Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Stemix Academy

• Stemix Academy[/FONT]
      animatedsentientjewel.gif

Welcome to the Stemix Academy.

Here you will learn to use the rare skill of Stemixing through several assignments and tutorials. There is no prize, nor competition. This is purely for those who want to get the most out of RPG Maker.

But what is Stemixing?
      It is a style of art that was originally created by Stevo and then altered by me to fit my RPGs better. It allows for easy and fast creation of charsets, tilesets and other resources. However, this academy will mostly focus on the tileset and charset aspects of the skill.

An example of a tileset made with Stemixing can be found here and here. Note that in those screenshots the outlines of objects are highly visible. That can easily be changed in the process of making them. In fact, I will be dimming the outlines down for the duration of the Academy for those who do not want cartoon-ish RPGs.

Most parts of the academy will consist of the following pattern:
      Information - Basic Assignment - Tutorial - Advanced Assignment - Test

Information: The basic information that you have to know for that part of the academy and beyond. You have to read this.
      Basic Assignment: Throws you into the information given before and that will be given afterwards. It combines what you know with what you do not know yet, in an attempt to have you find things out yourself and experiment with how you like to work the most. It can be skipped if you wish.
      Tutorial: You should definitely read this. It shows you how you should have done the previous assignment. This is where you get the real skill from.
      Advanced Assignment: This is basically a variant on what I have explained in the tutorial. I suggest not skipping these assignments, as they give you skill in what I am explaining in this part of the tutorial.
      Test: A harder assignment, combining everything you've learned in this part with some other aspects. If you skip these you will miss out on what is the most important part of this academy: practice.

If you wish, you can submit the Test (and other assignments) work to me for evaluation. By no means are you required to do so. However, it would increase your Stemix skill and it's free feedback.

Requirements:
      Photoshop CS; or an older version, but I will be showing screenshots of / and explaining CS and not the older versions.
      Working eyes.

Note: All images in this post are darker than they actually are, because my image host majhost.com makes everything darker. If you know a good image filehost that doesn't darken images, please PM me with the link.

Warm/Cold Color Wheel:

colorwheel_temperature.png

Layers:

layerlayout.png

Contents

Chapter 1: Materials
      The Basics
      • Information: Getting Started
      • Basic Assignment: The Ball
      • Tutorial: Basic Shading
      • Advanced Assignment: Multiply and Screen
      • Test: A Different Shape
      Wood
    • Information: Wood Texture
    • Basic Assignment: The Table
    • Tutorial: Basic Furniture
    • Advanced Assignment: Rough Wood
    • Test: Closets
    Stone
    • Information: Stone Texture
    • Basic Assignment: The Rock
    • Tutorial: Basic Stone
    • Advanced Assignment: Cracked Stone
    • Test: The Old Statue
    Metal
    • Information: Metal Shading
    • Basic Assignment: The Metal Ball
    • Tutorial: Basic Metal
    • Advanced Assignment: Metal Pipe
    • Test: Metal Machinery
    Glass
    • Information: Glass Shading
    • Basic Assignment: The Glass Ball
    • Tutorial: Basic Glass
    • Advanced Assignment: A Glass Statue
    • Test: Stained Glass
    Cloth
    • Information: Cloth Shading
    • Basic Assignment: The Curtain
    • Tutorial: Basic Cloth
    • Advanced Assignment: The Cape
    • Test: Pinned Cloth
    ~

Chapter 2: Scenery
    Trees
    • Information: The Root of All Trees
    • Basic Assignment: The Tree
    • Tutorial #1: Basic Leaf Trees
    • Tutorial #2: Palm Trees
    • Tutorial #3: Pine Trees
    • Test: Fantasy Tree
    House Exterior
    • Information: Houses and Sheds
    • Tutorial #1: Walls
    • Tutorial #2: Roofs
    • Tutorial #3: Conjunctions
    • Tutorial #4: Windows and Decorations
    ~

Chapter 1: Materials

1. The Basics
    part1_01.png
    part1_02.png

Stemixing is a quick and easy way to make graphics in a short time.

How is this possible? Well, it is a very loose style. You can't tell exactly where each pixel goes. That's why it takes a lot less time. Instead of putting down one pixel at a time, you will be making whole sweeps of pixels until you get the result that you want. In all this, the brush (shortcut: B), eraser (shortcut: E) and smudger (shortcut: R) will be your friends. I suggest using the shortcuts early on. It might seem awkward to have to look back on your keyboard each time to press a shortcut button when you can just click with it on the mouse, but believe me, it really helps in the long run. After you get the hang of it you can just blindly hit the button and start drawing. As you'll switch between tools often, it will save you a lot of time and trouble.

I will be assuming that you know the basics of Photoshop (opening a new image file, how layers work, etc.). If you don't, I suggest reading this short but to-the-point tutorial on using the program. But then, why did you buy Photoshop without ever having used it? Open up a new file now. Let's start with the standard configuration for your working tools. You can change them as you wish, but I suggest sticking with the ones I recommand until you've got the hang of the style.

Note: A px is a pixel.

Brush Tool for outlines:
    Brush: Master Diameter: 1 px
    Brush: Hardness: 100%
    Mode: Normal
    Opacity: 100% (We'll dim this later, but not now)
    Flow: 100%

Brush Tool for stone scatter 2:
    Brush: Rough Round Bristle (should be around the bottom of the standard brush list)
    Brush: Master Diameter: 100 px
    Brush: Hardness: -
    Mode: Dissolve
    Opacity: 100% (We'll dim this later, but not now)
    Flow: 2%

Smudge Tool:
    Brush: Master Diameter: 10 px (Honestly, this depends completely on what you're drawing, but 10 px is my standard)
    Brush: Hardness: 0%
    Mode: Normal
    Strength: 60%
    Sample All Layers: Off
    Finger Painting: Off

Eraser Tool:
    Brush: Master Diameter: 10 px
    Brush: Hardness: 100%
    Mode: Brush
    Opacity: 100%
    Flow: 100%
    Erase to History: Off

Got all that? Then there's one more thing that hasn't really got anything to do with the style, but that I will use throughout the academy: mc, sc and hc. Mc: Main Color, sc: Shadow Color, hc: Highlight Color. These three colors are the main colors that you pick to use for your main/shadow/highlight color. However, because you use the smudge tool, the colors will fade into many other ones. Thus, it is necessary to keep a small palette somewhere in the image on a seperate layer with all mc's, sc's and hc's. You can also make a text file or something and paste the hexes of the colors into it. Whatever you like. I personally prefer to make a palette in the image itself so I can visibly see them.

A few words on the brush tool: it usually places several pixels, even when the size of the brush is 1 px. This is become, well, it's a brush. To control this, you need to see how the pixel grid works. For example, if you draw a line with the brush one half onto a pixel and the other half on the pixel next to it, you'll make a blurry line. However, if you draw the line on one pixel line only, you'll get a nice (probably very dark) line. By mastering this, you can use this trick to your advantage in making spiffy lines. The same goes for drawing a line with the Line Tool with Anti-alias turned on (more on that later).
    Draw a 1mc 1sc 1hc ball.

What? Go, get it done!

You don't know how to? Well, that's too bad.

In all seriousness, I want you to use what I've taught to you before and use it as you see fit. If you make something completely wrong, it doesn't matter. I want you to think about the style. See if the method you use to make the ball matches the one that we'll be using throughout the academy. You can't learn to fully respect a skill until you've tried it yourself.

Stop reading here.

I mean it, don't read on until you've made the ball.

...What did I tell you?
    So, you've (tried) making the ball (hopefully) without reading the explanation I will be giving here. Now I will give you an explanation of how you're supposed to make it.

Do you remember me saying "1mc 1sc 1hc"? That means that you use three colors only: 1 for the main color, 1 for the shadow and 1 for the highlight. A great way of making shadows and highlights is to use the layer style Multiply and Screen. However, these only work on soft colors. That works for me, as I like to use soft colors in my games, but it might not for you. So I will explain here how to replace the Multiply and Screen effect with a custom shadow/highlight color. In fact, I'll guide you through the whole process of making the ball.

First, open up a new file. I make the file 100 by 100 px. Zoom in. Make a new layer and call it 'Outline'. Select it. Keep the white background, as it makes it easier to see the lines. Now, unless you are a robot with a guided hand, you can't make a perfect circle. But we do want a ball. And balls are round. So hit M for the Marquee Tool. It's probably on the standard rectangular form, so click and hold on the tool icon and select the Elliptical Marquee Tool.

tut001.png

Now hold shift, click and hold (with the left mouse button, of course) somewhere in the top-left of the image. Now drag to the bottom-right and release the mouse button and then shift. You can see that holding shift while doing this creates a perfect circle, but releasing the button too early messes it up again. So keep holding shift until you release the mouse button first. Right click on the circle and select Stroke. Set stroke width: 1 px, color: #000000, location: center, mode: normal, opacity: 100%, preserve transparency: off. OK. Now you have a perfect circle that uses the kind-of 'blurry' Stemix style.

Make a new layer below the Outline one and call it Main Color. Select red (#ff0000) as color. Select the Magic Wand Tool with shortcut: W. Settings of the tool: the 'new selection' (most left one) square, tolerance: 1, anti-alias: on, contiguous: on, sample all layers: off. Now select the Outline layer and click on the outside. Right-click on the selection and hit Select Inverse. Select the Main Color layer again. Hit B for Brush Tool and set its size to 10. You can do this pretty fast by right clicking anywhere and setting the Master Diameter to 10 px. I suggest using the brush instead of the Paint Bucket Tool to fill the circle, as in the future you will have to use the brush or you'll miss spots. Fill the circle up now. I always do it like I'm scrubbing a window. From left to the right, a little bit lower, from the right to the left, a little bit lower and repeat. Now deselect (just hit M and click somewhere outside of the selection area).

tut002.png

tut004.png

Now you've got a red circle. Oh joyous day!

tut003.png

Let's give it some shadow. Make a new layer above Main Color and below Outline. Name it Main Shadow. Set the brush to 8 px. Set the layer style to Multiply. Draw over the circle. See a difference in color? I won't go into details, but that's because the color is too 'bright'. If you had selected a softer red, it would have worked. But it doesn't, so instead, we select our own shadow color. Set the layer style back to normal and select a color that is darker than the mc. This will be the sc. I used #a90000. Now, you should see a ball as an eye that is facing the sun (let's say that the sun is at the top-left). The white is shadow and the pupil the highlight. Because the white is all around the pupil and iris, you will also see shadow on the top-left of the ball. The iris is the part that flows from hc into mc into sc. Let's color the white of the eye first.

