Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Rant/Advice Thread

My opinion is that you have to live your life for yourself, not for others. Do what you want because we don't know when we're going to be leaving this place and it's foolish to waste what little time we have trying to make everyone else happy.

That probably sounds a little bit bitchy, but it's how I feel and I suppose it's something to think about since it sounds like you're just looking for opinions (and/or to vent, which is totally cool). I wish you luck! <3

Yesterday I spent my time at home seeking out employment agencies in my local area. Many I have went to in person (with only one accepting in-person resumes), while the rest told me to go online. So thus, I did.

Most of them appeared to be job-search site, with no "apply" button. Some I already had an application on file, though I never heard from them again. I did update them, though. I managed to find one site with an "apply" button, and I filled it out and it asked me to set up an interview. I chose tomorrow.

I received a call saying they are picky about who they choose, and they asked why everything was blank (work history and resume). The site said to leave out employment information from five years plus. So I did (I hadn't worked since 2007), and I have no resume that reflects anything.

Basically I'm a bit sad, because I was really happy that I could be going somewhere with all this job searching. But it seems that because I have no experience doing anything, and no cheap place will hire me, I'll never get anything...

Injury

Awesome Bro

I guess I come on too strong, have a strong personality or something. I try to have a relationship with someone, obviously we start out as friends. I don't see why it's necessary for females to tell me they only want friendship, it's complicated, I'm not looking for something serious etc. No shit. Nothing starts out serious. It starts out as friendship and you see if your interested in someone before you move forward.

Why would you bother telling me this shit? Why are you cutting off potential avenues of emotional, psychological and social growth? It seems to be endemic with the girls I meet of late.

Then I say thank you for being straight forward and not leading me on, and you say I deserve better and I'll find someone who likes me and will have lots of babies etc., etc.

If I deserve better, how are you not better for me in this sense? I don't understand why I deserve better, but better wants to be friends.

Love will find you, yeah right. Love won't find those who don't look for it.

I lead a shallow existence in this mindset. I must change. I don't know what I should change because I'm a nice guy and deserve better, but I guess I have to change. The only way up is down, to become what I hate is to accept no reservations of my character, my morals and my ideas.

I don't want advice. All the advice I get seems to be garbage wrapped in sympathetic idioms and fantastic notions.

I'm in the army, going to a dead end. Time to get my shit together and focus on my next moves. School, moving out west, finding a job, building a life that I enjoy.

Fuck it.

Sauk

Sponsor

Injury":1rr324er said:

FFS!

I had written out like 4 paragraphs to try and give you my 2 cents but apparently I timed out. I can't remember it word for word so hopefully you aren't offended by me cliff noting it,

Basically I had said that you're on the right track about needing to develop your own sense of character because it seems as though you're seeking a girlfriend to motivate and inspire you. I had said originally that this isn't going to be the case and depending on another to bring out a good quality isn't productive as inevitably something will go wrong and depending on the situation could leave you more shattered than you were previously since you wouldn't have your well of confidence anymore.

I then said that if you are interested in pursuing a girlfriend still then you need to reassess your approach. You can't come across as if you NEED them; you need to make them need you. I went into detail about my own personal experiences saying that because of my arrogant and narcissistic nature I implement push/pull without even realizing it which is why I'm given so many opportunities with women on a day to day basis. You can't come across as needy with chicks; it's a major turn off, and although I don't know your situation with dates I'm assuming that somehow you're coming across as though you need this chick in your life. I make it subconsciously clear to them that I do have other options, I don't crave their attention, I don't care if they're not into me, and I'll do what I want when I want no matter what and what that seems to do for me 99.9% of the time is set up unintentional interest (which just further intensifies as I deny them the attention they want from me). Push/Pull is no joke man; if you can give a girl desire then take away their assurance you'll have them jumping through hoops.

I literally did very little interaction with this one chick which sparked her interest since she had never really experienced frequent and subtle rejection before; she was wrapped around my finger just by me only giving into her desires when I wanted to and for as long as I wanted to. Be dominant, you're the man. Be adamant, you're the man. If you take a girl on a date, treat it as if it's just a thing you always do. Ask her questions about herself since women do like a man who screens for qualities he does/doesn't like and don't be afraid to disagree if you do (respectfully, of course), but don't make the night about romantic attraction.

You seem like a good dude and I wish you the best bruv.

Injury":1159crgb said:
because I'm a nice guy

oh man I fucking hate being a nice guy sometimes.

Let us get one thing straight, I am a REALLY nice person. I give a lot. I mean I've probably given away thousands in small loans to friends that I never asked to be payed back nor do I intend to. I've turned down money for small amounts of drugs. I've driven people to cities an hour away and payed for all the gas myself. I've convinced people that they are in fact attractive.

Now most of the time I think about this stuff and I get this nice warm fuzzy feeling like I transformed into Santa and back, but then sometimes I get obsessed with the fact that none of that has ever happened to me. I get hugs from girls and shit and I have literally no enemies which is all good, but sometimes I wonder if I'd actually be better off had I been more selfish. I'd sure as hell have a lot more money.

