Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Scripting Contest 1 - Custom Menu System - Contest Ended

Vote for your favorite CMS. (click links to download)

• Daft_Punk_CMS

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Kain_Nobel_CMS

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • rey_meustrus_CMS

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • mr_smith_CMS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sorry to say that I will not be able to send in a submission. The point for is that I'm currently making a menu for the skillsystem in my game, and doing so I also want to add a whole CMS into it. But I dont have that included yet, and since this contest is about a CMS I cant enter with it. If I finish my submission in time, very little chanche for it as I want to do it proper and don't want to mess it up to enter in time, I send it in. Also, if I still may enter to be judged, but not in the real contest, I'll send it in anyway. Sorry guys, I didnt think it would take me that long to make what I wanted.

Come on guys. Only a few days left and only have one submission in. :blank:

If need be, we will extend the deadline, and subtract a few points for having late submissions but I'd really not like to do that.

I have the weekend, don't I? I'm trying to fix up a lot of legacy systems, like an Options menu which allows you to change the background music, sound volumes, screen tone, and font. It was complicated then and it's complicated now. Unfortunately I still have a lag problem associated with drawing gradient bars for hp/sp/exp for all characters in the menu, but I'm hoping I've minimized the effects of that on effective computers (I can never trust this computer when it's running on battery power).

SephirothSpawn":27jn5yo6 said:
Come on guys. Only a few days left and only have one submission in. :blank:

If need be, we will extend the deadline, and subtract a few points for having late submissions but I'd really not like to do that.

Well I'd be glad with an extended deadline, but I dont think we should see this as a contest but as improving our scripting. Maybe an idea for a board like scripts and resources, but for ENCRYPTED stuff so people can testplay it? That way we dont have to give our code away...

I have the weekend, don't I? I'm trying to fix up a lot of legacy systems, like an Options menu which allows you to change the background music, sound volumes, screen tone, and font. It was complicated then and it's complicated now. Unfortunately I still have a lag problem associated with drawing gradient bars for hp/sp/exp for all characters in the menu, but I'm hoping I've minimized the effects of that on effective computers (I can never trust this computer when it's running on battery power).

I tried to do the same thing upon request once and just ended up re-scripting the entire thing. I suggest not making some windows until the command is actually called (IE: XP Scene_Battle phase3 windows). That should reduce some lag and memory usage. I love my computer. It's barely good enough to run XP, so I get the chance to see my code in super low performance. So by making it fast with low performance, I can only imagine what it works on the average or above average computers.

Maybe an idea for a board like scripts and resources, but for ENCRYPTED stuff so people can testplay it? That way we dont have to give our code away...

I've been thinking about something like this (along with coding review). I'll have to take it up with the higher ups.

SephirothSpawn":13iuz347 said:
I tried to do the same thing upon request once and just ended up re-scripting the entire thing. I suggest not making some windows until the command is actually called (IE: XP Scene_Battle phase3 windows). That should reduce some lag and memory usage. I love my computer. It's barely good enough to run XP, so I get the chance to see my code in super low performance. So by making it fast with low performance, I can only imagine what it works on the average or above average computers.

That's exactly what I started with, when the entire thing was one big Scene_Menu. I've been able to do away with that with the layering Scene_Base (as well as the extremely convoluted animation controls). On initialization, it creates only what it needs for the menu: @command_window, @play_window (has steps, play time, gold, and location), and @status_windows[]. The status windows are what lag to create, and there can be a virtually unlimited amount of them since this is designed for unbounded party size (although only four of the windows are ever on-screen at once). So what I've done is make them all dummy windows until they are on-screen. At the beginning of main_loop, it checks the window and says, If it is on the screen and it's not a Window_MenuStatus, then make it one. I've tried to do the best I can of minimizing lag, but it still stutters noticeably during the initial animation when it has to initialize the windows.

If you want an example of how I've made massive singular Scene_Menus before, look at my full screen CMS (note this is not my submission).

Animations are controlled by @resize_ boolean values, which are also what cause new scenes to appear. This was my first fully integrated CMS, and it was the springboard for the Eternal CMS, which is what I will be submitting tomorrow. It was the core for the animations and integrations I used, and I'm actually very proud of how I was able to seamlessly integrate it with both the default peripheral scenes (Item, Skill, Equip...) and my Improved Peripherals script which made target windows permanently visible and integrated several of RPG Advocate's Equip menu improvements and some Save menu improvements which are doubled in my "Reload" Load Screen script. But that was a time long past, before official translations (as you can probably tell from the $fontface variable, which also proves I was always a DynaEmu user--fuck Postality, I say). I've probably rambled too long.

Alright, didnt do alot to the script, but I submit it tomorrow to get some feedback. Its not a CMS, its a skill-log quest journal for my game.

Alright, if I extend the deadline one week, will we have any more submissions? As of now I have 4 submissions. If you know you can get it done in a week, please post in this thread or PM me. If 2 or more people say they can get it done within a week, I will extend the deadline. For those who have already turned their entries in, they can also get another week to work on their code if they need it.

We are planning on the next contest right now (next contest should start no later than April 1st). If you have any ideas for these contest, feel free to PM me (this is not a chance to get a script request done). We are looking for specific types of challenges that target specific areas that will improve people's coding.

I planned to post an encrypted version of my project, but my computer crashed before I was able to make the upload. I'll try and post that for all of you soon, and I'd also like to see some of the other submissions in action--unless Seph wants us to wait.

I'd prefer to keep them confidential until all entries are in. We have talked about it, and decided it shouldn't take too long to score, so we will be extending the deadline for 2 more weeks.

Now get to work people! :kiss:

Im currently rewriting my menu, so I can also include item windows and stuff like that. This way I can have a CMS for my own game, and enter it in the contest. However, Im not sure if I make it in a week time but Ill try.

We are going for a 2-week extension.

For those of you have already submitted an entry, let me know if you would like to update it and work on it some more during this extension. If not, we will begin grading the entries.

Im not sure if its ok for this contest... but i've re-written the normal menu.. so that it only displays the gold window..command..and the party..It also has the map as the background..should i post it here?

ok..as soon as i get home..ill put it on my memory stick ready to post tommorow..

P.S .. its not that great mind you. :biggrin:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.