Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RPG Maker PY (RMPY)

RPG Maker PY (RMPY)
A Replacement RMXP Editor

I've created a github project for this endeavor https://github.com/Ryex/RPG-Maker-PY

There are numerous problems with RMXP. they are mostly small but they add up quick.
So I was inspired to create a new editor for the RMXP engine. one that isn't riddled with annoying limitations, avoiding all the shortcomings of the original.

I'm going to make it in Python, as such it will be cross platform. you will be able to edit the game on any platform that can run Python and wxWidgets.

I've already got a plan down for how it will work and I've got some basic code for the map editor and data done.

the purpose of this topic is to. 1) collect suggestions for things that potential users would like to see done different in the RMXP editor, and 2) perhaps recruit people to help with the project (if you would like to help PM me)

Suggestions

I need a list of all the issues that would need to be addressed. all the little thing that could of been done better.
If there is something you would like to suggest please use this format:

Issue Title: Title (give your suggestion a descriptive title so I can identify it in long topics)
Description: What is wrong. (what part of the RMXP editor could of been done better?)
Suggestion: How it could be fixed. (if you were to fix it how would it work?)

also please separate the suggestions from each other and from the rest of the post with at least one blank line.

here is the bbc for that format
Ruby:
[b]Issue Title:[/b] Title

[b]Description:[/b] What is wrong.

[b]Suggestion:[/b] How it could be fixed.

I have some rules/guidelines for what to suggest as there has been some stupidity and misunderstandings.

Rule 1: anything that would require editing the default RTP scripts included with rpg maker will not be considered.
Rule 2: don't be stupid. in other words I reserve the right to condemn a suggestion as stupid and pointless as there are some things that while they may be cool to someone they wouldn't add anything of value to the editor as a whole.
Rule 3: all suggestions must be limited to the editor that means the part of the program the edits maps events and item/armor/monster database stuff. no new functions like the ability to change the resolution, add mode7, add faces set, add better audio ect.

I will keep a running list of suggestions at the bottom of the topic.

also this topic is open for discussion/comments. feel free to express your op here

Photobucket album with updated screen shots of progress
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/ ... aker%20PY/

Features requested so far:

Undo/Redo support
Text Entry Limitation Fix
Collapsing event commands
Paint style Tileset set up
Preview a map in the editor
test passibility on a map in the editor
enhanced map tools: replace tiles, find tiles, select tiles form all over the tiles set to form a costume brush
a simple debugger for the script editor (find missing ends, ), } or tell you if there is to many)
enhanced event editor, ability to type out event code if you want
batch switch and variable replacement, replace switches and variables used in events with another in case you changed the uses of said switch or variable
virtual folders or groupings for organization of lists in the database
make weapons and armor equip-able by classes by groups
better batch text processing. can help you know when a line will run over by what font and size your using
wysiwyg editor for show test that can do mark up
better map zoom options
remove database limits

NOTICE:
Chaos-Project has started a communality project to create Advanced RPG Creator (ARC).

As I'm now one of the four core developer sworking on ARC this project has become redundant. the projects are merging and RMPY will form the base of the ARC editor. nothing has been lost, in fact much has been gained. now there are 4 people working on the project and it will come with a new better engine instead of just a better editor.

I hope people aren't disappointed because I'm not.

all the best ~ Ryex

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Python over, say, C++? Games using this engine will effectively be interpreted scripts running on top of other interpreted scripts. Aren't you concerned about performance issues?

Also, will you be using an updated version of the Ruby library than the one that's included in the editor? To my knowledge, that's one of the major performance hits in the engine.

yet again I have to point out that I'm ONLY making an editor. I may at one point make an engine in Python at which point the editor will make a good start but right now ONLY the editor it will create rxdata files the run on the normal game.exe (or ARGSS I guess).

Games using this engine will effectively be interpreted scripts running on top of other interpreted scripts. Aren't you concerned about performance issues?

all of that just to answer your question
the program will phrase Ruby scripts through Scintilla so that they can be edited like in RMXP by they will never be run. the engine will do that.
if ever I make a python based engine it will use Python for the scripts not Ruby.