Stop!

Don't just start drawing. We're going to use the Stemix style here. Instead of just drawing a shadow, set a few dots with the brush along the bottom-right of the ball. It doesn't matter at all if you go outside of the outline. We're erasing everything outside later anyway. As you go more towards the top-left, start dotting more outside of the circle, so the dark-red on the ball is less. Also start dotting less often. Add a few additional dots in the bottom-right above the first layer. Here's what I mean:

tut005.png

What the hell, TM! It looks like crap! (- Stevo)

Yes, it does. But that will change soon. Hit R for Smudge Tool and put the size to 12 px. Now comes the hardest but most fun part. Start at the top-left. Use click and drag to smudge the colors. Smudge it along the edge, following the side of the circle. What you want is nice round shadow. Stop every now and then and smudge some more here and there where you aren't satisfied with how it looks. Don't start smudging to the center yet. First just make a nice round shadow. Once you get to the bottom-right, you have to smudge towards the bottom-right to get the darkest shadow there. Upon hitting the second layer (at the bottom right) of dots, you need to just scrub the smudge tool into random directions like a little circle to slowly mix the dots into one nice shadow. If you notice that you have a lighter edge around the shadow, smudge towards the outside to erase it (with doing this I suggest setting the smudge tool size to something smaller, such as 5 px). If you see fit, you may add another dot, but I don't suggest doing so unless absolutely necessary.

tut006.png

Now what we're going to do is soften the shadow more to the pupil part (in other words, creating the iris). First smudge just a small border of the shadow onto the iris. Then make small and quick circles with the smudger to soften it into the red. Make sure to keep the shadow at the top-left thinner. If the shadow at the bottom-right has become too light compared to the top-left, add some more dots with the brush tool and smudge those in. In fact, I suggest always doing this to make a darker shadow there. If the top-left is too light, smudge from the pupil onto the eye white and then soften it to make it lighter. First thinner, then softer and its lighter. Note that the point of this style is to do things loosely. It's good if the shadow is messy and not perfectly round. It's actually bad if it is perfectly round and not messy, because then it doesn't match the Stemix style anymore. You need to find the right balance between messy and clean. It's OK if at some parts the shadow is darker than others (like little strokes), unless, of course, you don't want it to be that way. Once you're done it should look something like this:

tut007.png

Now on to the highlight. I suggest placing the highlight over the shadow, so make a new layer called Main Highlight below Outline but above Main Shadow. Select the mc and put the layer style to Screen. Draw onto the red. Notice how it doesn't light up? The same as with the sc, it's because the mc is too bright. Set the layer style back to normal. Select the mc and make it lighter to get the hc. I used #ff6666. Put the brush to 8 px and set a dot on the pupil. One dot. Now take the smudger and only smudge a 1-3 px border of the dot onto the outside. Keep doing this until you got a nice highlight. Now soften it up. You'll notice that it looks like you're changing the shape of the shadow too. This is because the highlight is over the shadow. After you got the highlight nice small, round and soft, get back to the shadow. You're probably going to need to make it smaller and softer to make a better fade-over from eye white to pupil.

tut009.png

After you're satisfied, hit W. Select Outline and click outside of the circle. Now go over all layers and hit delete, thus deleting the colors outside of the ball. Then select the Outline and set its opacity to 50%.

Notice how it looks kind of between 2D, 3D and a waterpainting? Welcome to the Stemix style.

'Cause: congratulations! You just finished your first ball!

tut008.png
    Let's put your new knowledge to the test. I want you to make a ball just like explained in the tutorial above, but with a soft color (such as #1AD974). Now instead of making sc and hc yourself, I want you to use the Multiply and Screen layer settings. Then by coloring with the mc, it will automatically become a different shade. This is a great way for getting a basic shadow or highlight color down, but only works with soft colors. On this assignment, I suggest that you experiment a bit. Make a smaller ball, or a larger one. Move the highlight to the top-right and see if you can still do it. Becoming good at the Stemix style isn't that hard but does require some practice and knowing the tricks of the trade. I won't post an example for this assignment, as it's just to get you to practice making shadows and working with different styles.
    In this test, we're going to apply what we've learned in this part of the academy to a variation: not a ball, but a cube. It's going to be a 3D cube that is seen from such an angle that you see the a left and right side and the top one. I want you to color and shade it using the technique you've applied on the ball. Note that the shadows and highlight on a cube don't use the eye-method, so think before you draw.

The cube should look something like this:

tut010.png

Don't forget to use the Line Tool (it can be selected at the Rectangle Tool; shortcut: U). If you hold shift while drawing a line, it will be either perfectly horizontal, vertical or diagonal. This also works for manual brushing, but only with vertical and horizontal lines. But when you use the line tool, don't forget to switch Anti-Alias on, the Opacity to 100%, mode to Normal and weight to 1 px. Anti-alias is necessary to create the Stemix effect. I suggest using the brush tool for horizontal and vertical lines, and the line tool just for diagonal ones. However, to make a perfect cube, the lines all have to be the same length. To achieve this, first draw the diagonal lines. You can just draw one diagonal line, then copy it 3 times and just rotate it by 90 degrees each time (just select it, right-click, select Free Transform, richt-click and hit rotate 90 degrees). This is probably the safest way to get a perfect diamond. Then select and copy one onto a new layer. Activate Free Transform and select Rotate. At the top, next to the degree icon, type 45.

tut011.png

Or -45, depending on which way you want the line to rotate to get a straight vertical line. Now paste this line onto the diamond to make a cube. Usually after a rotation, the line is completely messed up and blurred. So just draw a new one next to it (with the same length, of course) and delete the rotated one.

Also note that RMXP uses a birds-eye view. So the cube should not have these perfect diamonds. First you should make two perfect diamond shapes over eachother. Lower one of the diamonds down and then draw lines between the two so it becomes a cube. Now select it, right-click, select Free Transform and drag the arrow at the top down to make a 'squashed' effect. I personally prefer to just type in 75% at the top next to the H for height. This is the right perspective for RMXP. You can see what I mean in the example image above.

tut012.png

A random trick to center the outline (or whatever): cut and paste it. When you paste something without having a selection, it automatically centers itself both horizontally and vertically.

Once the cube is finished it should look something like this:

tut013.png

Note: I used Multiply and Screen for this cube. I was able to do this, because I used a soft color, as you learned in the Advanced Assignment.

Note 2: Resize the brush tools as you see fit. When I drew the circle for the tutorial, I used brush size 8 px to dot. For the cube, I used 6 px, because the cube is smaller.

If it doesn't look the same: good! With this style, nothing should look the same. If you are unsure wether you did it right, you can PM it to me and will receive a PM back with feedback.

2. Wood
    part2_01.png
    part2_02.png
    part2_03.png

In this part of the tutorial we're going to get a little more practical and start working on wood. At the end of this part you will be able to draw your own furniture and other things.

Let's start with smooth wood. To make something look like wood, you smudge the shadow dots as lines across the wood, instead of 'softening' it into a nice fading shadow. You place some dots at the part where the shadow is and smudge them into the direction of the wood. Then you slightly smudge the shadow side into eachother so you do get a nice shadow, but it kind of goes into wood as strokes. Another technique used to make it obvious that something is wood is drawing colored lines onto the wood itself on a seperate layer. Then use the smudge tool to soften the line. By drawing these lines, you could also draw one of those wood circles.

Then after drawing your wooden object, you need to add a shadow. Just make a layer beneath all others. Use the Brush Tool to draw the shadow. Set the brush size to something small and draw the outline of the shadow (don't forget that you can draw straight lines by holding the Shift button -- but you have to also let go out of the Shift button after drawing 1 straight line or when you start drawing again it'll draw a straight line from the last point to the new one). After getting the shadow outline done, fill it up with the brush tool. Make sure that it isn't transparent anywhere. Do this in black and then set the opacity to 40%.

There's a third technique that I want to explain to you in this part. It gives the wood a nice rough texture. I'll explain that in the Advanced Assignment, so it doesn't get too complicated too soon.
    Draw a 1mc 1sc 1hc rectangular table with a shadow and four legs and see what you come up with. Don't forget to try to apply the techniques I've explained (but not yet shown) above. You should stick to 1mc. Let's get the basics down first and focus on decorations and what not later.

Don't forget to download this tileset template. Yea, it's too wide for RMXP, but I prefer drawing in a large image and then moving it  I suggest drawing there from now on.
    For this academy, I will make most of my examples according to the size of this charset (originally drawn by K-Sama and redrawn by me -- please don't use without permission). However, you can do whatever size you want. I just suggest picking a charset (RTP, HK, Geredreth Advanced, mine, etc.) and going with that size for the rest of the academy. Then at the end of the academy you will have made a lot of resources and you might be motivated to try out some new things and make your very own tilesets!
    Did you get something nice out of the previous assignment? I'll go over it here, explaining each new step (for the basics of Stemixing see part 1). I'm going to assume that you already know the basics of perspective, furniture and RMXP. I won't go into details here, nor will I give you an extensive lists of links explaining those aspects of RPG Maker XP. I suggest going to Google and searching for some tutorials.

Now on with the furniture. I'll draw the table from the basic assignment.

First get the outline down.

tut014.png

tut015.png

Notice how I placed the charset in the tileset for comparison.

And yes, I am lazy and write the layers as sc, mc, hc, etc. instead of the full phrases.

