Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Switch to SMF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd selfishly recommend MyBB but it just doesn't have all the features that I'm sure you guys need... Still, I like to root for the underdog: http://www.mybboard.net/

Anyway, good luck with the server switch!

I recently tried to upgrade my tiny forums, and ended up hitting one link and deleting the entire thing... NEVER "RECOUNT TABLE DATA!" in MySQL options @_@.

Ugh, trust me. MyBB is great, but it's so far behind as far as features and decent skins are concerned that the switch over would be taking twice as long to complete.

SMF is similar enough to the current forum software, which is probably why they're able to do this at this time.

Sles

There are some DL manager mods fairly similar to the vBulletin ones. But I'm not sure if you guys want to use that system anymore, since the server strain with it was so high.

BloodSpawn;331564 said:
There are some DL manager mods fairly similar to the vBulletin ones. But I'm not sure if you guys want to use that system anymore, since the server strain with it was so high.

That's not the only reason. The new RMXP.org will have a fully function main site with resource submission. As more work is done on it we will be asking for member feedback and suggestions on layout and features. For now we have the basic structure down and that is being taken into account when considering forum structure and modifications. The DLM is the perfect example of a feature that will have a better home on a main site rather than was a forum add-on.

For the time being we will most likely host the DLM resources as a download and have them in a stickied topic in the resource forum while we work on the bigger issues (ie. getting the forum working as planned and creating the mainsite).

A little like RPG-palace then (although I can imagine more updates to the news etc) or am I mistaken terribly like before?

I'm gonna stay up for the big swtich 0.o odd, i know, but i've nothing better to do :) *begins thumb twiddling contest*

Anonymous

be sure to get on irc :3:3

also i'm not entirely sure how rpg palace works. what we're AIMING for is a fully-functional mainsite with a lot of highly useful features - project hosting, resource, tutorials, all that good stuff - with forums as just another one of those features, as opposed to really just being a portal for the forums. as much as i hate GGZ it's the closest thing to what we're going for that i can think of - mainsite with forums as just something else to do (although GGZ locks its forums because it's afraid of outside influence, ala north korea).

Sles

no airplane;331612":27f5b969 said:
also i'm not entirely sure how rpg palace works. what we're AIMING for is a fully-functional mainsite with a lot of highly useful features - project hosting, resource, tutorials, all that good stuff - with forums as just another one of those features, as opposed to really just being a portal for the forums. as much as i hate GGZ it's the closest thing to what we're going for that i can think of - mainsite with forums as just something else to do (although GGZ locks its forums because it's afraid of outside influence, ala north korea).

me gusta, except for the "click here to enter page", those make me want to click X

The GGZ layout or functionality isn't our model at all; it was just her example to show how the mainsite comes before the forums. Our mainsite will have a lot of functionality for users, inclusing comments, ratings, resource and game submission, etc, which GGZ doesn't have. But it does show the point well that the forums are a feature of the site rather than the other way around.

It's generally a more professional way of running a site devoted to resources and support for a program. And that's really what rmxp.org is.

Anonymous

B-B-BUMP !!

the forum backup etc. has been moved up to start at 12:45AM EST and will last about as long as it does now - three, four hours tops. sorry for the inconvenience!

Untra

Sponsor

Not to be pessimistic or anything, but out of curiosity, whats the worst that can happen when we migrate to the SMF forums? I just want to be prepared in case anything awful happens (Should I save all my important posts such as the WA entries and grades, and horde as many scripts as possible in the off-chance they get lost?)

Again, not to be pessimistic...

We've already tested it, all posts will be backed up. In terms of posts, private messages and the like you have nothing to worry about. It never hurts to back REALLY IMPORTANT things up just to be on the safe side, but for the most part it's not anything to be really worried about.

Remember you can back up your PMs very easily.
There is, in the move to drop down, a "save as ___" option that will save your PMs as one of three different documents.

Just to avoid people copy and pasting over and over again, figured I'd remind 'em of this.

How do you search for anything by a single user? I want to just search for threads that i've posted in, to check for replys. But it says i have to fill in the 'search for' field =p. Any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.