Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RPG Maker PY (RMPY)

and importing is working with the new dialog
Capture.png
Capture2.png
Capture3.png

I'm working on my own Editor using WxRuby but never used WxPython. I was wondering, how does the Map Editor run? Does it lag or anything?
I see that everything is rendered pretty well (events, autotiles, alpha channel, etc.).

I was goint to make an editor with wxruby at one point but the binding isn't very developed and there is no reliable way to distribute a ruby application short af asking the user to install ruby and all the required libraries on an system other than windows. I'm actually going to rewrite the map editor in pygame so that is doesn't lag. as it is now there is a large white bar around the edge of the map when ever you scroll

also If you decided to work with python to make the editor then why not come help me? I could use the help and it would get finished a lot faster that way.

I liked the idea.
Issue Title: The whole tile based system
Description: The tile based mapping system is not a perfect solution, and it does not allow more precise options.
Suggestion: Somehow creating a pixel-based system, or making an option for small tiles.

This has been suggested before, either here or on another forums I can;t remember. but. as I stated in the first post I'm ONLY working on a editor, anything the would require event the smallest edits of the engine's scripts default or other wise is out of the question.

your suggestion requires a rather major edit of the RTP scripts.

Ryexander":1961j55w said:
I was goint to make an editor with wxruby at one point but the binding isn't very developed and there is no reliable way to distribute a ruby application short af asking the user to install ruby and all the required libraries on an system other than windows. I'm actually going to rewrite the map editor in pygame so that is doesn't lag. as it is now there is a large white bar around the edge of the map when ever you scroll

also If you decided to work with python to make the editor then why not come help me? I could use the help and it would get finished a lot faster that way.

Well if you are planning to port it to linux you can create your own .rpm or .deb, writing all the dependencies and other things there, no?

I think thats the best way in linux...

Ryexander":1ozk7ybi said:

Maybe one day I'll start working with python, but I'm already working on a very big project and have not much time left for other projects.
Still, I wish you luck with that, and please, don't give up! I've been working on my project for 4 years now and it's starting to shape up pretty nicely. :)

Take care
- Dargor

just though I'd give people an update.

you should know that I'm a freshmen in college so while I really like working on this project I can't work on it when I have other responsibilities. so unless other programmers help me out I can't move very fast.

I'd also like to point out that helping me is very, very easy. you don't even have to work with the project full time. just fork my github repository and create your own. then work on adding a feature. when its done. send me a pull request and I'll review your code for integration into the main repository project. while I'd appreciate it if you contacted me and discuss what your doing. you can basically work entirely independent from me. you don't even have to do something major. you want to make a base for a larger system? go a head, you'll save me hours of trouble when I get around to finishing it off. now when I'm done your code might not be entirely intact, I may go through and fix or change some things depending on what happens in the finishing but you''ll still of been a great help.

that said, current progress. still at the same point sadly. I finished of the SDL version of the map editor only to find that it was only a tiny bit faster than the GDI version due to the fact that GDI still have to take the final product and blit it to the screen, if I had been to use an SDL context instead of passing an SDL surface to GDI things would of been different.. at it is now. I'm working on creating a OpenGL tile-map class that I can use to draw the map. it is a lot of overhead code and an extra library included but I know for a fact that this time I'll be able to run it at the needed speed.

road map right now is

*finish map display
*create a action framework that changed project data and allows for undo redo operations.
*work on map editing and get the brush system working
*public, feature incomplete, alpha release.

Chaos-Project has started a communality project to create Advanced RPG Creator (ARC).

As I'm now one of the four core developer working on ARC this project has become redundant. the projects are merging and RMPY will form the base of the ARC editor. nothing has been lost, in fact much has been gained. now there are 4 people working on the project and it will come with a new better engine instead of just a better editor.

I hope people aren't disappointed because I'm not.

all the best ~ Ryex

Do me a favor and don't make the same mistake all the other people did: Creating just another RPG Maker... of course you will say you won't do it, but then I'll see an actor database tab, and a resource import window, and maybe a map editor window... >>

If that's not what you'Re doing, then good luck!

We're remaking RMXP in a much better way. It will run faster and still support all RMXP scripts and projects. We have successfully linked Ruby 1.9.2 with C++ and runs ruby files perfectly. We're also right now rewriting all RGSS classes this way RMXP projects and scripts work with no problem. Which is the key feature all other RPG Maker spinoffs didn't have. Ruby scripting. And ryex, what he's basically saying is don't start making another RPG maker and only have few things to show for it and then quit. I think thats what he's saying.

Anyways if you wanna check it out.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.ph ... ,68.0.html

Ryexander":1nos4sr4 said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I basically meant this:
game_guy":1nos4sr4 said:
We're remaking RMXP in a much better way. It will run faster and still support all RMXP scripts and projects. We have successfully linked Ruby 1.9.2 with C++ and runs ruby files perfectly. We're also right now rewriting all RGSS classes this way RMXP projects and scripts work with no problem. Which is the key feature all other RPG Maker spinoffs didn't have. Ruby scripting.
In other words: Just another RPG Maker.

ah, this is just the beginning we're making it so that it will support RMXP project but we're not going to stop at that we're going to end up with a completely new engine with more power and many more features than RMXP. but to start, yes it will be just another RPG maker.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.