Now color it. Get a soft brown color. I'll be using Multiply and Screen for the sc and hc. Then place dots for the shadow. Son't forget that you're dealing with a 3D object here. Because the light comes from above (top-left), there will be a lot of shadow on the visible flat side of the table. There is also a small shadow on the top of the table legs. If you don't understand what I mean, just look at where I placed dots on the picture below.

tut016.png

It is important that you didn't put two rows of dots on the right side of the table, as we'll be working on wood strokes. First, smudge the shadow on the side of the main table shelf (yea, I suck at English and don't know the proper word for it -- sorry). A nice tip: holding shift while using the smudge tool works just like with the brush tool. It allows you to make nice straight smudges, which is perfect for that part of the table. Now decrease the size of the smudge tool to the size of the dots. Now smudge only a small part of the left side of the dots on the main table shelf to the left. Keep smudging them a bit to the left, to get a nice striped shadow. Have fun with this process. Add a little bit of variation. Make the stripes a bit twirly, then straight and then curly a bit again. Do whatever you like that you think looks good. Then add a few more dots to the right and make it a normal shadow (don't forget to increase size of the smudge tool again when you do this). Now soften it all up and it should look like the image below.

tut017.png

Now add some highlights. Only slightly. Use the same wood stroke method as before. Don't add a highlight to the table legs and side though -- they're too thin.

tut018.png

Yay, we've got a basic table! But it's not quite done yet. Remember when I talked about those stripes that would make it more like wood? We're coming to that now. Make a new layer above Main Color but below Shadow Color and call it Stripes. Set the brush tool to 1 px and the color to a brown that is a bit darker than the mc. Now draw some nice stripes across the table (and legs or side if you want so, too). It doesn't matter if you color outside of the outline, because you're all erasing those pixels outside of the outline later anyway. Got the stripes done? Good. Now open the smudge tool (all by using shortcuts of course, and in this case, R) and fade the beginning and end of the line out so it looks nice and soft, but the line itself must remain pretty hard. If the line is too hard, you can soften it up. When you're done, select the area outside of the outline using the wand tool (anti-alias and contiguous on, of course) and hit delete on the other layers (excluding mc, because you don't want the main color to go away -- as using this method also slightly erases the color directly on the inside).

tut019.png

If you're not satisfied with the visibility of the stripes, darken them a bit.

Now let's add shadow. Make a new layer below Main Color and name it Shadow. Open up the brush tool with a black color and set the brush size a bit small. Now, using the shift key method to draw straight lines, make a nice shadow. The shadow shouldn't be directly below the table, because the light doesn't come directly from above but from the top-left. Draw the shadow a bit to the right of the table. Then set the transparency of the shadow to 40%.

tut020.png

Notice how I had to move the table around a bit so the shadow would fit. Also, here's a piece of advice: don't move the shadow too much to the right. Only slightly. Otherwise you'll get into trouble later with shadows overlapping into the next tile. And you wouldn't want to have to add a whole 32x32 tile to your game just for a 2 pixel shadow. Don't forget to dim the outline to opacity 50%.

tut021.png

Now compare it to the one you (hopefully) made in the previous assignment. Is it the same? If not, what did you do differently?
    But what if you want to draw a piece of wood that is rough and not polished? That's what you'll be doing in this assignment. I want you to make a table like in the Basic Assignment, but with some differences. I want the table to be made out of rough wood and have a circular shape. Doing the circular shape is easy. Just use the method we used to draw the ball from the previous part, except that instead of holding shift to make a perfect circle, make an oval shape (horizontally oval, so it's horizontally wide but vertically small -- or the normal perspective is wrong as we're drawing a circular table and not an oval table). Then do everything as I showed in the tutorial. But then after you're done, make a new layer called "Scatter" above the Stripes layer but below Shadow Color. Open up the brush tool (shortcut: B). Set it to a large size in which almost the whole main table shelf fits. Now set the mode to Dissolve. Set the flow to 2%. Select mc and make it darker. Now click several times on the table at different locations to place stray pixels everywhere. Don't click too much -- you don't want too many pixels. You can repeat this process in different colors, including highlights, to make an even more rough effect. I suggest doing at least one with a ligher color than mc.

Now select the smudge tool. Set it to such a size that all the stray pixels fit in it. Now smudge the stray pixels only 1 pixel to the right (or left) so they slightly fade out with the direction of the wood. Now delete the pixels outside of the outline using the same method as before.

tut022.png
    We'll be taking all that we've learned in this part and put it into one assignment: drawing closets. I want you to draw a closed closet made out of rough wood and with a shadow on the ground. But that's not all. I want to use two colors in this closet. How do we do that? Well, you place the second color on the same layer as everything else. If you find conflicting trouble, temporarily draw the new color's shadow/highlight/whatever on a new layer and once it's done paste it onto the main one so you don't make a mess. It's not that hard. I suggest using a nice golden yellow color for adding decorations to your closet. Decorate it as you see fit.

Make sure that if you do mass-acts (like using the wand to select everything outside of the outline and then hitting delete) also affects the other objects on that same layer. So I suggest using the brush tool and eraser instead of paint bucket and pressing delete.

Don't forget to erase the stray pixels from parts that aren't wood (like the decorations).

Below is an image of the closet I came up with.

tut023.png

Note that I made it nicely symmetrical by copying one side, flipping it horizontally and pasting it on the other side.

And here's a nice bench that I made for shits 'n giggles. I've set the outline opacity to 60%.

tut024.png

A few more wooden objects: boxes. If you're having trouble making your own, take a look at the ones below (with 100% outline opacity so it's easier for you to see where the lines go).

tut025.png

3. Stone
    part3_01.png
    part3_02.png
    part3_03.png

From now on I will be setting the outline opacity to 65% because I feel that it fits the charset I'm using more and it just generally looks better. You can use whatever you wish. If you want to go with a bloom-fantasy effect decrease opacity. If you want a comic feeling increase it. For a realistic feeling, I suggest doing it around 65%.

Now let's get on with the tutorial. We'll talk about stone. It's actually quite easy. It's the same as what we've done before, except with a little texture twist and information on shading. Stone has a very rough. We'll be working more with the 'scatter' method we used for the wood the previous part, as well as making the shading a little more pixelated by using a Photoshop filter. This should be fun!

Let's start with the first new method: the advanced scatter method. The first part of this scattering is the same as with the wood but with a higher contrast. Lighter light colors and darker dark colors. Now we're going to set the brush tool up for something new. The settings for the brush for this can be found at the top of the post too under the name "stone scatter 2". Make a new layer called "Stone Scatter 2" above Scatter. With this new brush, I want you to quickly go from the left to the right and back again while going over the stone object so you get kind of a hail storm of little pixels. The color has to be darker than the mc, of course. Use the smudge tool to smudge it into a direction for 1 pixel again. Then set the opacity to 50-60%. This gives the stone a nice rough look.

The second technique for stone is making the highlight and shadow more pixelated and rough. Before we do that, I'd like to say that stone has these hard edges and cuts all over (if you're making a natural rock, for example). To make this effect, take the eraser and put its hardness to 75%. Then erase the fadeout of a shadow or highlight. This makes it look like where you erased it there is like this little cut, as if the rock sticks out there. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Afterwards you might want to soften it up just a little bit.

tut026.png

Now to make the shading more pixelated. Select the shadow or highlight. Go to Filters, Sharpen and hit Sharpen. It should now look a little more rocky.
    Let's put to the test what you've just learned. I want you to make a basic rock with the outline 65%, 1 mc, 1 sc and 1 hc. Use the methods to cut off the shadow to make it look like there are these rock things sticking out and to make the shadow more hard and pixelated. Also use the new pixel scatter method, stone scatter 2.
    Okay, I'll be making a basic rock for the tutorial.

First draw the outline. I personally like to make a new layer above the outline and draw the outline of where there are cuts in the rock. Then I use that to guide the shading and delete it afterwards. I suggest you do the same. I'll leave it visible for the screenshots of the progress. I suggest using the direct-line drawing technique for stone, so it looks less flubby and more rocky. Just hit somewhere with the brush, press and hold shift and click somewhere else. You'll draw a straight line to that point.

Give the rock an mc, sc and hc (but don't cut nor pixelate it yet).

tut027.png

Now take the erase tool. Set the hardness to 75%. Erase the shadow / highlight on the other side of the cuts, to make it look 3d. Then use the Sharpen filter.

tut028.png

Now it's time for the scatter and stone scatter 2. Put the Stone Scatter 2 layer above the Scatter layer but below Shadow Color. Let's start with the scatter itself. Take the brush tool and set it to a size large enough for the entire rock. Put flow to 2% and mode to dissolve. Take a color a bit darker than mc and hit twice on the rock. Now set the color a bit more darker and hit once on the rock. Do the same for another darker color. Now set the color a bit lighter than mc and hit twice. Set the color more light and hit it once. Then switch to the Stone Scatter 2 layer. Go to the specific brush I mentioned earlier and apply the settings. Use the window-cleaning method to draw a nice haze of pixels over the rock. Set the opacity to 60%. Use the smudge tool to smudge the Scatter and Stone Scatter 2 one pixel into a direction. Don't forget to delete all pixels outside of the outline (including the hc and sc, of course).

If the stone has turned out too dark, select the whole stone without selecting anything else. Go over each layer except outline, going to Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast and adjusting the brightness or contrast for each layer (again, except the outline). I prefer brightness only, but sometimes contrast helps too. Once you're satisfied with your rock, you're done!

tut029.png

As you can see I changed the outline a bit, because I wasn't really satisfied with it.
    I want you to make a nice, simple rock made out of cracked stone. Making cracks in stone is actually quite easy. It's like making stripes for wood, but instead of making them go along as the wood goes, the cracks go wherever they want to and split into multiple branches at some points. You can make quite some nice effects using cracks. It's a great way to show that something is old.

tut030.png

Random tip: Pressing X switches the primary and secondary color that you are using. I usually have the mc as primary color and the outline as secondary color, so I can quickly switch between them until I have the shape that I desire.
    For the test you're going to make an old statue. This can be a statue of anything, as long as it isn't too simple and you put some thought to it. It has to be made out of rough stone and be cracked. But first, let's compare the two rocks I made this part.

tut031.png

As you can see, the left one looks more like a rock, while the right one more like a clay-stone blob. This is for several reasons. Firstly, for the left rock I placed less pixels on the Stone Scatter 2 layer and made them darker so instead of getting a full blur, you only get a nice rocky haze. Secondly, for the left rock I used the straight-line-drawing technique, while for the right one I just drew curved lines. Thirdly, the left rock has a simpler shadow. It just has some highlights here and there, and a main shadow going from the bottom-right to the top-left. The right rock, on the other hand, has shadows and highlights all over the place, which gives it a fudgy idea. You can do this and still make it look a lot like a rock, though. But you need to make straight shadows. When drawing rocks, it's all about making sharp edges, rough textures and straight lines. Unless, ofcourse, the rock material you're drawing is fudgy. But I prefer my stone hard.

Now on with the test and something that isn't a natural rock: a statue! Do you think you're up for it? I'm sure you are. I know I am.

Below is what I came up with.

tut032.png

I decided not to smudge the Scatter layer, because it looks better now. You can do whatever you want!

