Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Quick Ideas/Concepts Thread

Injury":1lwz1vdm said:
Yes, sorry System Shock 2. I just wish I had spacey themed tile sets, isometric or otherwise, to map some stuff out, get something made!
Ah, wouldn't you'd rather make it a first-person space station crawler than a top-down RPG?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpuTbxkaZ94

I'm just really convinced that a space horror would work well as a first-person RPG, I actually started writing a game script with my sister around this back when I was experimenting with the idea (Which was a long time ago now, I was still coding ray-casters and my scary FPS videos were the testing versions for the concept).

Injury

Awesome Bro

I'd say yes, if it was like doom, until encounters when you go into something like fallout 1's combat mode with action points. I like the front person, but I don't like the idea of constantly clicking to move around...Is that an idea worth consideration? I hope so.

Playing with an idea of a society based on Bees. Specifically collecting nectar and pollinating flowers. Not so much the Queen and drone parts.
I don't want to write a conflict that disturbs their way of life or nature's cycle. I just want a fantasy setting to work under.
It'd be a man vs man or vs himself. But not society or nature.

Had this vision of a kind of angel character only he is more like a robot in some ways. He's lying dormant with the rest of his kind and he awakens. His duty is very clear. He doesn't question anything. There is no blurred line between right and wrong or good and evil. He just does what he does in a very logical way. Finding reasonable solutions for everything. He's not a human character. I imagine a story where he ends up in very complicated situations. Like your classic 2 people in a burning building- can only save one. Build tension with the question of who he'll save or maybe he'll find a way to save both. The surprised twist; he doesn't save either of them. Instead there was something bigger to take care of that no one else was seeing like preventing an explosion that would have killed even more people.
Then for the climax have moment where he doesn't know what to do for a change. Or that all his actions were already predicted by a devil character who's been setting him up for some major event.

Wish I could develop this stuff out more. But I've got no time for it.

coyotecraft":2l4k0q70 said:
Had this vision of a kind of angel character only he is more like a robot in some ways. He's lying dormant with the rest of his kind and he awakens. His duty is very clear. He doesn't question anything. There is no blurred line between right and wrong or good and evil. He just does what he does in a very logical way. Finding reasonable solutions for everything. He's not a human character. I imagine a story where he ends up in very complicated situations. Like your classic 2 people in a burning building- can only save one. Build tension with the question of who he'll save or maybe he'll find a way to save both. The surprised twist; he doesn't save either of them. Instead there was something bigger to take care of that no one else was seeing like preventing an explosion that would have killed even more people.
Then for the climax have moment where he doesn't know what to do for a change. Or that all his actions were already predicted by a devil character who's been setting him up for some major event.

Wish I could develop this stuff out more. But I've got no time for it.

pretty fucking crazy that i have been mulling over a nearly identical idea about some sort of robot creature being awakened in 'RPG-land' (you know the place.) to a world that doesnt know what he is and following a story that would make him some sort of creature of myth. Thought about doing the whole remnant of a long lost civilization thing and him undertaking some old goal of theirs through his millenia-old programming. Maybe even ending in the Robot being the bringer of the apocalypse.

You would upgrade the robot at other relics of the ancient civilization that only the robot is able to enable but he would roll along using a shield and sword like all of the other inhabitants of the world.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Game where you can mix and match powers across other old school games.

IE Mario and Sonic both have jumps
Mario can, let's just say, shoot fire balls
Sonic can spin/go super fast
Switcheroo

Or something along those lines...

A crossover game where heroes can "steal" each other's powers and stuff...

Came to me in a dream.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Since there is no one else in this thread ATM...

Please look over the thread I've reposted, FS: Unity, Inhabit, 1,000,000 Souls, Heal Me, Bro!...

I just dont want replies in those thread, I just need feedback, direction for those threads/ideas in general

I have this idea for a single-map micro project, suited for HBGG.

I might turn it into a development thread, where I do quick concepts and draw out designs around this single map and piece it together, covering asset generation, level design, etc in the thread. It might be interesting to have a thread dedicated to a micro project's development cycle.

My concept right now is making a building that strongly communicates its purpose with interesting effects, like a hot spring at night-time (lots of steam, lantern lit, insects flying about).

Xilef":plgtu2xu said:
I have this idea for a single-map micro project, suited for HBGG.

I might turn it into a development thread, where I do quick concepts and draw out designs around this single map and piece it together, covering asset generation, level design, etc in the thread. It might be interesting to have a thread dedicated to a micro project's development cycle.

My concept right now is making a building that strongly communicates its purpose with interesting effects, like a hot spring at night-time (lots of steam, lantern lit, insects flying about).
It's really refreshing to experience maps that have 100% of the effort put into overall polish and experience, rather than quantity or quality of graphics. PS: HBGG supports as many maps as you want, just in case you didn't already know ;)

Injury

Awesome Bro

Maybe it would be easier to do it in unity. It's either that or I draw/design backgrounds and just set the levels up that way...

Can't really think of a better way to get detail than pre-rendered backgrounds and adding stuff on top of it...

I'll try to get this working zen, thanks!

Injury

Awesome Bro

I see where Game_Character1 is and the directions, but what would I have to modify to make it so the character NEVER turns down?

Also, does anyone want to make some money or get some games/copy of rmvx ace/ for making a sprite? PM if interested

looking for a mental patient, female, white hair, non-standard size...think more mugen sprite size or something.

thanks!

edit:

Something along these lines, but all mental patient like, or just tips on how to make this happen!
2wgvs79.png

Injury":1k09so2v said:
I see where Game_Character1 is and the directions, but what would I have to modify to make it so the character NEVER turns down?

Also, does anyone want to make some money or get some games/copy of rmvx ace/ for making a sprite? PM if interested

looking for a mental patient, female, white hair, non-standard size...think more mugen sprite size or something.

thanks!

edit:

Something along these lines, but all mental patient like, or just tips on how to make this happen!
2wgvs79.png
To make the character never turn down/up, just comment out the lines move_down and move_up that are in Game_Player.

Injury

Awesome Bro

ZenVirZan":17ssa5kx said:
Injury":17ssa5kx said:

thanks!

edit:

2wgvs79.png
To make the character never turn down/up, just comment out the lines move_down and move_up that are in Game_Player.

Thanks zen, worked perfectly

What if...the characters were all immortal A.I. downloaded into human hosts. When someone dies, the others look for a compatible host body. Avoiding any low hanging fruit, the story wouldn't touch any of the obvious moral and ethical issues about human enslavement. It's just the way things are.
You'd still be saving the world. But it would be the A.I.'s world.

In a rare occurrence, A person with the power to see into the past through Psychometry, establishes a connection with a seer in the distant past. The 2 share a beneficial relationship.

There's a lot of story potential there. But game wise, it would work best as an Adventure game or Visual Novel. Most Passive abilities do. I should really try doing something other than rpgs for a change; they have too many prerequisites.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.