Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Scavenger concept

SPN

:O

Waiting patiently for the release. I really like your ideas, and the few screenshots you've posted in the Screenshots thread look promising!

regi

Sponsor

Thanks! Sorry about the delay in testing, but most bugs have been ironed out. The difficulty level is a bit harder than expected, but we'll see what players think. It'll be out shortly, I promise!

As for concept planning, I came up with an overarching premise for the game, which involves time-traveling and exploring and scavenging for clues about history and whatnot, yay! I'd love for some other feedback, though.

Right now I'm lacking a motive for the player to journey to different dungeons: ie, what to collect? Part of the game will involve fixing a broken mirror, but collecting shards has been done already and finding the materials for it doesn't quite fit.

I wish I could go the cliche route of Super Paper Mario (collect Pure Hearts in a bunch of different worlds!) but I need a more serious idea. It has to be a thing, and it has to 1) be scattered in various dungeons around the world, 2) pertain to each location and/or a person who comes from that area, and 3) help the player fix the mirror or learn about the past.

I've come up with a few ideas but none are quite solid: finding a Journal left behind by each character (why would they scatter them in random dungeons from where they came?); collecting shards of the mirror that characters returned to their areas/dungeons (but that's been done before); collecting Memories (in what form? book? magical Pensieve-esque container? and how would they help the player fix the mirror?)

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Well memories can be tied to anything really. If it has got a strong bond to you, as in you apriciate it / got it from a loved one, it doesnt matter what kind of thing it is.
And why bind yourself to 1:1 on 'memories' and the physical manifistation of the 'memory' (the item you're supposed to collect).
You can make a memory require different stuff to 'craft' it, even do this 'crafting' as a minigame, where you would combine precious items you've found and see if they make up a memory. This enables you to create some gameplay that is unique to your game.
The created memory doesnt have to stay static either, maybe the items are damaged, so the crafted memory would contain less rewards for playing/watching? Maybe it has now got a sad ending/a family died/a dog fell ill instead of the default happy ending.
(im just brainstorming, because you asked for opinions and brain fodder)
You could make the memory, which is crafted, depend on the quality (of your choice) of the item(s).

So this 'system' would give the player incentive to explore everything explorable (from a gameplay perspective, still need to find a reason story-wise) and its far less boring that collect 4 shards then watch cutscene, then collect moar shards, then next cutscene right? :D

ninja edit: spelling and missing words

regi

Sponsor

Oh no, you'll get a fair share of memories without actually collecting anything! Here's how it works: every time you examine an important object / artifact, you'll visualize a memory in that certain place. Once you complete the dungeon and obtain Special Item™, you can play through the whole dungeon in the past (ie all the memories at once).

Your ideas are much appreciated though. I'll definitely throw in extra memories non-plot related, but as collectibles. The crafting idea is cool, too, but it might be a tad complicated. Maybe instead of crafting, you only view the parts of the dungeon you've collected?

And I've decided to use Shards, simply because they're easy to carry and you can look through them (thus only once you find them can you visualize the entire dungeon!) woo anyhow thanks for the ideas, most of the concept is solidified now. Once I get some final sprites done I'll release the demo~

Sounds like Myst to me.

You're dropped in a world, no guidance at all, no one is around, but it's obvious someone has been here before, go out and find some clues.

I like stuff like this, but only on a small scale.

regi

Sponsor

It's a similar concept, but I wouldn't say exactly the same. You get guidance in the form of journals the player writes; you have a clearly defined motive (collect X items) once you complete the intro dungeon; and there will be enemies and other things to interact with.

But there will be an overarching backstory, as well as smaller subplots confined to each dungeon, that you must dig up through clues and exploration. Hopefully with the gameplay features I'm working on you'll like it :smile:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.