Below are some more rocks.

tut033.png

4. Metal
    part4_01.png
    part4_02.png
    part4_03.png

Now we shall focus less on texture techniques and more on shading methods. The next material we're going to work with is (you guessed it): metal. Metal is awfully annoying to shade properly. So I just say, the heck with it, and take the easy way out. There are still some nasty things you have to take into consideration when shading metal though. Below is an image of a metal ball shaded by Tana. It's a perfect example of how metal should be shaded.

tut034.png

1. Metal never ends with with a dark color at the outlines. At the highlight part, you give it a mc color around the outline. At the shadowed part, you give it a mc color around the outline as well, but at the bottom-right you give it a slight hc because of the reflection.

2. Metal has a higher contrast than stone and wood. The hc and sc should be more contrasted than just Multiply and Screen. You will have to pick your own colors. I personally prefer to still work with Multiply and Screen, but just change the color used for those layers to make it darker/lighter. E.g. if I'm drawing a metal ball and want to work on the highlights, I pick a hc that is only slightly lighter than the mc, because the Screen layer style will make it a lot lighter already.

3. Fall-off. Metal has a quick fall-off. That means that the transition between hc and mc, and mc and sc is very short. You can achieve this by choosing a smaller brush size with the smudge tool for smudging the edges, and placing a lot more dots so its easier to make the shadow.

4. Metal reflects. Other than the regular lighter shade at the top-left, it also has a little highlighted dot which represents the light source, and in most exterior cases, the sun. As this is RMXP I wouldn't worry too much about where the light is coming from and just place the dot. And this is for balls only. These funny highlights takes the shape of the object. So if you'd have like this tube, the highlight 'dot' would stretch all the way out over the tube. If it's a square, it stretches out along the square. It's quite easy, actually. Just keep the clarity, sharpness and small brush size the same.

This all goes for shiny metal. There are a lot of different kinds of metal. There's dusty metal, dull metal and rough metal. Dull metal has no highlight 'dot' (as I like to refer to the special highlights which reflects the light source). Dusty and dull metal have a longer fall-off (longer transition from hc to mc and mc to sc. Rough metal has the Scatter layer. Just be original and make whatever you like. Note that generally all metal has a very small highlighted border around the outline, though. This makes it look 3D and round.
    Let's put all that new knowlegde to good use! I want you to draw a simple metal ball, like the one drawn by Tana that I showed. It's shiny metal. Just use 1 mc, 1 hc and 1 sc. I want you to pay close attention to the shading details. Decrease all brush size if you want to. It's critical that you get the basics done properly.
    And now, of course, I will show you step-by-step how to make the shiny metal ball. First, draw the outline and give it an mc. Then give it a sc. Remember to keep the transition short. If the transition is too soft, a good technique to use is to push the sc back. Drag the part where there is nothing onto the shadow. This gives it a sharper line. Don't forget to decrease the smudge brush size and smudge a little stroke that keeps getting thinner from a little bit left of the middle to the top-right, forming a strange half-moon shape. Erase a the border at the outline for later. See the image below for what I mean.

tut035.png

Now let's get the basic highlight down. This works the same as with the sc, but with a light color instead. Don't forget to make it lighter than the normal color you get from taking the mc and giving the layer a Screen style. Also, keep the highlight sharp. It might look funny now, but if you keep it sharp it will all turn out great in the end. Now you need to make a new layer. Call it Metal Dot and place it above the Highlight Color. Set the layer style to Screen and choose a color lighter than hc. Now draw like a very small oval shape. Smudge the borders a bit. Now make a small circle shape above it. This only goes for simple balls, though. Now smudge the borders more, so it becomes soft. Once you're satisfied, take the brush tool and set it to a very light color. Preferably pure white. Now draw the actual light source reflection. It has to be sharp and to the point. Now give the outline a highlighted border. At the part of the hc itself, take the eraser tool and erase the hc at and 1-2 pixels around the outline. At the mc and sc, go to the Highlight Color layer, select the hc and draw a 1-2 pixel border inside and sticking to the outline. We don't want the hc at the bottom-right to go over the outline, because then it looks just weird. So after giving the outline a hc border, use the Magic Wand to select the inside and outside of the outline. Right-click on the selection and hit Select Inverse. Now go to the hc layer and erase the hc on the outline.

tut036.png

Next, we're going to make another new layer (yes, drawing metal sucks -- stick to dull metal so you don't have to worry about all this stuff). Call it Metal Shade. Place the layer above Shadow Color but below Highlight Color. Put the layer style to Multiply and the color mc. Now make a shadow next to the sc that goes like a half-moon. It's thick in the middle and then slowly becomes smaller as it curves to the top. The color has to be between the mc and sc, but a bit more towards the mc. This is to fill up the mc so your ball doesn't look like a button of the sorts. Another way of doing the Metal Shade is by picking a color lighter than the mc and then just drawing the shadow without using the smudge tool to make it lighter. This may be easier.

tut037.png

Looks amazingly beautiful, doesn't it? ...If it turned out right, anyway. I doubt it did for you on the first try. Just compare your ball to mine (sounds wrong) until you notice a difference and then work on that. I do have to warn you that I'm not that good with metal, because I haven't drawn a lot of it.

tut038.png
    Confused yet? Good! Let's make it even more confusing. I want you to draw a piece of shiny metal. I want you to draw a pipe. Go through each step as we did in the tutorial and it will work out. Don't make it a straight pipe though. Give it a curve, like it's a bent pipe.

Below is what I came up with.

tut039.png

Shiny.
    Oooh, time for the test. We're going to delve into machinery, as I want you to draw a machine made out of shiny metal only. You can throw in some other materials if you want to, but the most has to be shiny metal. It needs to consist of atleast four seperate parts. These seperate parts can be just metal plates that are on the object itself or, say, arms and legs. Make sure to check where the shadow falls on the object itself. If there is a part between the sun and an other part, there won't be a highlight 'dot' on this other part. Instead, there would be a shadow from the part blocking the sun.

You can see what I made below.

tut040.png

Phew, that was the metal part. Did you get through it alive? If you did, you will most likely die in the next part, which will focus on: glass! Almost as annoying as metal, but quite pretty if pulled off correctly.

5. Glass
    part5_01.png
    part5_02.png
    part5_03.png

Glass! Aha! It's a lot more complicated than drawing a gray box and setting opacity to 50%. In fact, we're not going to fiddle around with opacities until the object itself is finished. Because changing the opacity of a layer changes it for the whole layer, I suggest drawing the glass object, merging the layers and then copying it. Then make a seperate layer for the glass objects and set the opacity to whatever you like. To merge the layers, just turn off all layers that you don't want merged (including background colors) and click on Layers > Merge Visible, or just hit Shift + Control + E.

Below is an image (drawn by Tana again) of a glass ball.

tut041.png

Drawing glass is a lot like drawing metal, which is why I will be naming the differences between the two, instead of between glass and, say, stone.

1. Glass has less contrast than metal.

2. The hc to mc fall-off is as quick as with metal, but the mc to sc fall-off is slower and spends more time in the mc. I suggest slightly softening the transition between mc and sc up.

3. The shape of the sc and hc are different. The hc becomes thinner as it goes further away from the light source point, but it doesn't go along the border. It wanders 1-2 pixels away from the outline before fading. The sc has a strange marble shape, as you can see in the image above. It kind of bends towards the outline, instead of becoming slowly thinner. This only goes for the bottom shadow, though. At the top, the shadow does follow the border and becomes thinner.

4. Glass has a thinner highlight around the outline. It's about 1 pixel -- barely visible.

5. Because glass is transparent, the light goes through the glass. This is why at the other side of the highlight, there is a second highlight. It is a bit darker than the actual highlight, though. Now, I have to warn you, light does go in a straight line from air to glass to air. Unless the beam of light goes straight to the center of the glass object, it changes its direction inside the glass. However, I feel it is unnecessary to let you study these laws of physics. Just place the second highlight somewhere at the bottom-right (the other side of the real highlight), and if it doesn't look good you can always move it.

Sounds complicated? Yea, well, it is! Fortunately, glass is transparent. So afterwards, you will be setting the opacity of the glass to something like XXXXX%, and it will be harder to spot any spriting mistakes, and the glass will automatically look like glass because you can see through it. So it's not all that bad.
    Yep, a ball. Again. But this time it's glass! And glass is fun! Draw a 1 hc, 1 mc, 1 sc glass ball just like you did with metal.
    Get the outline and mc down. Now for the sc, make the shadow the thickest at the bottom-right. Then make it become thinner and fade away as it goes upwards alongside the outline. On the bottom, however, have the shadow bend down and then fade. Soften the edges a bit. Now place a few (just a few) dots around the shadow. Smudge them into a color that is between the mc and sc, but more mc. Make sure you keep the sharp egde of the dark sc. Now smudge this light sc around the dark sc to the top and only a bit left of the bottom. Then smudge a soft stroke of light sc a bit to the right of the bottom-left outline upwards, forming half a moon with the light sc.

tut042.png

The next thing to do is the hc. Give it a nice light color. Take the brush tool, set it to a medium size and draw a line alongside the outline from the top to the left. Select the erase tool. Make it thinner as it goes away from the top-left. At the left, though, have it bend a little away from the outline. Select the smudge tool. Soften the center of the highlight up and smudge it only slightly towards the center. Make a highlighted border (of like 1 pixel) where the sc meets the outline.

tut043.png

Select the Metal Dot layer. Set the brush tool to a very light color (preferably pure white). Draw a small oval-shaped reflection of the light source in the part of the top-left highlight that you softened and smudged to the center, so it looks a bit like a glow. The white of the highlight dot has to be lighter than the glow around it, though, so it's still visible. Now place a small dot to the top-right of the highlight dot. Smudge this dot until it becomes nothing more than a soft and tiny highlight. Next up is the light that shines through the glass and hits the other side of the main highlight. Select the brush tool and draw a short but thick line at the bottom-right. Smudge it a bit alongside the outline and then soften it up.

tut044.png

The last thing to do is to shade the outline. Select the Magic Wand tool (shortcut: W) and set Contiguous off. Then select empty space on the Outside layer. Select Inverse. Make a new layer about the outline and call it Outline Highlight. Set it to opacity 30% and choose white as color. Now use the brush tool to highlight the top-left of the ball. You can use this method for other materials too. It generally makes everything look less cartoonish. I haven't been showing any objects with highlighted outlines before, but I'll do that from now on.

