Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Visual RGSS Express -- IMPORTANT UPDATE

Don't feel bad.

Sometimes things like this are to be expected in a development life-cycle.  It just happens.  You take steps to make sure it doesn't happen, but it's at least better than saying 'It's canceled'.

Myself, I feel the same way with Abstraction.  The project in the OIL framework alone is 61,000 lines in over 796 files.  It's not even half done.

The entire project is over 1,070 files and 200,000+ lines.  While lines don't relate to quality or functionality, it marginally relates to the time spent on a project.  Right now Abstraction doesn't build due to a structural rework I'm doing which segments Array Types, Generic Types, and other specific functionality away from the base IType.  Which caused 300+ errors to crop up in a heart beat.  Most of the disambiguating code, System.Type->IType relationships, and a large series of other core functionality needs to be rewritten as a result.  I could stop and rewrite the entire project because of the slight oversight; however, I thought it best to continue because of the functionality that was not affected by the change.

I envy that your project is at a scope where you can aim for December, amidst a rewrite, while I'm looking at May of 20??.

OS

Sponsor

Well, I am glad to be so enviable. XD

I really do wish I could go with my original plans, but this new plan is much more doable, and in fact will promote learning RGSS more than the original design. I have already designed the basic layout of most of the scripts. I need to write a couple working battle systems (ugh) before I can choose a solid base layout. I also plan to study several battle systems already out there, but I have to write the systems to be sure they even work, ya know?

I appreciate your support, and can not wait to release the Demo. I do not have any idea when the demo can be released yet, but I am sure it will be relatively soon. I can say what features to expect in the demo; Scenes and Windows, meaning both Visual Editors.

Peace!

~Owen Sael

Twirly

Sponsor

WOW,NICE,COOL
For people like me who are new to the rpg maker this will help out a lot.
I hope someone didn't already ask but will it be for RMVX?

OS

Sponsor

I've written a Plug In library that will allow me to add other languages later. When I can afford to buy VX, I will write the RGSS2 Plug In and release it.

I'm going to go work on it some more now. Peace!

~Owesome Scriptor

This is looking awsesome! Hopefully it will help me learn the battle systems. That is what I need to learn. I know enough to create windows and stuff, but battle systems are hard. Cant' wait. Keep it up!! :thumb:

OS

Sponsor

Well, I am working very hard on it. I am glad people are still excited about this. Ill try to have an update soon.

~OS

OS

Sponsor

Oh, hello. I thought no one was watching...

In all honesty, I haven't been able to work much. I was supposed to be getting a job, and ended up working on a Menu for Venetia. As soon as the menu is complete, I'll be working on this again. I still plan on having a December release, whether it be a demo or the full version.

Peace.

OS

Sponsor

A demo, indeed. Expect at the very least the Window Maker tools this December. I know that isn't much for waiting so long, but I do plan to release the rest of the editors by Summer of 09. If I don't, you can all stone me to (near) death.

If you still need a beta tester, let me know.  I have moderate experience in C#, and I have some extra time, so I'm willing to help if you need it.

OS

Sponsor

Okay, thanks, Totti.

Yes, you will be able to make a decent sized menu out of windows. I don't know if the Sprite Editors will be in the demo or not, so you will be pretty limited at first.

What exactly is this, I fail to see the point from the first post here..

Curiously it sounds to me like a Scene Manager for games, and Window Editor for Menus I gather.. How's this any different from current day GUI's for game frameworks that allow drag-drop Scene Node managing, or the more honest example Visual Studios Express, they have a form 'creation' tool. Which generates code. Is this your goal, only w/ a more game orientation?

I believe you understand his general goal, yes.

Though be sure to remember that it's geared towards a specific architecture, which doesn't already have such tools developed for it.  Think of it as a Windows Forms Editor for the areas he described: User picks and clicks what they want and orders it to suit their fancy, and then the tool generates the associated code to repeat said interface in the target architecture (RPG Maker using RGSS).

The difference is, I believe that it can't read currently functioning models, as it uses its own data format to persist the designs.  Which makes it markedly weaker in relation to tools like the Windows Forms Editor, but it should suffice for the target audience that would need such a tool.

OS

Sponsor

Hello. Sorry for not posting much. My internet is freaking out on me.

Anyways, I plan to get started on the demo next weekend. I also just came up with an idea that may allow for multiple languages, so I am getting excited about this again.

Peace.

~Owesome Scriptor

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.