Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Visual RGSS Express -- IMPORTANT UPDATE

OS

Sponsor

Visual Rgss Express

The original goal of VRE was to create a system very much like RMXP's Eventing tools so that Eventers could learn to program in RGSS. That was a very ambitious goal, but that is how I like to work; aim high, and see where they will take me. Well, while reworking a way to Interpret code passed from the User to the Program, I thought of a brilliant idea; don't. Don't give the User an Eventing System. Don't work my ass off for something that I don't have time for anymore. Don't waste time when I could be writing something that could be released on time (December) for once.

So, what does this mean for you, young developers searching for an easy way out of scripting problems? Well, let's see what VRE will be capable of:

First, you select one of the Template Scripts; Scene, Window, Sprite, Battle, Game, or a Custom Template (using Plug Ins).

Next, you move on to the Properties, where you decide how your script works, what it's name is, and other options. For example, if you choose Battle Template, you may choose Action Battle System or Time Battle System. You may also choose Side View or Front View, etc.

Then you move on to the Visual Designer. The fun part. Scenes and Battles use a Frame-By-Frame Editor while Windows use a Single-Frame Editor. Both kinds of Editors will have multiple layers.

Lastly, you generate the script.

Easy. The program will also include several Tutorials, including a Tutorial on building on the scripts you create for every Template. So you will have help learning to program. The program will also come with a Tutorial on creating Plug Ins (which are made in C#.NET, .NET 2.0). Other tutorials include 'How To' Lessons on RGSS.

So, to summarize:

Users will have to do more work to write scripts, but a large portion of the script will be created for them. Better yet, the program is free, full of Tuts, and will be so easy, we won't have to worry about having Basic and Advanced modes anymore.

Tell me what you think.

.. you would be oh so famous if you made one of those.. and you would also put some commercial scripters outta business.

OS

Sponsor

It's good to see such welcoming replies.

@Drago, it all depends on when I can get work done. I have more time to work on C#, and if I don't finish it by this summer, then I will probably spend all three of my Computer Science Class Periods next year, so this should be complete by next Christmas. But don't fear! My C# schedule only has two other projects, and one is almost finished (DnD Character Maker V1.2), and the other is rather large (EpicTale V1, a tool for organizing stories), so I will be working on it in smaller chunks.

@etheon, yeah, that's exactly what it is. Note that I am working with Visual Studio to make it, so I have a great understanding of how it should look.

Well, if anyone has a feature idea, let me know. I'm gonna go work now. Peace!

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I'll try to make some screenies to show for tonight or tomorrow.

Near_Fantasica released something similar to this, but not with as many functions as this appears to contain. Nice work so far Optimist :)

OS

Sponsor

Did he? All I've ever seen are Window Makers. Thanks for the compliment.

I've added a mock up of the main window, and thought of a very special feature to add:

IntelliSence (sp?) -- As you type code (assuming that you do), a box may appear giving a suggestion as to what you are typing. The same exact thing as Visual Studio's IntelliSence (sp?). The only difference is that my own version will start out as an AutoComplete feature until a later version of the program. So, what do ya'll think?

e

Sponsor

IntelliSense, though you were close ;)

As for auto completion, why not simply use Scintilla instead of going through the hassle of having to do it all by hand? Scintilla works fine and is open source.

OS

Sponsor

I don't know. Never thought to. I'll take a look and see if it is any help to me. Thanks for the tip.

I'm preparing a list of all the Event Options from RMXP and then the ones from RGSS, so be prepared for a finalized list by the end of next week.

e

Sponsor

Oh wait. I just realized Scintilla is C++. I don't know if, even in unmanaged code, it'd work. But I'm sure someone thought about that way before me, so finding a C# port of Scintilla shouldn't be hard? I dunno.

I attempted this some time ago in RMXP and I'm not talking about my window and scene maker. I made an actual script maker with ability to make a FULLY working CMS. However, there were some problems I can't remember exactly and I dropped it. It think it was the amount of work because I had to create literally 100s of keywords...to increase the list of things to do and then I would have to make a way to save, load and release.. Forget that XD.

It might be harder in C# cause you'll need to re-create classes so you can store information, probably.

The idea was to make it similar to the Event Editor for non-CMS scripts and for CMS scripts create a datatable that connects everything.

My suggestion is replace B with a menu bar, rather then a tool bar. Use tool bar for quick actions and Menu Bar B for unique or complex actions.

