Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

uhhhh harry potter?

i cantn believethere's not a thread for the last harry potter movie. i mean even if you're not a huge fan or w/e it's UNDENIABLY important pop culture. so we gotta talk about this movie and it's pretty much required that everytbody see it (i downloaded it)

hpdeathlyposter-hallows-part-2_20110716013043.jpg

so yeah all of the harry potter movies have been excellent. some have had bad points but all were definitely watchable and as a fantasy franchise as a whole harry potter is really fucken good (anybody who says otherwise is just hating on it because it's popular). for a lot of us this is the end to a series that we grew up with. really harry potter was a huge part of a generation and we grew up alongside him.

the last movie was great. i've read a lot of people bitching about flaws but come on there's a LOT GOING ON and i think that this movie finished everything perfectly. i'm really glad that they skipped all the grindelwald/dumbledore backstory because it would have just bogged everything down. what we DO have is a great and really fitting epic end to a series.

about the epilogue: when it comes to the books i hate on the epilogue really fucking hard. and while i STILL think that the epilogue is horrible and pointless and kills a tremendous amount of the story (i really think that harry should have died at the end but that comes largely from my own personal ideas about storytelling and character arcs and also since it really started as a kids story i cant fault em too hard) BUT i will say that the epilogue in the movie was handled MUCH better than in the books and I finished the movie feeling really satisfied with it as a whole. :dead:

i want to go into a lot more detail but hopefully more people got stuff to say and we can make a discussion about it. so put up yer dukes :box:

It's only been out for a few days and I feel like the last person in the world to see it. :V

It's pulling in unbelievable box office numbers, though. It's made half a billion dollars already. holy moly!!

I'm really excited to watch this! I grew up reading the series and was seriously impressed with Part 1. I haven't talked to a single person who didn't absolutely adore the movie so I have high hopes for it.

I've seen it twice, and I totally agree, it's probably my favourite in the series. I mean, it's not perfect, but it's just a really good movie that finishes everything off nicely.

I didn't really like the scene in Harry's subconscious though. It was really cryptic and pseudo-deep and kinda dragged during a major bit of action. I loved when it faded to white going into that scene though, you could actually people in pain looking at the screen since the rest of the scenes had been so dark. :P

I thought the first movie was okay, and I really enjoyed the second one, but I couldn't stand the rest. Granted, I never "grew up" with the series or read the books.

Also, this is probably because I never followed the series very closely, but I don't understand why they split the last novel into two films (other than to draw out the franchise and make more money).

seven":2plftmtv said:
I thought the first movie was okay, and I really enjoyed the second one, but I couldn't stand the rest. Granted, I never "grew up" with the series or read the books.

Also, this is probably because I never followed the series very closely, but I don't understand why they split the last novel into two films (other than to draw out the franchise and make more money).

Because too much happens in the last book to put it in just one movie.

Jason

Awesome Bro

They could've made one longer movie, it's not about there being too much content or something, they just knew that the franchise was ending so they wanted to milk it as much as they could by releasing it in two parts... it's purely business, lol.

To be honest, I'm going to miss the fandom, excitement and all since the series premiered; now that the series is finally ending. Such good memories. I remember staying until midnight at a Harry Potter party at my local Barns & Noble for the release of the last book.

The movie was great. It really lived up to my expectations (which were rather high after the mess they made of 7-1).

I love the books a lot more than the films, but treating the films as a completely seperate series I wouldn't be disappointed if that was the only Potter I'd experienced.

seven":2wbd0n8l said:
but I don't understand why they split the last novel into two films (other than to draw out the franchise and make more money).

They split it up because it happens SOOOOOO fucking much in the last book (around 700 pages) and it would have to be like 5 hours if they made onw movie, and believe me it WOULD have been longer than splitting it up.

Anyway, I though the last movie was brilliant. The flashback of Snape's memories to the very first movie was just excellent. I mean even those who haven't read the book will finnally understand everything, about snape, the horcruxes, voldemort's soul splitting, why he turned a ghost in the beginning, when harry was made a horcrux by misstake etc. And the thing about Snape and Lilly too. Poor poor Snape:'(

Also I loved the scene where harry meets dumbledore at King's Cross:D

A MASTERPIECE REALLY:D

I used to follow up on Harry Potter, but now I'm so lost because I stopped watching the films - not my decision. I'm going to find/get all the movies I can, and dedicate a day watching them until I'm all caught up.

Other than that, someday I will see this. XD

moog

Sponsor

9robin3 please dont forget that some havent seen this, so please remember to put movie talk in spoilers, thanks, as goes for everyone

So right you are!
Altought I tend to agree with 9robin3, I think they should've included at least a bit of an explanation about the Dumbledore/Snape stuff.

Spoilers don't hurt anything; not adding them can. It's a little thing and it's not hard to edit them in; not a serious problem or anything.

The Kings Cross scene was great. Especially because all the way through I was thinking "hi religious shit, heaven, etc" but it was explained it was happening in Harry's head - which I thought was fantastic. It goes along with Discworld's image of death really - that when you die, you go to where you think you go when you die. Whatever you believe happens. That's just how it's always been. The fact that goes on in your head is what makes it acceptible and frankly interesting. Near death experiences are always like that. Your mind thinks it's dead so your brain goes into a dream-like state and- etc.

Anyway I just liked that scene more than I thought I would. It made sense and it worked brilliantly. Rowling is a clever person.

moog

Sponsor

noise":2za0f4m3 said:
what if anybody hasnt seen this they are LIVING UNDER A RIOCK also the book has been out for a few YEARS now so there's no excuse

too bad. some havent read the book and its polite to just add them in like wyatt said; it isnt that hard

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.