Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Science Talk

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

What's on my mind: Photon torpedoes are antimatter weapons. Why don't they called them antimatter torpedoes? The warhead is antimatter based not photonic....

Hybrida":3cb45c8j said:
What's on my mind: Photon torpedoes are antimatter weapons. Why don't they called them antimatter torpedoes? The warhead is antimatter based not photonic....

Because sci-fi is fond of adding "nuclear" or "photon" or "quantum" to anything to make them sound cool.

Even so, antimatter and photons aren't a seperate thing. Anti-matter collisions that convert all matter involved into kinetic energy, create photons.

In antimatter-matter collisions resulting in photon emission, the entire rest mass of the particles is converted to kinetic energy.

Furthermore, mixing matter and antimatter would lead to the annihilation of both in the same way that mixing antiparticles and particles does, thus giving rise to high-energy photons (gamma rays) or other particle–antiparticle pairs.

Anti-matter itself isn't anything special; it's just... anti matter. It's abundant and everywhere. But colliding anti-matter with matter causes annihilation of both resulting in some crazy shit (though have to be careful of leaping from the realm of quantum physics to the realm of sci-fi; everything here is only a theory).

Wait, antimatter only goes kaput when it hits matter? Like, it stays the same if it touches matter, but not if it hits? I always figured that antimatter would like explode on contact or something.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

I always figured that antimatter would like explode on contact or something.
I believed that matter + Antimatter = Universe explodes. Not true, but not impossible. :grin:

NASA experiment with Antimatter. They calculated that a tea spoon of antimatter will equal to an explosion over 800 megatons. A few grams could blow up a whole city. It's to dangerous test, but it would make nuclear weapons look obsolete.

NASA trying to find way to use antimatter as a energy source, but they are too scared to use the stuff. I don't blame them.

They're doing some underground experiments or something with it, right? I don't know much about it, except that my girlfriend they're doing "something" underground, and I think they're doing some kind of tests to create antimatter?

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

yes sir. I remember hearing about an underground test in Europe somewhere too. I wish them good luck, Because if anything goes wrong...Boom, or blackhole creation D:

I would love to go down there to watch the creation of antimatter.

they've only managed to create a few atoms of antihydrogen and even less antihelium, and i'm pretty sure they're annihilated within a few milliseconds or something

it's extremely difficult to create and is currently valued as the most expensive substance in the universe (one gram of antihydrogen is over $60 trillion i believe)

it's incredibly interesting stuff, actually. makes me want to become a quantum physicist or something :specs:

oh god i'm turning into hybrida ;-;

When matter and antimatter touch they are "annihilated" and turned into energy (i.e. a photon); while this is a relatively large amount of energy it is certainly not the end of the world, especially considering both matter and anti-matter are abundant to the Universe (according to the theory of quantum mechanics).

moog

Sponsor

Dadevster":2aeer17p said:
they've only managed to create a few atoms of antihydrogen and even less antihelium, and i'm pretty sure they're annihilated within a few milliseconds or something

it's extremely difficult to create and is currently valued as the most expensive substance in the universe (one gram of antihydrogen is over $60 trillion i believe)

it's incredibly interesting stuff, actually. makes me want to become a quantum physicist or something :specs:

oh god i'm turning into hybrida ;-;

ONE OF US.

ONE OF US.

The "large energy thing" you talked about is the Large Hadron Collider (and come on, everyone and their mother knows about it and... the halluximatoric Hybrida doesn't o.O). It collides single photons with each other. Not antimatter. Nothing in fact to do with antimatter; they are trying to create a higgs particle by colliding "real" photons.

What you are talking about is colliding a particle with it's corresponding anti-particle, which would create one photon or anti-photon. NB: I may be wrong! But it would still only create one of them. When they talk about getting energy from antimatter, or creating antimatter weapons, we are talking a HUGE amount of antimatter (relatively speaking) - more than one or two particles which is what is used in such CERN tests as the LHC.

Actually, the large underground experiment related to antimatter is a large underground pool of pure water loaded with sensors. The theory is that, since several theoretical substances related to antimatter would simply pass through the earth with little to nothing in the way of slowing them down, they'll have a better chance of detecting them if they try it deep underground, basically filtering out a lot of other shit that could get in their way.

:specs:

According to a TV show my dad was just watching, the explosion of Krakatoa was 13,000 times bigger than the explosion of the nuclear ordnance we dropped on Hiroshima. 13,000 times bigger. I guess mother nature kicks the ass of everything when it wants to, including nuclear weapons. What say you, Hybrida?

When you get to those numbers x000 times means relatively nothing. Making nuclear bombs bigger doesn't make them any more of a threat; a nuke that can blow up a house is enough to get a government worried enough to do what you want them to do. The gov arent gonna scream around going their nuke power levels! are over 9000 megatons!, they'll scream around saying "omfg they have nukes" in general.

mawk

Sponsor

the explosion doesn't matter at all, really. it's the fallout that gets people scared. so long as the bomb is enough to spread nuclear nastiness over an un-ponderous area, that's all you need to make some foreheads sweat

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.