Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Scrolling Message System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I still can't get half the features to look right. Let me list them...

1. The \face bitmap seems to offset the options in the choices box as well as the regular text box, so by using 96x96 bitmaps I offset them by 96 pixels, effectively pushing them out of the box.

2. The choices also display incorrectly without a \face bitmap: when a choice consists of over 15 letters or so, they get cut off, despite there being plenty of room in the box.

3. Many letters do not appear in bold when using Times New Roman, such as 'y' 'f' and 'w'.

I'm sorry to come on here and just start bitching, but I really like the overall effect in the demo and would like to be able to use this script, rather than giving up and finding another one. Any help you can offer me would be great, slipknot; we seem to be posting on very different schedules, so feel free to pm me if you think its necessary.

I also agree that the choices should only be displayed AFTER the message has all been viewed, so if your willing to make that modification, I'd love to get my hands on it :thumb:
Everything looks great in the demo...I'm just sad I can't get anything to work right; its obviously a very nifty script ^_^

Sorry about the choice thing... I already spotted the error and it's fixed, just ignore it unitl I release a new version. And thanks, for reporting the error and giving me an useful screenshot :)

About the choices, I still dont' have idea how I can change it, suggestions are welcome :)

@BlueScope: you were right... @choices is the variable where the window is stores, but that's not important :p

Suggestion:
BlueScope;207705 said:
You could center the message window alone over the players head and add the choices window to the side (not only to the right, but also to the left, depending on the players positioning to the map border), which wouldn't create that effect. It wouldn't look centered afterwards, but well... the choices window is just an additional element to the message window anyway, so it wouldn't look off.
XD

Great script, it's definetely overall better than the last name and face script I used and way less code, The scrolling text part is alright except for a couple things.

It would be great if like others said the choices showed up AFTER the text was finished, and I really liked the way you implemented fitting the name and face in with the window however I enlarged the window to make more room for text and because tiny windows just look silly in my opinion and it created a void inbetween the next line of text, I tried finding a way to narrow the lines closer to each other by tweaking some numbers but I couldn't find a way, it would be really cool if in your next version you could implement the window to show 3 or 4 lines of text while scrolling to accomadate a larger window instead of having that huge gap, this would look much neater and cleaner.

Then again maybe I just didn't adjust the numbers correctly, anyway great script and keep up the good work, hope a newer version of this comes out soon.

-The Wizard

Undoubtedly almost perfect.

The only real problem is the yes/no option being displayed from the start, like people have already said. Although i gather you've already fixed the problem. I await your next release impatiently :fire02: ROFL.

I think I'll start working on this script in a week, because I'm now with tests...
If someone find bugs or want suggestions to make, feel free to post them :)

I know this is a bit off topic... but what font did you use for the little banner above that odd collage of screenshots from your script, that spells out 'scrolling message system'

if at all possibly, could you link me to that font... I'd love to use it in my game ^-^

@hanmac: I already see it, but I like my code :)
@heavyblues: yeah... very offtopic... but it's called "Stitches", I found it at Deviantart ;)

Grant

Might have been answered already, but I haven't seen it, so I'll ask anyhow.

Is there anyway to make a message follow the hero? You can set the message to appear over an event, but how would you do the same for the hero?

Theres a small event issue with this script, for anyone that may have come accross the same issue. if you turn a script on or off right before you initialize a decision, it'll error.

just thought I'd share the knowldge ^-^

I tried to change the normal_color in Window_Base to change the text color permanently but it didn't worked in the message window. Is there any other way to change the color permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.