Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

whenever a new dynasty warriors comes out i play it until my hands are broken and bruised
and its the exact. same. game. EXACT SAME. every. time. EVERYTIME.

if summins fun you play it and have fun :eek:

i'm all for innovation but i'm def not against sticking to what works either!

moxie

Sponsor

yeah, it's pretty annoying and pretentious when developers shit all over a good thing just to be "innovative"

Majora's Mask was a good example of keeping a formula that works but changing it just enough so that it feels fresh and new - as much as I would love to see more unique Zelda titles like that, they're probably not going to chance it. it may be standard Nintendo but they're still solid & enjoyable games, and that's what counts.

moog

Sponsor

Twirly":br5qigc2 said:
moog":br5qigc2 said:
idk i wasnt a huge fan of TP tbh

i loved majoras mask, see when they change it up the game actually gets better!
majoras mask sold 3 million, ocarina of time on the other hand sold more than 7 million :)

what is your point

moog

Sponsor

i still think LTTP is the best zelda of all time. Why cant they make another overhead view zelda game? I think it'd be amazing.

i can't tell if you're joking now or not :I

also they made 4 swords adventures for the gamecube like that! and it was actually a really good game, even the single player mode. really underrated imo.

moog

Sponsor

why would I be joking? LTTP was virtually flawless despite its short playtime.

also they made 4 swords adventures for the gamecube like that! and it was actually a really good game, even the single player mode. really underrated imo.

i agree completely! and I thought this was pretty dope. 2D zelda games can be made and I would consider them each better than the last. The minish cap? Come on, thats like right under LTTP in my favorite Zelda games. Capcom should be in charge of all of link's future quests.

i meant about doing another zelda with the top-down perspective.

phantom hourglass and spirit tracks have kind of that top-down view (although are not as strictly top-down at lttp) and ph was a great game, actually! spirit tracks was a huge let down imo.

as much as i love link's handheld quests, they don't quite live up to full-blown 3D zelda for me. i adore games like minish cap and lttp but to me they never feel quite as epic or huge as ocarina of time or twilight princess. there's just something missing from them, i think, and they always feel somewhat emptier than their console counterparts. but maybe that's just me?

Jason

Awesome Bro

Nah devy I'm the same, portable versions of a big franchise always feel like the v0.5 of the franchise, they always lack in some way, like a mini adventure of sorts... unfortunately the LoZ games are the same way too.

Twirly

Sponsor

moog":1zcu37cs said:
Twirly":1zcu37cs said:
moog":1zcu37cs said:
idk i wasnt a huge fan of TP tbh

i loved majoras mask, see when they change it up the game actually gets better!
majoras mask sold 3 million, ocarina of time on the other hand sold more than 7 million :)

what is your point
nintendo is a company they make what sells and yeah its kindof a shame i want something like majoras mask again

Twirly

Sponsor

Jbrist":3797c5ar said:
Nah devy I'm the same, portable versions of a big franchise always feel like the v0.5 of the franchise, they always lack in some way, like a mini adventure of sorts... unfortunately the LoZ games are the same way too.
except minish cap IMO, that was awesome!

moog

Sponsor

dev i dont agree, i think LTTP has a spark inside it that makes it more gargantuan than OOT, but thats just me. The world is just as vast as its successor, the only main diff is the allotted time. top down zelda games are awesome imo. also PH and ST were both crap imo

maybe it's because i didn't play lttp until i was 13 or something and never really had the nostalgia factor playing in like i did with oot and mm. i'm not denying it's still a fantastic game, easily one of the best games on the SNES, and made zelda the series it is today; it's just not my favourite.

i was pleasantly surprised by how much i liked phantom hourglass but i agree that spirit tracks was a HUGE disappointment. it is literally the only zelda game i have evern been bored with. i'm still somewhere in the ocean realm and have no desire to continue playing at all. :/

I find it strange that people seem to think of this as a 'new' Zelda game when Nintendo have blatantly been re-making the same game constantly since 1986.

I've seen DLC packs with more new content than the Zelda games provide.

yeah the best zelda game I have played is LTTP mainly because tons of ideas in future zelda games stem from that game. Im not saying its 100% original, cause its not, but I think it was a major stepping stone in what zelda is today and sort of elevated the game.

I liked the other two DS games as well, they werent the best of the series but they were still fun. They both had flaws but they still were fun.

kreomet th' claus":i0qvidx7 said:
I liked THE IDEA of the DS zeldas but they felt more like point and click adventures than actual zelda games.

Going to agree partially on that. I like the idea of them for sure, and Phantom Hourglass was decent, it was nice to have a continuation to Wind Waker which I personally thought was going to be abandoned or something. Spirit Tracks on the other hand, was a little dull, it brought virtually nothing new except the tracks and the use of Zelda in the game, which whilst interesting wasn't really enough of a step.