Now if you want you can change the opacity of the glass boll (that includes the outline, of course). I like to set the opacity of glass objects to 85%, though regular windows obviously have a lower opacity. Unless it's like a really dirty and thick window. You can set the opacity of the glass ball to something lower, but it makes it look a bit flat.

tut045.png

I placed grass in the background so you can see the effect of the opacity.
    Now I want you to make a statue like the one you made in the Stone part, but made out of glass and glass only. With glass it is also important to have nicely curved or straight lines. Ever seen some shiny, sparkling glass in the shape of a blob? No, not really. They do exist, of course. But unless it's part of your storyline or something, I suggest keeping it curved and straight, because the mind has this idea engraved that glass should be smooth. Making glass that isn't smooth would break this chain of thoughts and automatically trigger a 'hey, that's not glass!' reaction, and that's not what we want, now is it?

tut046.png
    http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut047.png[/img]
    Phew. So we've gone through metal and glass. Two of the hardest materials to draw. Now let's have some fun! We're going to draw Stained Glass as a test. I want you to use your imagination and draw a stained glass window. Not a statue, not a ball, not an object -- just a window. Don't forget to give it a border, though. Have some fun with it. Use colors! Do shade each piece of stained glass, as if each piece is thick and a bit curved. If you're going to draw stained glass for your game, I suggest just making it flat, but I want you to practice a bit more shading glass. Also, the outline for stained glass is not transparent. It's a metal.

Here's what I made:

tut048.png
    http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut049.png[/img]

For the colorless glass I made a new layer below Main Color named "Very Transparent Main Color", because I wanted the colorless glass to be more transparent. Because the object has glass and normal material combined you have to put the normal material on a seperate layer when placing it into a tileset. Then change the opacity of the glass and put the normal material over it. It's a bit of a hassle, but it looks great. When drawing the glass you can always draw the normal material on a seperate layer. I also left out the lightsource dot (from the layer 'Metal Dot') because it would have looked too busy and shiny, and I want the stained glass to be down to the point and just have this pretty classy feel to it. It's more of a feeling than anything else.

6. Clothhttp://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies4/SealToParadise/StemixTutorial/part6_01.png[/img] http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... rt6_02.png[/img] http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... rt6_03.png[/img]

Drum roll, please. Because we're not going to work on one of the simplest materials that is the hardest to shade. Why? Because of the way cloth falls and works. Look at your clothes now (..assuming you're wearing any). You will see many folds with their own shadows. I suggest, when you draw things for your own game, to keep cloth simple. Just a few folds, as long as it stays pretty and realistic. However, we want to learn how to draw that all first, so we're going to take the complicated road. Let's start with the basics of cloth shading first. It's pretty simple.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut050.png[/img]

Another image drawn by Tana to show the way cloth is shaded. You see that the mc to sc transition is nice and slow (finally we can just smudge and soften the shadows again!). The highlight is minimal and has a sharp drop-off. The contrast is also back to normal, so you can just choose mc and set the layer style to Multiply and Screen.

The way cloth is shaded is very difficult, though. The best way to study this is to look at a curtain hanging somewhere in your room. You see that the little folds cast shadows on itself and that each fold has a small highlight of its own.
Let's start simple then -- with a curtain. You can look at any curtain in your house, as long as the highlight comes from the top-left. Try to draw it. Pay close attention to the bottom of the curtain (you have to choose a curtain that doesn't fall onto the ground). See how the perspective on the folds work. The curtain you're drawing should just be straight at the top and hang down. Move on to the tutorial when you think you've finished your curtain.
Make an outline first. This can be the hardest part. Draw it straight at the top, left and right sides. At the top, put like a 2 pixel line divided equally over the line, to make it look like the clips that most curtains hang from.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut051.png[/img]

Now take the Marquee Tool (shortcut: M) and move the left and right side slightly outwards. But only slightly (2 pixels). Put the first pixel like halfway and the second at 3/4. Then fix up the bottom outline a bit by erasing and moving here and there to be stretched out to the new 4 pixels to fill. Now take the Marquee Tool (shortcut: M) and move the left and right side slightly outwards. But only slightly (2 pixels). Put the first pixel like halfway and the second at 3/4. Then fix up the bottom outline a bit by erasing and moving here and there to be stretched out to the new 4 pixels to fill. Change outline opacity down and make a temporary layer above it. Slowly but surely draw the left and right side over, otherwise it will look jagged. By actually drawing it with the brush tool it will look nice and soft. Then give it a nice warm mc. Warm colors are red, yellow and purple. For a more clear image see the color wheel at the top of this post.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut052.png[/img]

Next we do the sc. This is where it becomes hard. First shade the right side of the main folds from the bottom to approx 3/4 to the top. Don't smudge it past the middle of the folds. At the top you've placed the clips from which the curtain hangs. Between each clip there is a dark shade of a back fold that goes down for 1/4 of the curtain. Randomize these folds a bit. Have them fade into the shade of the main fold at some parts. Have them form a v somewhere. But make sure that it looks logical and nice. Zoom out every now and then to see how it looks.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut053.png[/img]

On to the hc. Now this is easier. Set the brush size to something small and then just draw lines where the highlights should be. Draw highlights at the left of each fold, so at the right there is mc and directly at the left sc. This gives it an effect of continuous folds, instead of loose parts. If you're not happy about the contrast between mc and sc, just select the curtain with the Marquee Tool (shortcut: M) on layer Shadow Color and use Image >

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut054.png[/img]

And you're done. Incredibly tough, isn't it? Just keep practicing, because it will become harder, ha.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut055.png[/img]
Time for the cape. Use the image of the naked man facing you with his butt to give him a cape. Now capes are actually harder than you may think. It's not this blanket that falls straight down with no folds. It hangs on both sides over the shoulders, so in the middle there will be some horizontal folds at which they overlap eachother a bit. Try it now. Get a peace of cloth, pick it up on both ends and then hold the ends closer to eachother. See the folds in the middle? See 'm? Now let's make 'm!

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut056.png[/img]

That is the guy you should use to draw the cape on. He has been enlarged by 200% and given a redraw so you can draw a larger cape. Just put him on a bottom layer with a low opacity while you draw over him.

Note that there are different ways of having a coat. It can be pinned to the front of both of your shoulders (like the cape I've drawn for below), but the two tips of the cape can also be bound together at the top of the chest. Making a cape for the latter is harder, because you will work with V shaped folds all over the cape. Hanging it just over the shoulders makes it work pretty much like a flat blanket. Just try it out with a towel or something. In the pixel academy, Tana had made an assignment on shading capes. This is her example image:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut057.png[/img]

I personally do not like this. It looks strange and isn't completely accurate (though you can't say how it is bound together at the front so it may be realistic). I've hung up cloths in several different ways to look like a cape and looked at myself wearing them in the mirror (gawd, capes are hot) and they either go flat with one big V shape or wrinkly with several V shapes. Of course, this is with my cape. If your cape is a lot wider and has to be folded together there will be more V shapes and it will actually start to look a bit like a curtain with the wave-shaped folds. For my cape I have the tips bound together at the top center of the guy's chest.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut058.png[/img]

It would have looked better if it was more wide at the bottom, but I don't mind.
You should do this assignment out of your head, instead of using reference material. You can look some things up but I highly recommand trying to do this one without actually copying the shading of a cloth hanging in front of you. Reason is because you will be drawing so many clothes, you simply can't draw them all over from real life. So you need to learn to make them up. Imagine them. I want you to imagine a piece of cloth pinned on the wall at two points (top-left and top-right). One of the points higher than the other. However, I want both sides to be longer than the point where it is pinned, so there is a fold coming over the cloth. There should also be more cloth between the pin-points than the length between the points. I mean something like this:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut059.png[/img]

Yea, it's as complicated as it sounds. You can get some sort of cloth and hold it whlie you draw the outline if you want. I just suggest not using it for the shading itself. Use logic. If the middle part of the cloth is longer than the length between the two pin-points, where does all the cloth go? It hands down and folds. What kind of folds? V folds. It's a bit like math, really.

I came up with this:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut060.png[/img]

Chapter 2: Scenery

1. Treeshttp://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies4/SealToParadise/StemixTutorialCH2/part7_01.png[/img] http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... rt7_02.png[/img] http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... rt7_03.png[/img] http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... rt7_04.png[/img]

Let's get one thing out of the way first. This is not the way to draw a tree:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut061.png[/img]

It looks like a bloody jig-saw puzzle. Always leave openings between parts of leaves so it looks like a whole. If you look at the leaf part that is directly to the left of where the tree branches you will see that it is behind the tree. That is not possible because of two reasons: 1) you see it from a bit of a birds-eye view (not completely, though) so you'd see the leaves first and then the log); 2) the upper part of that leaf part is in front of the log. Thirdly, the tree should be slightly rounder at the bottom for a better perspective. This is not necessary, though.

There are a few 'rules' when it comes to making realistic and pretty trees:

1. It should look realistic, unless it's a special tree that you made yourself. Trees don't have square or perfectly round shapes. They are usually oval or wide at the bottom and thin at the top. They can't be wide at the bottom and top and then be thin in the middle.

2. The outline for the leaves (not the log or branches) should be drawn by repeating small half moons the entire time. Make them small but not too small to be visible. If pulled off correctly it will look like leaves.

3. The tree trunk should be larger or smaller compared to the size of the leaf-part. If the leaf-part is huge, it would be only normal for the log to be thick. Smaller trees have smaller logs.

4. After drawing the outline, randomly place little lines using the leaf-draw-method (see rule 2 above) but don't draw any part isolated. They all have to be connected, or the tree will look like a puzzle falling apart.

5. Because of the half birds-eye view you're drawing them, they should be a bit round at the bottom. Otherwise it will look like you're seeing the tree from the front, which ruins the perspective.

To make the leaf-part look, well, leaf-ish, use the Scatter and Stone Scatter 2 method (see part 3: stone of chapter 1: materials). Keep the density of the Stone Scatter 2 layer down. If you make the pixels too dense it will look like this huge shadow instead of leaves. After you've done those two, make a new layer above Metal Dot (which is above Highlight Color) but below Outline. Name it Tree Scatter. Do the same as for the Scatter layer (scatter light and dark pixels around), but a lot less pixels. Perhaps one click for each part of the tree is enough. Because it's above the highlights and shadows, it will look clear and rough. It should just break up the smoothness of the shadows and highlights.
I want you to draw a tree of about 6-7 tiles high and 4-5 tiles wide. It has to be 2 mc, 2 sc, 2 hc because of the tree branches and log. However, I suggest not showing any branches at the leaf-part. Why? Because it will just look like a messy bush with random branches sticking out.
How'd it go? Well, I'll explain it step-by-step.