Then the evil side in me goes away and it's all good.

What do you mean, "you people"?

Anyway yeah I can be assertive and I often am, especially with the ladies these days, selfish creatures they are. I enjoy giving though, it makes me feel nice and I choose to give more than I ask. Maybe I just don't want as much.

Spoo

Sponsor

Got another Marines recruiting letter. Kind of put a damper on the mood for me today.

I kind of harbor an irrational dislike of recruiters. From when I was about six, I wanted to enlist. I liked the idea of excitement and the idea of danger never really bothered me, however stupid I may have been. Still doesn't, really. Anyways, honor and chivalry and heroism and shit was all the rage to adolescent me and I was pretty convinced that I was going to go for it. As I grew to know more about the job(s) and perks the military offered, I only wanted it more.

Well, then I turned twelve, got diagnosed with Type I diabetes and fell into a shitty mental and emotional state for five years and the military thing kind of got put in the back of my mind. I didn't know all the implications of having diabetes regarding the military, but at the time it didn't really concern me, partially because of the religious shitstorm I mentioned previously.

So the years passed, I sorted my personal moral issues, and the idea of the armed forces began to appeal to me again. I was nearing the end of my high school road and opportunities for college support were pretty scarce for a mediocre student such as myself. I was seventeen at this point and I had kind of figured out that infantry wasn't going to happen for me on account of my disease. I could live with that; I still had opportunities that didn't require a super good bill of health.

Then the recruiters came. Throughout my junior and senior year, we had quite a few encounters with these guys -- from every branch of service. Navy, Coast Guard, Army, Marines, [to a lesser extent] Air Force -- they all came to have some words with us. Namely, telling us that enlisting was the shit, that college would come easy and we'd get respect and recognition and the bitches (I'm not shitting you on that one). Point is, they had no reservations about telling us it was a reaaaaly good option. At this point, I feel the need to make clear that I know more or less everything coming out of these guys' (and gals') mouths was blatant propaganda and that the reality would never live up.

Knowing that didn't do me much good. I was still really into the whole idea. So when question time came and I asked about my place in the military with a [manageable] disease, I was kind of surprised to get really half-assed answers. It was like they didn't want to answer me outright. So I googled my predicament instead and was met with a really shitty conclusion:

They wouldn't even consider me.

Diabetics don't have a place in the military. Like, at all. Best case scenario for one, I read, was that a person diagnosed after being stationed somewhere might get put at a desk job somewhere if he or she was lucky. More often though, it meant discharge. I never found a different story than that. The only real support I had was from other diabetics who were actively trying to change the system.

So knowing just how shitty my situation was, I pushed the idea out of my mind and tried to just phase it out when the recruiters came again. But I still tended to hear everything about how the army was so fuckin' good and how the marine corps was the tits and everything else. I got super, super resentful -- I felt like I was being mocked for having a genetic disease that I couldn't help. For years, any therapy I got regarding my diabetes told me "Diabetes can't stop you from doing anything!" and all I was thinking now was how much of a heaping load of shit that statement was. To be a major wuss here and be totally honest, it hurt. It hurt really fucking bad.

But at the very least, I got through it. I never snapped at any recruiter and I was usually able to rationalize that these dudes are just doing their job -- it wasn't their fault. Still, I tend to get in a bad mood whenever someone tells me I should enlist. I know I'm being petty and all.

Sorry for that. Needed to get that off my chest. Carry on with your Valentine's Day and have a good one.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Spooky":za6h2fz6 said:
Got another Marines recruiting letter. Kind of put a damper on the mood for me today.

I kind of harbor an irrational dislike of recruiters. From when I was about six, I wanted to enlist. I liked the idea of excitement and the idea of danger never really bothered me, however stupid I may have been. Still doesn't, really. Anyways, honor and chivalry and heroism and shit was all the rage to adolescent me and I was pretty convinced that I was going to go for it. As I grew to know more about the job(s) and perks the military offered, I only wanted it more.

Well, then I turned twelve, got diagnosed with Type I diabetes and fell into a shitty mental and emotional state for five years and the military thing kind of got put in the back of my mind. I didn't know all the implications of having diabetes regarding the military, but at the time it didn't really concern me, partially because of the religious shitstorm I mentioned previously.

So the years passed, I sorted my personal moral issues, and the idea of the armed forces began to appeal to me again. I was nearing the end of my high school road and opportunities for college support were pretty scarce for a mediocre student such as myself. I was seventeen at this point and I had kind of figured out that infantry wasn't going to happen for me on account of my disease. I could live with that; I still had opportunities that didn't require a super good bill of health.