Sure story-wise the Zelda games have evolved very little, it's usually, "Ahh, zelda's been captured, Link get the Master Sword and kill Ganon" and yet somehow each time it does it really well. That being said, I'm a long time supporter of Wind Waker despite originally despising it when I was a teenager. It's the most original Zelda game story-wise because yeah, it has the master sword-ganon-zelda has been kidknapped story. But it's not set on a open field, it's on an ocean, it's graphics were totally different. Virtually nothing was recognisable in the game, no Kakariko Town or Death Mountain.

This being said, I'm seriously looking forward to Skyward Sword. At that point, I'm finding trouble where they can evolve the Zelda series from here, because the gameplay will probably not evolve much from here except getting more accurate, more reliable and better graphics... that is of course unless they invent holodecks. I think it has to be story from here that they change up, and I'm not saying remove the Master Sword or Ganon but like Wind Waker, change the story set up a little more like maybe set it in a Steampunk Hyrule or even a somewhat modern game where Epona is a motorcycle brand and Link uses a repeating crossbow.

EDIT: Whilst I'm on the topic, I thought I should bring it up. Nintendo's mistake was that Wind Waker was a game ahead of it's time and Twilight Princess was too little too late. They probably should have been released in the other order, Twilight Princess would have been more suited to follow Ocarina of Time, a graphical upgrade the kind that people wanted. Wind Waker is kind of what people needed after that because it needed to evolve a little more story wise and Wind Waker was perfect for that.

EDIT 2: Also I think even Nintendo are realising that the Ganon-mastersword-zelda'sbeenkidknapped plot is running dry as if you look at their recent games. There's no Ganon in the DS games, no Zelda in Majora's Mask, neither make much of an appearance until late on in Wind Waker and in Twilight Princess, it's Zant until about 2/3 of the way through the game and we don't actually see Ganon until the end. And Zelda appears all of once before the end of the game. So I think Nintendo are trying to limit the way the game's panning out. Also I'm not sure but I haven't seen Ganon or Zelda in any promo material for Skyward Sword which leads me to believe they're not in it, or have very little screen-time like in Twilight Princess.

Ares

Petros":2vjoeybe said:
Sure story-wise the Zelda games have evolved very little, it's usually, "Ahh, zelda's been captured, Link get the Master Sword and kill Ganon" and yet somehow each time it does it really well. That being said, I'm a long time supporter of Wind Waker despite originally despising it when I was a teenager. It's the most original Zelda game story-wise because yeah, it has the master sword-ganon-zelda has been kidknapped story. But it's not set on a open field, it's on an ocean, it's graphics were totally different. Virtually nothing was recognisable in the game, no Kakariko Town or Death Mountain.
I agree that Wind Waker was a very original game in the Zelda series. The ocean and the sailing were nice for a change, but i think it should be balanced more. In WW all the traveling is basicly done sailing, whereas in other games all the traveling is done by foot (or horse). They should make it so that you have travel both ways at some point. The sailing was fun, but after a while we sometimes even switched to regular television and watch that whilst playing until we arrived at the destination.

This being said, I'm seriously looking forward to Skyward Sword. At that point, I'm finding trouble where they can evolve the Zelda series from here, because the gameplay will probably not evolve much from here except getting more accurate, more reliable and better graphics... that is of course unless they invent holodecks. I think it has to be story from here that they change up, and I'm not saying remove the Master Sword or Ganon but like Wind Waker [...]
I am also finding trouble how Zelda is going to be able to evolve after Skyward Sword, but the question is wether that is a really bad thing. I don't have really high standards, because I personally like just exploring a new world and new dungeons, and using new items. Of course a new storyline is necessary, and they should add some more variety, but for me complete style changes aren't a must.

change the story set up a little more like maybe set it in a Steampunk Hyrule or even a somewhat modern game where Epona is a motorcycle brand and Link uses a repeating crossbow.
Meh, I don't like steampunk personally. If they'd replace Epona with a motorcycle etc. I would start to doubt wether to buy it or not, but that's a matter of taste.

One thing they should definitely do is add lots of sidequests, so that it has more things to do after you've completed the game. Like in WW, there were a lot of things to do after completion, but in Twilight Princess the end is pretty much the end...

RobinP":2vjoeybe said:
I find it strange that people seem to think of this as a 'new' Zelda game when Nintendo have blatantly been re-making the same game constantly since 1986.
That's not entirely true, although the base concept has stayed mostly the same, the content did change over the years (maybe not very much, but it's not exactly the same every time). One look at the Pokémon series shows they can do much worse. [/biased opinion]

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.