Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

True Pokemon Starter Kit

Hello everyone! (Hope I'm allowed to post this here..)

To those who don't know, at PokeCommunity Forums, there's a guy named Poccil working on a Pokemon Starter Kit.

It's an amazing Starter Kit that's really easy to understand. It has so many features already of most (if not all) previous Pokemon games (Ex. Breeding, Bug Catching, Safari Zone, Day/Night, Full Battle System, plus so much more etc. etc.)

His website: To Download
Notes (how to use it): Notes.Html

If you need help, or have any questions, ask here. I'm quite experienced in using it, so just ask!
Credit Poccil, not me, if you use it, because I did not make it, just thought you guys should know about it =P

-Krobe

I just read the notes and it seems like its nearly complete, or fully cause I didn't read the whole thing :-/
From just reading the notes, I have to say that the guy has determination cause I would have been bored halfway through..Animation Editor? XD awesome.

@Poccil, great job!

Wow just played through the demo and it's great! Finally there's a complete(or maybe 99% complete) Pokemon Starter kit =D Makes me wanna start up a pokemon game, maybe I will as a side project.
Just don't go full screen or change the resolution because it does weird things on certain maps like in the cnnected maps demos characters will follow the map and it'll be half light and half dark, of raining on one side and snowing on the other XD
But besides the full screen thing it's perfect, I love it =D

Edit: Oh my god, looking into the files that are in the demo, there's already data and battlers and all that annoying to edit stuff for all 493 Pokemon(including the shiny versions), All 50 TMs, 8 HMs, 500 Items,  354 moves, 77 Abilities, and names and speech for over 100 trainers(you still need to set up their items and pokemon though), is all set up already. So all's that would need editing would be the trainers and graphics for a game(unless you plan on using custom pokemon and items etc. like most people will but still...). So a huge portion of the work is done for you already.
Ok my mind's made up, I'm starting a pokemon side project XD

@Mr.Mo - You would have been bored halfway, or you were? xD But nevertheless, it's not all complete, it still has a few minor bugs (like the one that thelongabcsong mentioned), and some more features to implement. (many contests, perhaps battle tent from Pokemon Emerald? o.o)

@thelongabcsong - I know right? And it's really easy to customize and add your own stuff (although I'm still learning how to add items, because that goes more into the scripts part). All those things you mentioned, theres more. If you look in the PBS folder, and open bttrainers.txt and btpokemon.txt, you'll notice that he even put in every trainer you could face in the Battle Tower, with all the edited Pokemon included (edited meaning what they hold etc. etc.).

To top it all off, if you test play it, you'll find 'test play only' features, like the in depth stats of your Pokemon (IVs EVs,), able to change the custom terrain tags on each tile set, (because Rpg Maker only goes up to 7, with this it can go up to 99), an individual code for each Pokemon you hold thats compatible with Visual Boy Advance (I'm guessing to transfer over? o.o), and online trading using NetPlay (but he's still working on that part, as it's buggy) and so much more. Explore each feature, and I'm sure everyone will make their own Pokemon Fan Game =P

-Krobe

[Edit] Also.. theres a weird mini-game in the cave in test play. Its kinda like Rock Paper Scissors, but with HP and Atk and such. Pretty neat if you ask me.

..You are kidding, right? This has been posted on here tons of times..XD

Hey Krobe, Legend of Awesome from Pokecommunity. =D

Yes, Poccil is one of the Game Development Gods when it comes to Pokemon. ;\ It is super easy to add battles, battlers, edit the Terrain tags, Battle Animations (I.E. in the Database, make new Animations, name it MOVE=TACKLE (er I think) and add! :P), Tons of awesome features, The Breeding, Evolving, catching, battling, EVERYTHING! =D

Guy above me :)P):
On the site click pokestarter.zip

The one problem I had with this is when I tried to use the Visual Editor to make a linked map, when I pushed A, I got an error.  I also cant go into a battle without getting a error message.  Help?!

hi122neo":rawkpyra said:
The one problem I had with this is when I tried to use the Visual Editor to make a linked map, when I pushed A, I got an error.  I also cant go into a battle without getting a error message.  Help?!

You might have done it wrong, it's a bit easier to open up PBS > connections.txt, and do it from there.

The error message you get, might be because you put the encounters.txt there might be an error in there. The error message was probably recorded in error.txt, open it up, and copy the errors in a reply. =P

-Krobe

this isnt as hard to use as he says.

And, it has more bugs than A Bug's Life.

I was encountering battles in the room where the game starts.  WTF?

Yeah, Poccil's kit is amazing. He's actually a member here, and a very helpful one. Since he hasn't made a topic for this himself, I don't know if he really wants one. I'd like to see what he has to say.

I've downloaded it and messed with his sample game a long time ago, but haven't done more than that. There are a couple of bugs that I found, but the amount of detail in it is amazing. I plan to use it for a Pokemon project I've been planning for a long time, but it's a much lower priority than my other projects.

hi122neo":7ync8azt said:
OMG THANK YOU!

Oh, but what's the Outline for Connecting maps for the .txt?  I'll experiment, but Im not sure If I can!
You should be able to find that question over on the Notes.html, it shows you how to edit almost every feature in detail.

xephyr14":7ync8azt said:
this isnt as hard to use as he says.

And, it has more bugs than A Bug's Life.

I was encountering battles in the room where the game starts.  WTF?

It's a demo.. what'dya expect?

Despain":7ync8azt said:
Yeah, Poccil's kit is amazing. He's actually a member here, and a very helpful one. Since he hasn't made a topic for this himself, I don't know if he really wants one. I'd like to see what he has to say.

Well he's very active over on Pkmncommunity, and he made a thread there quite awhile ago about this. So I figured as such that he wouldn't mind it being posted here, as long as it was linked to his site (just as the thread over on PC).

What are the bugs that everyone's been finding?
I've been screwing around with it for 2 days now and only found the one about the resolution which could easily be fixed with a script that disables the full screen feature.

thelongabcsong":v8ke8ktp said:
I've been screwing around with it for 2 days now and only found the one about the resolution which could easily be fixed with a script that disables the full screen feature.

Yea, I noticed that, too!  Super buggy my ass!

thelongabcsong":2msp9y04 said:

Just minor things, if you look at the dates in Notes.html where he posted the updated version, you'll see all the scripts/buggs he's fixed. Theres also a bug with the online trading (something about it not working). Theres a bug for me, that I can't seem to find out how to fix it. I sent a pm to Poccil but he's been away for quite awhile now, so I'm not sure. I'll post it here, perhaps someone could help me? (not too experienced with scripts heh).

Exception: Hangup
Message: The script is taking too long.  The game will restart.
PBIntl:43:in `pbSetTextMessages'
PBIntl:36:in `each'
PBIntl:36:in `pbSetTextMessages'
Compiler:2353
Section051:43:in `pbSetTextMessages'
Section051:36:in `each'
Section051:36:in `pbSetTextMessages'
Section113:2353

If you can't help, then it doesn't matter, I'm just not good with scripting =P

-Krobe

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.