Also, will you be using an updated version of the Ruby library than the one that's included in the editor? To my knowledge, that's one of the major performance hits in the engine.

thats correct and ARGSS strives to correct this among many other problems, but RMPY is ONLY an editor that strives to make the interface for the engine smother and easier to use

as for why I chose Python, it's because it is simpl and powerful and while I can use c++ I find using it... distasteful, its just to different from what I learned with and some of the way I would approach problems in Ruby or Python wouldn't work without a lot of overhead code that I simply don't feel like writing. also it is FAR easier to port something made in Python across platforms the same code written in Python to run on windows will run ANYWHERE the Python can be installed sure you have to be careful of file paths but that is simple compared to the complexity of cross platform programing in c++.
in addition to the above while I got in to C++ before I even considered python I found Python far easier to pick up. I started with Ruby and a little PHP then moved to C# and then th=o C++ and then learned VB to help a friend and THEN decided to learn Python the same day I decided to do a project like this. at first I wanted to do it in Ruby but after a lot of research I found that not only were the GUI libraries for Ruby in their infancy and unable to easily do what I wanted but Ruby programs have NO reliable method of distribution.

Issue Title: Map list box
Description: This is a minor issue but one that is easily fixed at this stage. Since you can only have one project open at a time, the folder just takes up an extra line in the map list box, it seems quite pointless. (called "RPG Maker PY Project" in this screen: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/ ... apture.png)
Suggestion: Just get rid of the folder and show map list by default. I dunno, it's just always seemed odd to me that such a small window is cluttered by a needless line.

Issue Title: Limits
Description: RMXP has a rather low limit if maps, stats, hp for enemies, etc etc.
Suggestion: Remove them or up them.

ah two very good suggestions that I'm surprised haven't been made yet.

@mouse what if you could make it so the list stored projects you have opened? would that be better? other wise I agree get rid of the top level folder.

I also just got an idea I could add buttons to better control how the maps are positioned in that list. that way we wouldn't have that annoying behavior of the maps always trying to be sub maps.

Issue Title: Obvious Errors
Description: The default editor includes some obvious errors in spelling and grammar, though most people tend to either ignore them or never notice in the first place. Most are found withing the self updating context dialogue at the bottom of the screen.
Suggestion: Thoroughly check for errors before release, and update if some are noted after release.

Also, I just wanted to throw out another suggestion. I was thinking that this might happen a lot faster if you released it on github, so people can work with you on it. I realize that this potentially means that things will be included that you didn't intend, but it would also be a more effective means of achieving your goal, which is to create an alternative editor featuring what the community wants to see. Plus, it gives people the opportunity to pick up the project if and when you stop working on it.

WEll I've released it on Source Forge it is really the same thing as github I even have code committed to SVN the link to the project is at the top of the page

as for your suggestion I agree, I think I've even come up with an easy way to fix them and even make it easy to change the language (provided some one translates it to said language) i'll use an .ini file to pull the text.

Ryexander, nice project, hope you can complete it :)

I'm just curious how will you handle serialized ruby data with python. All .rxdata files are serialized with ruby Marshal class, and if I'm not wrong that's incompatible with Python Marshal serializer.

this is true, however, I know some one who understands how the objects are serialized and they are going to write me a module that can decode it and return objects using eval.

ok two things still not working in the map display; first I need to get autotiles to work (they really should be working already but they just don't it is just bliting empty bitmaps), second I need to get blank event to use transparent images and clean up the event outlines.

here is a demonstration of the awesomeness so far
captureel.png

When I first saw this post, I thought "another editor project" and ignored it. Now I can see this project might actually have a future. I hope you keep working on it.

well after close to 8 strait hours of testing I FINALLY got autotiles to work, I have no idea why but apparently I needed a GraphicsContest and not just a normal MemoryDC in order to reliably blit bitmap data. oh and I needed a >= instead of just a > in one place *facepalm*.

captureimc.png

next up, increase the speed of my needredraw method and hopefully get rid of the white bar the appears on the edge when you scroll. and possibly figure out why the fire is green  :<_<:

Jason

Awesome Bro

Oh yes, I love the idea of having two maps open at the same time, it really helps with continuity, especially when one area is made up of multiple maps.

Also, say hi to this Neale guy for me, lol.

Jbrist":1uqxnyeb said:
Oh yes, I love the idea of having two maps open at the same time, it really helps with continuity, especially when one area is made up of multiple maps.

ya the more than one map at once thing was a major inspiration in the design. currently you can even have the same map open more than once might be useful if your working on a big map.

Jbrist":1uqxnyeb said:
Also, say hi to this Neale guy for me, lol.

lol bad timing on the screen shot.

Jason

Awesome Bro

So what you're saying is, if I have a map that's 100x100 tiles, I could have two winds open of this map, say, both showing 20x20 tiles, and different areas of the map? So I could edit multiple areas of a map without having to scroll around?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.