Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Quick Ideas/Concepts Thread

Injury

Awesome Bro

Anyway, quick idea was:

Mode7, active battle system, vertical "scroller" where the player navigates a dungeon to find the exit.

I'll post more once I worked on a level. I want mode7 to angle it and make it feel like not everything is shown right away.

I have a bunch of other ideas regarding this. Now that I have MV, I expect I'll try to do some android app ideas I had, depending on
how much time I have. School.

As mode 7 is an after effect MV will be better for it (access to scripts that were hidden in ace and below). That said I've yet to see a mode 7 script.

Injury":2hrl63h4 said:
Anyway, quick idea was:

Mode7, active battle system, vertical "scroller" where the player navigates a dungeon to find the exit.

I'll post more once I worked on a level. I want mode7 to angle it and make it feel like not everything is shown right away.

I have a bunch of other ideas regarding this. Now that I have MV, I expect I'll try to do some android app ideas I had, depending on
how much time I have. School.
I actually was thinking the other day how Hyper Dimension Neptunia Rebirth's battle system can translate into Mode7 pretty nicely. Would have been very interesting to see such a battle system implemented back in the SNES days.

It's probably one of the better examples of how a rotating 3rd-person camera can drastically benefit the game-play even on a flat-field. I think this would be amazing to see done in MV mixed in with sprites.

As for implementing on MV, I don't have MV but from looking at the JS code base a crude, fast mode-7 effect should take about 10 minutes to implement. I'd actually mimic how it was done on the SNES via manipulating a tile-map (the background layer on the SNES) with a texture matrix.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Also...Lovecraft like universe. Humans are the racial minority. Something about survival. Long lost genetic code unlocks hidden potential in a few humans.

potential for having alien team mates.

thoughts of just a solo run game. Gun mechanic, upgrade mechanic, etc. Skills on a hot bar, visual hp gauges and HUDs and whatnot.

Working on it a bit to pass the time.

Injury

Awesome Bro

More ideas...

Card based Shuffle Battle system based game.

Bear with me. Just fleshing this idea out.

There is a main action timeline, and it is always moving. The card are being "read" as it were by the timeline.

In battle, you start out with a random timeline including attacks, buffs/debuffs/items/monster attacks/skills/etc and you also have a deck to draw from. You draw three cards at the start, one per turn, skipping the first turn. You use the cards, items, attacks, whatever to change the outcome of battle. I thinking of having attacks go in the timeline and cards being a separate thing that modifies combat on the fly. Like attaching a "Burning" pre-fix card to a regular attack makes it a "Burning Attack" or something...

More ideas to come on this. I might be doing this up with RTP assets like another idea i had.

Injury

Awesome Bro

OK! Now that I'm not so drunk and whatnot here is more for this idea...

Cards to modify the battlefield as it were
Cards to modify the time the "Timeline" takes to "read" cards.

I had the idea that yes you draw three random cards, but the constant 5 places on screen where the cards will be placed are blank. We can always throw random stuff in there too...

I have more ideas, I just need to get this fleshed out like all the other things I'm working on. I want to see if I can figure out how to script some of this up, or at least use scripting to handle the numerical processing for any enemies

All celestial bodies within a solar system have avatars on a planet. (Why? I don't know.)
The main character is a comet or maybe a rogue dwarf planet that enters a system for the first time and awakens on a planet. As an Avatar s/he has unique abilities that they are happy to share with the mortal population.
But for story conflict, they're on a time limit since their their celestial body (the comet or whatever) will pass out of the planetary system and their avatar will disappear.

Possible plot threads could be the other planets want to capture the main characters as a moon or something and take your abilities for themselves. This all being a kind of Macro/Micro/meta cosmic synchronicity thing.
Some kind of self sacrifice where the main character vanquishes an evil empire as a meteor impact.
Or maybe destroying some kind of "god machine" that frees mortals from the other celestial body avatars.

Maybe monsters are all asteroids.

The main character's Avatar on the planet dies, or disappears, but comes back after it's celestial body passing around the sun. Becoming aware of their time limit on Earth. Has a second chance to make things right on the planet.

Wizards are charlatans

Player can learn spells, but they require real ingredients like chemistry or misdirection.

Wizards are revered as gods, but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.