Good luck.

OS

Sponsor

Hehe, thanks for the advice. I think I should remove this screenie now, since the new editor will look entirely different. Now I plan to have several small windows, each with it's own purpose (such as holding tools, editing a script's properties, etc.)

Oh, and I must say that I am fully ready to deal with this program. I am only making the RGSSGen1.dll right now, and it's already got 15 classes, a large number of which are simply for use in the Window class I am making.

Well, I have an update:

1. I will be making this tool compatible with RGSS 1 and 2, although 2 will not be made until a later update.

2. Windows will probably not be made with a drag-and-drop editor, but instead windows will be placed by tile (X,Y) and will be sized by tile (W,H). This may change in future versions, but for now, this should suffice.

3. I will be making a specially designed Battle System Editor, which will enable the casual eventer to create fully operational battle systems in a manner of seconds, simply by clicking on two buttons. One sets up the program to generate a battle system, and the second button is what kind (Active Time Battle, or Turn Based Battle). These will open new options to customize the battle system.

4. I am considering making a Plug-In system. If I do, it will be so other C# programmers out there can develop their own extra editors. This also means I will be releasing the RGSSGen1 (and later RGSSGen2) DLLs with the program for noncommercial use.

5. I will be releasing an Exclusive Beta of the editors as they are completed for user testing. In order to join my Testers, you must send me a Resume using the following format:

Username:
Testing Experience:
Scenario: List as many problems as you can with this screen:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/ ... tImage.png[/img]
(there are at least 4...)

I'll PM you if you are excepted.

Tester Benefits:

1. First to use the awesome program!
2. Will be sent copies of the program at Final Release before anyone else gets it.
3. Will get a free copy of the commercial VRGSS if I make it. (Will come with a Debug tool no other version will have!)

For those who notice the Debug Tool, it is simply a little application that will find syntax errors and make general warnings about issues in your RGSS scripts.

Tell me what ya'll think, if anyone wants to be a tester, post your resume, and have a good night!

e

Sponsor

I think that before going off in all directions, planning versions, commercial tools and whatnots, you should complete a first build that people can use. No need to get so much further ahead when you have nothing done yet.

OS

Sponsor

Hey hey, I have a small Scene Generator that I'm building this off of.

Anyways, that is why I am preparing for testing now. After I complete the Scene Creator, I will run it through testing, to find bugs and see how the testers respond to it.

The plans for a Commercial editor are just a little idea right now in case I think it even has commercial potential.

EDIT:

I saw your Resume, Hungery12, and I can't tell if you are going to be a good choice yet. I guess I got what I asked for (mostly) in the resume. Well, I'll PM you if I decide I can use your help.

Peace!

OS

Sponsor

UPDATE:

APPLICATION:

1. Basic Mode for basic users. Cannot see Code until they complete the script. Cannot directly edit code in the program. Some features simplified, including Variable Operations, Method Editor, etc., and others disabled, such as the Coder.

2. Advanced Mode for those with more scripting knowledge. All features available. THIS WILL REQUIRE A CERTAIN LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE TO USE. This is due to the fact that some aspects of scripting require many options, and the User must be capable of thinking intelligently about how a code should at least look. Start with Basic Mode and use the tutorials provided with the program to work your way up.

DLL (This one is mainly for other developers wanting to make Plug-Ins):

1. Contains a class for every kind of script, including BaseClass (abstract), Scene, Window, Battle (derives from Scene), Sprite, and Game. This is off the top of my head, so I may have forgotten some.

2. Contains a Variable class and a Method class.

3. All generated RGSS code is currently stored in Lists of strings. This may change to a new class called Code or something, which will be used in debugging.

4. Will have a Form for selecting a Project Type, which is basically a replication of the Visual Studio Project Creation Form. I don't know what other visual objects will be added at this moment, but try to think along the lines of project-specific data viewing controls, for seeing variables and their values and script/line definition location, etc.

Any ideas?

OS

Sponsor

UPDATE:

Plug-In Support Update:

I have just added a feature to my list; the ability to add a Library Plug-In Feature. These plug-ins will be used to allow the User of the program to make scripts for the SDK and MACL and other libraries that people make. The SDK (2.x) and MACL (2.x) will be included with tutorials to show how the plug-ins are made.

And now, instead of building in all of the Default scripts, they will be included into a Library.

Other Plug-Ins will probably still be allowed, such as adding editors, classes, etc. to the program.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.