Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

VVVVVV

mawk

Sponsor

That's six Vs, in case you're keeping track.

so what's this?
VVVVVV (pronounce it however you will) is the latest thing from the guy who is named Terry Cavanagh, known previously for titles like Don't Look Back and Pathways over on Kongregate. Unless I'm missing something, this is his first commercial game; his other stuff has been strictly freeware. And it just came out two days ago, on the 10th! It's $15 USD, though, which is fairly steep. Whether or not there's enough content to justify that price (for comparison, indie games on Steam rarely pass ten bucks) is sort of up in the air, but it's a fun little game nonetheless.
vvvvv.png

Oh, noooo!

huh. what's it about?
You are Captain Viridian, ace space guy. You and your similarly adorable technicolor crew are cruising through space, minding your own respective businesses, when suddenly something goes terribly wrong! You are forced to evacuate, but the ship's teleporter goes haywire, tossing you and your crew to random spots around a mysterious new area. As the leader of your crew, it falls to you to explore this new world and rescue your crewmates!
vvvv.png

Even space explorers can't get away from the everyday grind.

cool beans. what's it play like?
I'm glad you asked! VVVVVV is, at its core, quite simple. You can move left and right at your leisure using the directional keys, and reverse gravity with any number of other buttons. You can move freely in midair, but cannot reverse gravity unless your feet are touching a platform. It's a deceptively simple gimmick, but the level design is outstanding in how it puts it to use. The world itself is quite large, with a layout and a degree of freedom remniscient of the Metroidvania genre. The challenges themselves vary in difficulty, but VVVVVV is, on the whole, quite forgiving. Checkpoints are placed quite fairly, generally before and after the really tough bits, so you're not gonna wind up breaking something out of rage most of the time. You are going to come to hate one room in particular, but it's purely for an optional bonus -- a "trinket," of which there are twenty. They unlock things. They're cool.
vvv.png

Hey, the maps remind me of Metroidvanias, too.

what do you like most about it?
Oh man, the music. VVVVVV has an amazing chiptune soundtrack to it. I'm currently dealing with the toughest room in the game, contributing to maybe a hundred and fifty deaths so far, and I have not yet gotten tired of the music that plays there. That should say something.
vv.png

This isn't it by far, but it should give you an idea of what kind of skills you're going to have to develop.

heh heh. verdict?
Get it, I guess. Don't pirate it, because that's a dick move and seriously it just came out this week why you gotta be like that. The gameplay is simple, fun, and new, the physics are tight, the music is bamf, and the graphics are simple and cute. Sort of reminds me of a less neurotic Jet Set Willy with a fun new mechanic.
v.png

Must be the room captions. I will be honest with you; I do not know what half of them even mean.

In case you missed my subtle ~*~computer magic~*~ in putting the site link in the banner, you can find the game at http://www.thelettervsixtim.es. There's also a demo there, containing the first level and one from later on, in case you want to get a feel for the game before you shell out Much Dollar Bills.

Basically? It's fun. Discuss.

mawk

Sponsor

yeah, it's more than you'd expect for an indie title. hopefully he'll adjust it or something, but in the meantime hey I might as well support the guy!

he has much style

and besides, it's like alef-2 times better than Aveyond

that's infinity to the power of infinity to the power of infinity

that is how serious I am

(wait or is it infinity cubed I forget)

moog

Sponsor

paul OK IM ABOUT TO RAGE
23:20 kain RAGE!!!!!!
23:20 paul gauojguh ihjpotyu34wy9u0 ij43tog jo8u4389 4098 WHAT
23:21 paul so close
23:21 paul FUCK THIS

paul GRRRRR this part is making me rage and its not even far into the game
23:21 paul ah ok
23:22 paul DUDE COME ON
23:22 paul SLIDE A TEENY BIT AND HE FUCKING DIES
23:22 paul YES I GOT
23:23 paul THE TRINKET
23:23 paul YES
23:23 paul YES
23:23 paul oh
23:23 paul 1 of 20
23:23 paul ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

paul cooool
23:28 paul YES FUCK YOU GAME
23:28 paul I DID IT

i love this game.

mawk

Sponsor

so, I beat it yesterday. not 100%, but close. the game was surprisingly short; about 60% of the map is filler, fun for exploring but with no real challenge or distinguishing characteristics. what there is is really fun, but I'm not totally convinced that it has fifteen dollars worth of material in it. I'm holding out for some bonus levels or something once I complete it 100%.

mawk

Sponsor

also in one room there is a giant flashing statue of a crying elephant. if you stand next to it for too long, you get sad. anyone know if it has a point past that?

2 things:

1: dear god man, how effin bored can you be and how much skillz do you have and

2: have you not ever heard of camstudio?

I would buy it just for the lulz, but seeing as I'm freaking broke...

mawk

Sponsor

has anyone else gotten all 20? from what I can tell, it just

unlocks the secret lab, a sort of endgame trophy room with a repeatable bouncing minigame

but I might be missing something

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.