Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

So E3 is finally here and it's time for me to post like a rampant lunatic in this section showing off videos for each game as they become available. First off it's the eagerly anticipated

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
for Wii... duh.

PART ONE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahvo11jS50

PART TWO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4XpGnegMns

To me I think it's going to be a lot of fun, but a slow starter. The controls look good but like Wii Sports Resort they'll probably take some getting used to before you're able to control your sword and shield properly. I love the idea that you can bowl your bombs too, apparently you'll be able to put spin on them too.

Now Discuss Minions.

It looks to me as if the graphics in this game are more reminiscent of the ones in Wind Waker rather than the ones in Twilight Princess

The graphics come off as a mix of those from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, yeah. But you know what? From what I've seen so far, it pulls it off. They look sleek and crisp, and despite losing the realistic touch from TP the quality of the graphics has taken a huge step up. (although TP was originally intended as a GameCube title)

Graphics aren't a big deal to me though personally I'm really liking these. The graphics in Wind Waker were great but sometimes they felt too cartoony to me. These graphics almost feel reminiscient of A Link to the Past in a way, with its colours.

Not sure how I feel about the control scheme. More motion and movement is a plus, (there was too much dependence on buttons in Twilight Princess) but using the Wiimote to select items sounds awkward. Haven't gotten myself a MotionPlus yet, so I'll have to pick one up.

Still, looks really good. I'm excited for it. I'd love to see a dark and gritty Zelda as much as the rest of the internet, but people always forget that a large chunk of the playerbase are children who don't want that sort of thing. When you make Zelda more mature you lose a big chunk of your players - they're essentially only people that are 13 or older. Metroid is different because over the past decade it's defined itself as a series geared towards older players, but Zelda, like Mario, has been (and always will be) a series that everyone can enjoy.

I'm actually a little glad they've gone with the brighter colour scheme. Twilight Princess was nice and dark and gloomy and atmospheric, but it's nice to return to the brighter colours for a more light hearted game. That way this game doesn't feel like Twilight Princess II and gets a chance to shine on it's own. In a wierd way the colour style and how vivid everything looks reminds me of Avatar. In the same way that you had a movie like The Dark Knight which was dark and gritty and a great film, you had Twilight Princess. Then you've got Avatar, bright colourful but no less of a good movie for which could be Nintendo's Skyward Sword.

regi

Sponsor

Definitely sounds exciting, now that they're expanding to more "realistic" controls. The puzzles I'm sure will be fun, but with newer controls hopefully this will be as incredible as it seems. I'm also glad that they decided to twist the plot a little to mess with those timeline freaks. They're definitely getting more creative, despite following the same cliche (kill Ganon, save princess) over and over again for so many games.

moog":1vw4af0t said:
looks like every other fucking zelda game
how does it look like any other zelda? there's a slight resemblance to twilight princess but the colour scheme has been entirely redone and enemies look completely different. idk how else you're supposed to make it look different than every other zelda :I

moog":2c3ht115 said:
i dont mean graphically, i mean in general

i love zelda dont get me wrong but man its just more of the same.

so is sex
i notice that it's still quite popular
hey the formulas work dude

moog":ic9e3cnj said:
i dont mean graphically, i mean in general

i love zelda dont get me wrong but man its just more of the same.
it doesn't really need to be anything else. the established formula every zelda game since 1987 has used works fine. majora's mask is the only zelda game that comes to mind that really deviates from the standard zelda formula but even it is still very much a zelda game.

we still don't know much about skyward sword yet but even if it's literally an exact replica of how oot or tp's games were paced, i would still love the game as long as the dungeons and items were fun, hyrule was designed well and playing the game was enjoyable.

regi

Sponsor

so an entirely new control scheme doesn't count as "changing up the game"?

dadevster":3pdlzxvt said:
we still don't know much about skyward sword yet but even if it's literally an exact replica of how oot or tp's games were paced, i would still love the game as long as the dungeons and items were fun, hyrule was designed well and playing the game was enjoyable.
this about sums it up for me.

well why would you change it up in the first place the games are never bad and they evolve with new puzzles and items and stuff. Its the same basic formula just different terms i guess. But to be honest why would you change the formula in the first place. Sure playing the exact same game over and over can get monotonous but it really isnt the same game over and over, it changes enough so that the game feels fresh and different. Look at games that changed their basic formula from something great into something good but just not as great. Why would you change something that is already good?

Twirly

Sponsor

dude they make a new cod every year so what the the hell
at least each zelda game has new puzzles and dungeons, that's what it's all about

Twirly

Sponsor

moog":vhqof0fn said:
idk i wasnt a huge fan of TP tbh

i loved majoras mask, see when they change it up the game actually gets better!
majoras mask sold 3 million, ocarina of time on the other hand sold more than 7 million :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.