing which will complete all optional events in the Amethyst sector. leaving only the four fights in the Turquoise sector.

Then at last, I will do the last HARD difficulty fight, a duel with Kikiyo Kasanavi, then move onto the Surreal Obstacle course, clearing Postmartia. I'll then move over to Haven and give Catmum her surreal battle. After that point, all that remains is Xaramitsi who awaits on Zirkov.

Once I finish her, I'm done with all of the optional events for this disk at last! Then, I've gotta go and make Apophis Labs and Sanctuary. Ashe will get some events on Apophis Labs, I don't know much about Sanctuary yet.

I've also gotta do the unwinnable boss fight with Ashe the Enma. That will likely be the last thing I do.

My momentum of doing one bossfight a day has been good. If I keep it up at this rate i might actually be able to make it in time for 3/14.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

BEEG UPDATE!

Only five optional events remain. Four bosses and one obstacle course!

So, you wanna see some cool bosses? Well then, here ya go!

The Druid's Shakedown

Spiralling Fan of Blades

The Final Death Match

Shadowflame Sisters

[n]Foxfire Flurry[/b]

Crimson Demonium

The Court Magician
You are welcome!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.