You do know how a tree works, right? Beneath all those leaves there is a logical shape of branches and the main tree trunk, by some people referred to as the tree skeleton. This is what we're going to draw first, so we have a basis for the tree and it will come out more realistic. It doesn't have to look good at all. This will only be used to determine how and where to draw groups of leaves.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut062.png[/img]

Now we draw the outline of the leaf-part. Instead of using the leaf-draw-method, we first draw larger half-moons. Make a nice tree shape around the branches. Don't leave any holes. Then make nice little groups of leaves inside the outline. Make sure it's a bit round at the bottom and thin at the top.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut063.png[/img]

Now make a new layer above the outline. Set the outline to a lower opacity. Go over the outline with smaller half-moons and thus using the leaf-draw-method. Because you are drawing over big half moons, you will automatically get a random and bumpy outline. After that, draw the tree trunk with some roots. Once you're satisfied, you can remove the layer with the tree skeleton. Give the tree leaves a nice, soft and fresh green color. Give the tree trunk a natural brown color.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut064.png[/img]

First let's shade the tree. Shade with small brush sizes to make it look more detailed. At some points use the eraser or smudge tool to make tiny changes like little gaps and holes where the light hits a leaf that sticks out of the group. Shade the groups of leaves like they are seperate. Give them their own shadow. The shadows naturally become less dark as it goes to the top-left. Erase some of the shadow at the top-left of the leaf groups at the bottom-right of the tree. Shade the tree trunk as normal.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut065.png[/img]

Do the same with the highlight. Make a general highlight that falls on the tree, and then a highlight for each group of leaves. Don't forget to decrease highlight strength as you go to the bottom-right. At some points add random strokes of highlight. Give the tree trunk highlights as normal.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut066.png[/img]

On to the Scatter layer. When scattering pixels with multiple mc's, you should use the wand tool (shortcut: W), set anti-alias and contiguous on and select the color, on the Main Color layer, that you want to shade or scatter. This way you won't hit the other mc. It wouldn't be a problem to hit the other mc if that mc hasn't been shaded/scattered yet, but otherwise the colors will go into eachother and mess up. Scatter pixels around (give it a higher contrast than for the Stone Scatter 2 layer) and then smudge it 1 pixel to the right. Don't forget to scatter on the tree trunk as well, but with brown colors, of course.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut067.png[/img]

Do the same for the Stone Scatter 2 layer. Don't make it too dense. Give the scattered pixels a lower contrast than for the Scatter layer. Smudge it 1 pixel to the top.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut068.png[/img]

Now for the new technique: Tree Scatter, the layer above Metal Dot but below Outline. Take two colors, a very light one and a very dark one (not too light/dark). Click once for each part of the tree. Make sure there aren't too many pixels. Don't smudge them. They will be the pixels that break the softness of the tree and make it a bit rougher, without it being annoying compared to the other graphics.

Then give it a shadow on the ground. Don't make it too big. It doesn't have to stretch out to the entire width of the tree, because sun can shine through the leaves and erase the most outer shadow. For basic tree shadows, I like to do the following: set the brush size to something medium to large. Draw a blob shadow (formless, almost oval-shaped) where you want the shadow to come. Select (with the Marquee Tool, shortcut: M) the right half of the shadow. Leave some space around the shadow inside the selection. Now go to Filters > Stylize and select Wind. Set method to Wind and Direction to From the Right. Hit OK. Now select the left side. Make sure you don't select a part of the shadow you selected before. Again, leave enough space around the shadow inside the selection. Select the Wind filter again. Set the method to Wind, but the Direction to From the Left this time. Hit OK. Now take the smudge tool and smudge the border of the shadow between both sides on which you just applied the Wind filter. Smudge away the border so it looks smooth and a whole. Then smudge the transparent pixels away from the center of the tree a bit (if there are any) so in the middle it's still a full shadow. Now you've created a tree-ish shadow. It's not very realistic, but I love the way it looks. It's better than the blob.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut069.png[/img]

And you're done!

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut070.png[/img]
Let's make a different type of trees: palm trees. They're a whole lot easier than leaf and pine trees. However, trees are generally hard if you don't know exactly how to make them. So instead of leaving you up to making it, I'll guide you through it with a tutorial. You still have to make a palm tree yourself after the tutorial, though.

Let's start with the tree skeleton. It's simple. It's like this long slightly curved log with big leaves coming from one point at the top. I'm just going to assume that you know how a palm tree looks. Make it around 6 tiles high.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut071.png[/img]

On to the outline. The palm log is thick at the bottom but slowly thins as it works its way to the top. It still stays pretty thick at the top, though. It also has some sort of stripes (they're not really stripes, but they look like that if you zoom out on the palm tree) from the bottom to the top of the log. Each stripe makes a full circle around the log and they almost have the same distance between each of them. Though the distance isn't really that important so you can just draw it by hand. If the distance somewhere is too small/large, just adjust it.

The leaves are thick in the middle and thin at the end and beginning. We'll draw the basic outline for the leaves first. Draw this on a seperate layer beneath the outline and set it to a low opacity. Because you've already drawn the middle-line for the leaves before, you know how long it should be. Draw a more accurate line over the one that you did before, because that was just a sketch. Make it curve down (because of the gravity, of course). Then draw the leaf-shape around it. The upper part of the leaf should be thinner than the bottom part, because of the perspective. Just look at the image below to get a better idea.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut072.png[/img]

Make a new layer above the outline and temporary leaf sketch. Finish the palm leaves. First, draw like these little point-shaped long leaves from the middle line to the outer one. Do this all across the line on both sides. They should turn and point a bit forward around the end of the leaf. Trace the middle line. Once you're happy with the leaves, delete the sketch and merge the leaf layer with the Outline layer. Make sure that the opacity of both layers is set to 100% before merging (which is done by clicking the top one and hitting Control + E) or one of the two layers will become transparent and you can't change it later.

Then it's time to apply the main color. First make the leaves green. Choose a soft but lush green color. The green color has to be bright, because the dense outline automatically makes it darker. Now the log. I can't really explain the color, so just see the image below. At the point where the leaves overlap the log, change the brush size to 1 px and manually color between the lines. Don't forget to erase the color outside of the outline, too. Because the leaves are do sense, you have to manually erase as well (set the erase tool to 1 or 2 px and erase between the leaves).

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut073.png[/img]

Add the Shadow Color. To seperate the two colors, select the Magic Wand tool (shortcut: W). Set anti-alias on, but contiguous off. Select the green color and add the shadow. Note that the leaves may cast shadows on themselves, if they overlap. Then select the brown color. Add some shadow on the right. Also add shadow beneath each stripe, because it casts a shadow on itself there. Once you're satisfied with the shadows, select them (by using the wand tool on the mc again) and make them darker. To do that, go to Image > Adjustments and select Brightness/Contrast. I generally make the sc darker by -25 brightness. It gives the image more depth.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut074.png[/img]

Give the tree trunk some minor highlights at the left. You can't really highlight them because it casts a shadow on itself at the stripes. Give the leaves some big highlights. Don't be shy on this part. The leaves need to look lush and fresh, which is achieved by giving it nice, soft and big highlights.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut075.png[/img]

Let's add a few stripes for texture on the log. You know how this works. Don't forget that the lines don't just go through the stripes though. Because the stripes are a bit wider than the rest of the log, the stripes will go a bit to the right or left when it hits a stripe.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut076.png[/img]

Now we will give the palm leaves a nice shiny touch. It's time to select a new brush type. Select the brush and click on the little arrow pointing down, next to the brush type. Now click on the arrow pointing right at the top-right of the newly opened window.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut077.png[/img]

Select Thick Heavy Brushes. Choose Append. Now scroll down and select the Round Bristle (set it to 150 px). Use the following settings: Mode: Dissolve, Opacity: 100%, Flow: 100%. Don't forget to set the brush size itself to 150 pixels, as I mentioned before.

Let's do the leaves first. Select a color that is a bit lighter than the hc. Select the green color only and scatter a bit around the leaves. Only a bit. Now do the same for the log, but with a brown color that is a bit brighter than the hc. Don't smudge the scatter.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut078.png[/img]

Now time for the shadow. This is actually pretty easy. Select the Magic Wand tool. Set anti-alias on and contiguous off. Select the leaf green on the mc. Right-click and click on Transform Selection. Set height ("H:" at the top) to 75%. Hit enter (twice, if the cursor was still in the height bar) to go out of Transform Selection. Now move the selection down and a bit to the right. The center of the shadow doesn't have to be the center of the log's bottom. If it isn't, then you'll have to draw a slight shadow around the log itself. Because of the height palm trees have, I generally move the shadow about 20 pixels to the right, while, for example, a table's shadow I move only 2 pixels to the right. Now select the Rectangle Tool. Select the Shadow layer and set the color to black. Click and drag the Rectangle Tool over the selection, and, tada, you have your shadow!

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut079.png[/img]
Now for pine trees. They're hard to draw and hard to shade. What more could you want? Let's get started.