Then the recruiters came. Throughout my junior and senior year, we had quite a few encounters with these guys -- from every branch of service. Navy, Coast Guard, Army, Marines, [to a lesser extent] Air Force -- they all came to have some words with us. Namely, telling us that enlisting was the shit, that college would come easy and we'd get respect and recognition and the bitches (I'm not shitting you on that one). Point is, they had no reservations about telling us it was a reaaaaly good option. At this point, I feel the need to make clear that I know more or less everything coming out of these guys' (and gals') mouths was blatant propaganda and that the reality would never live up.

Knowing that didn't do me much good. I was still really into the whole idea. So when question time came and I asked about my place in the military with a [manageable] disease, I was kind of surprised to get really half-assed answers. It was like they didn't want to answer me outright. So I googled my predicament instead and was met with a really shitty conclusion:

They wouldn't even consider me.

Diabetics don't have a place in the military. Like, at all. Best case scenario for one, I read, was that a person diagnosed after being stationed somewhere might get put at a desk job somewhere if he or she was lucky. More often though, it meant discharge. I never found a different story than that. The only real support I had was from other diabetics who were actively trying to change the system.

So knowing just how shitty my situation was, I pushed the idea out of my mind and tried to just phase it out when the recruiters came again. But I still tended to hear everything about how the army was so fuckin' good and how the marine corps was the tits and everything else. I got super, super resentful -- I felt like I was being mocked for having a genetic disease that I couldn't help. For years, any therapy I got regarding my diabetes told me "Diabetes can't stop you from doing anything!" and all I was thinking now was how much of a heaping load of shit that statement was. To be a major wuss here and be totally honest, it hurt. It hurt really fucking bad.

But at the very least, I got through it. I never snapped at any recruiter and I was usually able to rationalize that these dudes are just doing their job -- it wasn't their fault. Still, I tend to get in a bad mood whenever someone tells me I should enlist. I know I'm being petty and all.

Sorry for that. Needed to get that off my chest. Carry on with your Valentine's Day and have a good one.

As someone in the Army, I will say this right now: I'm the last person you would have expected to join the military. I never liked the recruiters. I never went in to hear their BS, I did my research.

Nothing is as it seems. Joining and service, as much as an honor it seems to be, is also taking away a lot of my freedoms, time and friendships...I you understand how much greener the grass is where your standing.

Yahoo Mail. I think I've had enough of it. The recent layout change was bad enough. But now I'm hearing complaints that emails can take up to 20 hours to get through. What the hell?!
I don't know if this is a recent problem or not. I tested it out by sending an email to another account, over an hour later and there's still nothing. That's terrible, makes me wonder how many email never went through. Or if people are actually responding as soon as they get my emails, but they are getting days later.

I just came back to rant.

Free rants? Good, I use one.

I fucking hate ADD. I fucking hate it so much.

I can't believe I'm still in school. I should have been gone 2 years ago. Finally in my last semester and it's like peeling nails. It takes me 8 hours to do something I should have finished in just an hour. Hell, I can't even remember procrastinating. I can't remember apparently opting to sleep in some mornings, though I definitely did. I don't know why there can be so many things I can love and be utterly enthralled by for hours, even days, on end. Yet as soon as you slap the idea of "assignment" on it it's like plunging my face into ice water to do it. Fuck fuck fuck.

Sauk

Sponsor

^ the amount of feels I'm feeling is unbelievable and is exactly why I dropped out of school in grade 10. Do you get episodes of aggression due to frustration or from comparing yourself to others? That's one of my biggest issues, personally and is something I've been working hard at to stop doing.

Sometimes, but not so much. I don't often compare myself to others and feel bad about it about schoolwork. The thing is, I place pretty much zero value on it. I'm not jealous of people who do well at school, I'm jealous of people who make beautiful art and wonderful games.

What gets me mad is that I think I could do it too. If I had the fucking time between all my procrastination. I think I could make wonderful beautiful things, because when I'm working on something I'm passionate about I can immerse myself in it, drown in it, breath it, and do it. My mind is restructured until my passion becomes an obsession, and then it's finished and I step out and admire it.

But I CANT DO THAT. It's like this bullshit other stuff is some voracious entity that consumes all time and mental energy for passion. After sucking in my time and mind, it says "Wow, that was shit. Got anymore?"

Another analogy: Imagine trying to drive somewhere but the car wont start. You keep putting you foot on the pedal but it simple useless revs and whines. You're pissed as hell because it was blasting around at great speeds on the open roads just a moment ago, but now that you have to use the damn thing to get to an appointment it wont work.

I wanna beat up my boss man :box:

This fucking guy tells me YESTERDAY AS I'M LEAVING WORK, that TODAY I had to feed a party 120+ people. It's just pizza and chicken wings so it's not too difficult but still that's a shitload of food. There were 25 16-inch pizzas, and 16 orders of a dozen wings (192 total). Oh, and a big ass salad. So then it's not until we're about to begin cooking everything that we find out THE PARTY WASN'T AT OUR RESTAURANT BUT IT WAS AT THE OTHER FUCKING BAR JUST TWO BLOCKS DOWN THE ROAD AND WE HAD TO DELIVER EVERYTHING IN A FORD FIESTA.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.