First draw the tree skeleton. Make an almost straight line upwards for about 6 tiles. Make it wide. Pine trees are wide. I'd say that the widest point of the tree should be about 3 and a half tiles wide. Now, pine trees look like an upside-down V. Thin and pointy at the top and thick and wide at the bottom. Then there's the tree trunk. It's straight and not very thick. Draw the tree trunk line vertical. Where you want the main tree branches, draw lines at the left and right. Make them longer as you go down.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut080.png[/img]

Draw the outline. This is a part that is hard to master. See the image below. You have to draw little leaves in the shape of a pine tree. It's hard to explain, really. Just study the way I've drawn it.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut081.png[/img]

Remove the layer with the tree structure and color the tree's mc. Make it a dark-ish green and natural brown.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut082.png[/img]

Now let's shade the tree, starting with the sc. First make a shadow below each bundle of leaves, so it looks like the leaves cast a shadow on themselves. Yes, I know pine trees don't have leaves, but the way I draw them they look like leaves so I'll call them that. Make a general shadow on the right side of the tree. Then go over the leaves again and fix up the shadows where they have been erased by the general shadow. Make sure to make the leaf shadows brighter and softer as you work your way to the left. Don't forget to shade the tree trunk as well, which has a shadow at the top because of the needles above it.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut083.png[/img]

On to the hc. Give it a slight general shadow on the light side. Then give each tree bundle a highlight across the leaves at the top. Make sure, as with the sc, that the hc on the right is darker and softer than on the left.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut084.png[/img]

To add some variation to the tree, let's add stripes. Select the Stripes layer (obviously), select a black color, set the brush to size 1 px (and hardness 100%) and draw some short stripes across the tree.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut085.png[/img]

Hah. It looks a bit ugly right now, doesn't it? Let's change that by adding Scatter, Stone Scatter 2 and Tree Scatter. You know how this part works. If you don't, see the step on Scatter, above in the tutorial on the leaf tree.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut086.png[/img]

Now it looks beautiful. Let's give the tree some more depth by adding the shadow. This will be a bit more complicated than normal, because of the needles of a pine tree. Make a temporary layer beneath the Shadow layer. Select the Elliptical Marquee tool (hold down the mouse button on the Rectangular Marquee tool and select it). Make an oval selection beneath the tree. Make it a bit smaller than the actual tree width, but a few pixels more to the right than to the left. Right click on the selection and select Stroke. Set width to 1 px, color to black, location to center, mode to normal, opacity to 100% and preserve transparency to off. Click OK. You now have a nice oval. Right click the selection again and select Transform Selection. Set the W(idth) and H(eight) to 110% percent. Hit enter until you've applied the transformation. Do the same as you did before to draw another stroke. You now have two circles.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut087.png[/img]

Set the layer's opacity to something low (40%, for example). Use the Magic Wand tool (shortcut: W) to select the inner part of the smaller circle. Select the Shadow layer. Select the Rectangle Tool (shortcut: U) and use it to fill the selection with black. Now use the brush tool to draw knobs all around the black circle (connected to it, of course) touching the outline of the outer circle.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut088.png[/img]

Now apply the Wind effect to both sides (see leaf tree tutorial above for a better explanation on this). Select the Eraser tool (shortcut: E). Set it to brush size 1 px and hardness 0%. Start making a few small cuts in the shadow.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut089.png[/img]

You might also want to give the outline a highlight.

Anyway, here's the result:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut090.png[/img]

Brilliant!
After all that hard work, let's have some fun! I want you to use your new knowledge to draw a fantasy tree. A tree that is original and extravagant. Everything else is up to you.

Here's my fantasy tree:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut091.png[/img]

2. House Exteriorhttp://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies4/SealToParadise/StemixTutorial/part8_01.png[/img] http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... rt8_02.png[/img] http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... rt8_03.png[/img]

Now let's work on house exteriors. They're troublesome and take a lot of time. So we're going to do it a bit differently here. Instead of giving you assignments, I'll split this part up into several tutorials just like with the trees. But the tutorials don't each go over an entirely different set of houses. Instead, each tutorial will focus on one part of the house exterior and learn you how to do that. Excited yet? You should be!

To learn how to make a good house tileset, take a look at the RTP. Preferably Post Town 01. They have some gorgeous roofs. First, let's get some resources together. You can download the charset we'll be using from here. Right, they're a bit bigger than the RTP. Time to get a matching set of doors then. I would have liked to make doors that are just 2 tiles high, but then the charset's hair will rub into the door, and that doesn't look too good. So we'll make them around 2 and a half tiles high. Download the door here (don't mind the fact that I just stretched the RTP door and that it will clash with the graphics we're going to make). It's 67 pixels high, which is 3 pixels higher than 2 tiles. That means that we'll make 3 tile high stories.

There's not much information to give on buildings, really. Perhaps I should explain support beams. They're beams that, well, support the ceiling. Zomg, revelation! You need them, though. They also show where a new floor starts. As our floors are three tiles high, the support beam needs to be at the bottom of the fourth tile.
Let's start with the walls. Now while it may look pretty to have the wall darker to the ground, it's not realistic. It should be the other way around, because the roof casts a shadow on the top of the wall. Let's start with the basic wall tile. I want to make three, for variation. They obviously won't have an outline, so let's get right on with the mc. Fill three tiles atop eachother. Give it a nice bright and soft color.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut092.png[/img]

Though walls aren't darker at the bottom, they are rougher at the bottom. That is because the bottom of a wall gets hit more. Random plant growth, people, rain, whatever. The bottom gets hit more. We're going to scatter the walls now (with a low contrast), so give the bottom more scattered pixels than the top. But be careful, the Scatter has to be divided equally over each tile. So the bottom tile has a lot of scatter, the middle one less and the top one also less. It's not that it really flows into one another. If you do this, you won't be able to make walls higher than 3 tiles. To do this, I suggest you select the tile you're scattering so you don't hit anything else. Now we get to the trick of making filling tiles. Smudge the scatter one pixel to the right. But instead of erasing what you smudged to the right, select it and move it 32 pixels to the left (thus moving it onto the tile but at the left side). This way it will look right and flowing.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut093.png[/img]

Hide any background layers and merge all visible layers (shortcut: Shift + Control + E). Now copy the three wall tiles. We'll use them to make the rest of the walls, 'cause we still need to add edges, support beams and shadows. We will keep the ones that we just drew on there, though, as the basic tiles. Paste the three wall tiles onto a new layer that is below all others and call it Copy & Paste. Paste it six times, forming a 3 by 6 wall. I use this layer for any random images and things that I paste into my tileset workspace. Then afterwards I merge everything onto one layer and place them in a tileset template. Because the image I use is a lot wider than the normal tilesets.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut094.png[/img]

Let's first make the middle support beam. It goes up from the bottom to the top, in the exact middle. Make it a wooden support beam of around 10 pixels wide. However, we can't make this the normal way, because I want to be able to make very high floors as well. That means we need to make a support beam that can be repeated above eachother in a flowing way. So let's first make the middle. Once you have the outline of the support beam for one tile, give it a nice brown mc. Not too present though. Make it an old and soft brown. I suggest giving it an outline outside of the tile itself, so you can erase the main colors and such more easily.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut095.png[/img]

Now time to add scatter. You can give it some more contrast and darker colors than with the wall now. When you're done, erase the pixels outside the outline and then smudge it one pixel to the top. Use the Marquee tool to move what is sticking out above the tile to the bottom (like you did with the wall). Fix it up a bit and it should be able to connect. Around 2 pixels. Select the Shadow Color layer. Set the brush horizontally where you want the shadow. Then hold shift and move it vertically across the beam. Add a 1-2 pixel highlight on the left, using the same method. Erase any shadow/highlight that is outside of the outline. Then erase the outline at the top and bottom.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut096.png[/img]

Yay, you now have a beam! Scotty, beam me up! Sorry, couldn't resist. I've started feeling a wee bit corny since part 6. There must have been something in the cloth. Copy and paste (don't forget to set the outline to 65% first) the beam all the way vertically and see if it connects properly. If it doesn't, go back and fix it. Next up is the horizontal support beam. Repeat the process for the previous support beam, but make it horizontal this time. Make sure the new support beam doesn't overlap the vertical one. Place the horizontal beam at the bottom of the fourth tile and the shadow at the top of the third tile (counting from the bottom) once all support beams have been placed. If you want you can just copy and turn the vertical one and modify it to make it smaller, because the vertical beam needs to be slightly smaller.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut097.png[/img]

Copy the left column and place at left and right of the wall. Make sure to also copy the horizontal support beam with it. Now copy and turn the horizontal support beam. Copy and paste it along the whole left and right column at the outer edge. Have it overlap the horizontal beam. Now copy the thin vertical beam. Make it a tiny bit thinner. Place it near the inner edge of the outer columns. The horizontal beam overlaps this new vertical one.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut098.png[/img]

Now replace the bottom of these new thin vertical beams with a curved beam. This beam is straight at the bottom tile, and then curves outwards in the tile above it. This new beam is as thin as the one it is replacing. It doesn't overlap the outer beams, though.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut099.png[/img]

Copy the second floor to form a third. Add a two pixel part of the support beams to the tiles below the wall. Now add shadow to all support beams.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut100.png[/img]

Now for the side-view of the house. Add a two story wall with just one support beam at both outer sides and the vertical beam.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut101.png[/img]

And that's it for the wall. Onto the roofs.
Let's make the vertical roof first and then the diagonal one. Now the roof will go from dark at the bottom to light at the top. To achieve this, we will use gentle difference in brightness with one tile at a time. To make it look flowing, we need the roof tiles in a tile to start and end inside the tile. The roof tiles can't flow into the next one, or the highlight won't work. Let's start by drawing an outline.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut102.png[/img]

This part is hard to do, because the numbers 32 needs to be able to be divided by the number of pixels you use for the roof tiles. I wasn't able to do this, so one of the three rows is 1 pixel smaller than the other two.

Now give the roof tiles an mc. Soft red. Then make a new layer. Place it above Main Color and name it Shadow on Main Color. Set it to 30% opacity. Now draw a 1-2 pixel shadow below each roof tile. For me, I made the shadow of the shorter row 1 pixel smaller so it looks as big as the other 2 rows.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut102.png[/img]

Now for the Shadow and Highlight color. Color each roof tile seperately. Give it a high contrast but stay at the Main Color for the most part of the tile, and make the Shadow Color a bit darker than usual so it stands out. The method to color should be the same that you used on the support beam. Hold the shift key and then vertically draw a straight line so it's the same all over the tile. Add a minor scatter over it as well, smudged upwards for 1 pixel.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut103.png[/img]

Once you're satisfied, set the outline opacity to 65% and copy and paste the whole roof tile. Now place them into a 3 by 6 tiles roof at the side-view house, starting at the upper horizontal support beam. Give this roof an outline (at the left and right, of course).

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut104.png[/img]

Note: The above image should look different from yours, because I've worked ahead.

Draw a horizontal support beam at the top of the roof, covering the first roof tile row. Only give this beam a tiny highlight. Make sure to stick to the method of holding shift while drawing shadows and highlights, so the tile can connect with itself in a flowing way.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut105.png[/img]

Select the Wand tool and the background tile layer. Select a row of three tiles. Make a new layer above the roof and call it Roof Highlight. Set the layer mode to Screen and opacity to 30%. Give the upper row of roof tiles the main color (or around that color, anyway). Then with each row lower, make the color (you're using to highlight) darker. Don't give the bottom row any highlight.

Go to the bottom row of tiles. In this row, erase the bottom two roof tiles so only one row remains. Instead, give it a support beam that stops where the second row of roof tiles had stopped. Give it a soft and bright brown color. Give it a shadow at the top and a minor highlight at the bottom. Then cast a shadow upon the wall below that. Note that the shadow on the support beams below it should be smaller, because the support beam is around 2 pixels away from the wall.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut106.png[/img]

Now for the diagonal roof tiles. This will be bit more tricky. Let's start with the outline again. First make them like they're horizontal. You can do this by copying the previously made roof tile outline and flipping it 90 degrees counter-wise (by activating Free Transform and clicking on Rotate 90 degrees CW). Then copy and paste the tile around itself so it forms a 9 by 9 tiles grid.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut107.png[/img]

Activate Free Transform on the grid. Set the vertical skew to 45 degrees. You can do this by putting the number 45 next to the letter "V:".

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut108.png[/img]

You now have a nice diagonal roof tile. All we have to do is get the pattern out of it now. Because the diagonal roof tiles do not slowly go from dark to bright, we don't need to worry about having the roof tiles stop at the edge of the tile. Using Free Transform on outlines is a bad thing for Stemixing, though. So trace one of the roof tiles onto a new layer, and form a whole tile with that. Give it a Shadow Color, Highlight Color and Scatter, just like you did before. Do this for both sides of the roof. Once you're satisfied with the result, give the right tile a shadow, and the left one a slight highlight. Just make two layers above Outline, one on Screen and one on Multiply. Fill in the tile with a main color and set the opacity of the layer to something low until it looks good. The opacity of the Highlight Color should be around 10%.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut109.png[/img]

Now copy the outer 16 pixels of the two tiles and place them in a middle one. Copy the three tiles and make three rows, centered at the top of the front-view of the house. Copy the support beam that you placed on the top of the side-view roof. However, you have to copy all the seperate layers. You can't merge them and then just copy one layer, because we're going to edit the support beam. Once you've copied everything, flip it over so the shadow side is on the right and the highlight on the left. Don't give it a front-view, though. Leave it flat. Now move the top edge of the top tile of the support beam down, so it becomes shorter (but it has to stay 2 pixels higher than two roof tiles down). Move it two roof tiles down, and remove those roof tiles. Do the same for the diagonal roof tiles next to that. Now add two more columns of roof tiles and do the same. Give those two columns an outline. From here on it will be a bit complicated to explain, so instead of guiding you through it step-by-step, I shall give you some detailed images of the final roof. Just study them and do the same.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut110.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut111.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut112.png[/img]
The majhostor Stemixing part is over. Now we have to glue everything together with conjunctions, for making T-shaped houses and such. For this part we'll just be copying the RTP's Post Town 01, because conjunctions are confusing. I'll go over each part and explain what it is used for with mapping. But first, the RTP:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut113.png[/img]

Let's start by giving the side-view a support beam. This speaks for itself. Walls on the side need support too, don't they? Copy the front-view one and fit it in to the side-view. In fact, you can use the front-view for placing the support beam up until the top. So we'll only need to add one tile, the tile where the wall meets the roof. Add the support beam there, with a shadow over the beam too, of course.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut114.png[/img]

Now let's make the third story wall, but without the main vertical support beam. Lord knows why there wouldn't be a support beam, but the RTP does it, so, so do we. Well, this part is easy. Just remove the support beam and copy and paste the roof part.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut115.png[/img]

Next up is something a bit more complicated. We're going to allow the roof to curve into a T-shape. Paste 7 full columns (including the tile in which the roof meets the wall) of the side-view roof (middle part). Paste the middle connecting part of the diagonal roof in a column onto the 4th column. Then paste a normal diagonal roof tile in a pyramid shape onto the roof.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut116.png[/img]

Erase the upper part of the vertical support beam so it blends in with the horizontal one. Make a selection that goes in a straight line from the corner of the two support beams to the bottom of the lowest roof tile of the side-view roof at the bottom-right. The outer part of the entire roof has to be in the selection too. Erase the diagonal roof in the selection. Do the same for the other side. Remove all side-view roof tiles, except the first row. Give it an outline at the far left and right bottom corners of the diagonal roof tiles.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut117.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut118.png[/img]

Now we're going to make the middle-top tile (where the vertical and horizontal support beam merge) three times, but different each time. Start by copying the side-view roof onto the middle column for 4 tiles. Do the same as you did before to merge the support beams, but this time in different shapes. See the image below for what shapes. You can also delete the unnecessary tiles.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut119.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut120.png[/img]

Now copy the tile of the support beam and wall where the vertical support beam hits the main horizontal support beam. Give it an outline at the bottom. This will allow you to just add a support beam for the top floor, like the attic.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut121.png[/img]

For the last conjunction, copy the two diagonal cut sides (which we just made) and give them an outline. This will allow making a single curve in a house, instead of a T-shape. Also make the corrosponding support beam curve at the top of the roof.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut122.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut123.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut124.png[/img]

Now go back and make any changes that you forgot or skipped. I haven't added shadow yet to some points, so I'm adding them now.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut125.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut126.png[/img]
Now for windows and decorations. After all, what's a house without some flower pots and windows? But we'll start with a chimney. First draw a chimney for the side-view roof. That means that you draw it as if it is standing on the ground. Make it one of those stone chimneys from when fireplaces were used instead of gas. Give it a little roof, to prevent the rain from going into the chimney.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut127.png[/img]

Now we have to change the bottom of the chimney so we can place it on the diagonal roofs. Copy the bottom tile of the chimney and paste it twice (excluding the shadow). Select the Polygonal Lasso Tool (shortcut: L). If you hold shift while using this tool, you can make perfectly horizontal, vertical or diagonal selection lines. Use this method to make a diagonal selection of the bottom of the chimney, like a little triangle. Make sure that the lasso tool has anti-alias on. Delete the selection. Do this for both chimney bottoms, but with the triangle pointing left and then right. Give the cut side an outline. Then add shadow.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut128.png[/img]

Next up are windows. Just draw some nice wooden windows without any boards that can open and close. Now when placing windows in your tileset, you have to pay close attention to where you will want them on your house. Windows can't go over support beams. They just can't. So you'll have to place them below or above the support beam. Think logically. If the window is on the main floor, it will be below the first horizontal support beam. If the window is on the first floor, it will be above the first horizontal support beam. In either case, the window is placed mainly on the second tile counting from the floor of that story. Now if the window is more close to the ground or the ceiling is up to you. I prefer to place the bottom of the window on the first tile, the glass on the second and the top on the third. That way I can hang objects like flower pots from the top of the first tile. Actually, because we'll be making flower pots after the window, do as I do. Place the bottom of the window on the top of the first tile. Don't forget to add a seperate layer above the glass on which you draw a few small white stripes to indicate that it is glass. Also add a small shadow at the bottom of the window.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut129.png[/img]

Now as you've seen, or actually haven't seen, in the image above, is that the trick to making windows is making the glass transparent. The glass is a white layer with transparency 20%. I have three variations of the middle tile of the windows, and a pair of each. I have a dark blue and orange-yellow window for the night, and a light blue one for the day. These colors are in a layer below the windows. Then I have a pair that is centered on one tile, and a pair that is centered between two tiles to be placed next to doors.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut130.png[/img]

But these windows don't fit on the wall of the attic, because the roof is in the way. Make a smaller or triangular window for the top floor.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut131.png[/img]

Now let's make some flower pots. Copy the bottom of the window and hang the flower pots from them (yes, I'm making hanging flower pots and not one of those boxes that hang from the window). Put them on one layer and add some different flower colors. I placed the flowers without outline on a layer above all others. Make some variations. Perhaps a different plant and some empty flower pots as well.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut132.png[/img]

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut133.png[/img]

And that's it for the tutorial! It's up to you to make more decorations for your house now. Perhaps a porch?

Anyway, I've done some Stemixing and I've come up with a pretty cool house.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/starmies ... tut134.png[/img]

OS

Sponsor

This'd be even better if I had the tools. I only have Paint.NET.

Hopefully I'll still gain much from this.

Twin Matrix;240098 said:
Thank you. ^_^ I'll have the next part up soon.~
It'll focus on drawing furniture.

Shall be very interesting, Look forward to it, Am currently installing CS2 on my laptop for graphics on the go, So I'll be able to try this out a bit more often

Twin Matrix;241662 said:
Thank you for your kind replies. :)

I have updated the academy with the second part: Wood.

The third part will focus on stone objects and statues.

I love the wood tutorials, Shows great detail in the table, Without putting too much detailed work into. When I get some free time I think I might try to make a closet and post it ^.^ Might be a bit though, Got family that are clingy and annoying, Gotta love cousins

Thanks. ^_^ I'll be looking forward to seeing that closet someday, SH.~

I've updated the tutorial here and there (nothing worth looking up) and added a new piece of furniture to the Wood part, as well as started writing the Stone part. I also gave everything spoiler tags so it isn't such a long post (why did I forget those in the first place?).

I wonder how many images will fit into the post before it tells me there can be no more...

Twin Matrix;242007 said:
Thanks. ^_^ I'll be looking forward to seeing that closet someday, SH.~

I've updated the tutorial here and there (nothing worth looking up) and added a new piece of furniture to the Wood part, as well as started writing the Stone part. I also gave everything spoiler tags so it isn't such a long post (why did I forget those in the first place?).

I wonder how many images will fit into the post before it tells me there can be no more...

Workign my way up, Done a ball and cube, Gonna do a table then Closet, Try a few different objects... Also, Stone should be Part 3 not 2 >,< But expect the work within a week, Cuz is reaaaaaly annoying and pestering me all the time

Oh, that's cool. ^^ Good luck with the drawing. And yea, I'm aware that Stone should be 3. I've updated it in my .doc of the tutorial but haven't updated the post itself yet. ^^;

I sent it in a PM, Probably should've done that first, Looks lik eI can do some stuff as of Tuesday, My cousin leaves then, So I should have it up at that point in time

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.