Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP.org's downtime: The whole story

Um...
Erk":xde8pz3u said:
...and although hostgator says they have a newer version, it is taking them days to answer emails. Their hosting is good, and I am not sure I want to get rid of that, but their service is amazingly poor.
Can I assume that WHEN (hope... hope) Hostgator restores the 'good/newer' backup, that the posts we are currently creating will be overwritten?

Anonymous

Yes, that would be correct. We will endevour to save them, but to be safe, everyone should be backing up any posts they make that they'd like to save.

wlzza

Sponsor

I was outstationed for the last 3 days, when I got back the server was down, and today, when I came back the server was up. However, the thing is all the post were dated back to September.

Well it takes committed people to pick the pieces up and forge a new era. My hat goes off to you erk and the support staff. Glad to be a sponsor.

Ah, nuts! There goes all that praise I got on my project! Kidding, of course. It sucks that we got hacked(again.), but I'm glad that you guys fixed it up(again.). Great super good work, y'all! :D

Kaoii

I'm glad you guys were able to get the forum back up and running again. You seem to not be having very good luck with your hosts =p It's a shame that hackers want to continue to try in vein to detract from this community.

Is there some sort of agreement that requires your host to have a current db backup, because if there is and they're being silent.. o.0

When this occurred, I checked out Creative Asylum. Their index page was replaced with a "This Site Has Been Hacked" or like screen. But the site caught on quickly... or at least later on that day, it was fixed. May be unrelated, but it would be odd seeing that they too were hacked on the same day.

Erk

Hmm, that is interesting Wolfman. We have some very strong leads on who hacked us (ie. we have their IP and it does not look like they used a proxy), I will share them with CA. Thanks for the heads up.

Erk

gah. The forum went down for 5 minutes there, and I almost had a heart attack; I was just in the middle of downloading the backup containing everything I just finished rebuilding on this database.

EDIT: Aaah, I see. When I try to download the backup through cpanel it freezes the database. Great system.

creiz

oh boy. talk about a workforce around a defective system. proud of you, erk and ccoa, and the others. we may be back in time, but i guess this isn't a problem. oh my. my sigs and bad-ass red-eyes avatar are GONE :| and my hard drive made a sound like a nuclear central shutting down to never boot again :O oh boy am i on a fix, here...

Good to see this site back online. I was about to loose all conciousness. It's a shame that silly people have no better deeds to acomplish than the disruption of the integrity of others simply because they have no life (Hackers)

It seems like hostgator really sucks. But it's all good now I'll asume. Hail the good fellas and fillies of RMX.org. Welcome back!

Cheers

Erk

Hostgator's support is very crappy, but I am loathe to change servers: they have been really reliable and fast for everything but support - and actually, other support problems have been dealt with promptly. We have about 7 tickets with them, and all but this one were serviced nicely. I was impressed with their support until this round. It could just be their Restores department, which is a separate branch of support in their system.

Kaito

I lost my posts... ;.;
But anyways...Great to see it's up again.
Why the hell does people love to hack this forum so much..?^^"

Anonymous

Better september than august :)

I just hope that the secret santa's going to work out okay.

It's great that the forums are back. But, the downtime did make me register on RPG-Palace, which seems a nice community.

( <-- Hey, Billie Joe is back. \/ And my ASS has gone. (Advanced Shrubbery System))

The hack passively killed my breathtaking signature and most of my submissions (which are three, sadly XD )... I want whoever caused this to pay! Why not post his/her adress and let people abuse the 2nd amendment a little... XD (I'm just kidding, folks... no power to non-melee weapons ;) )

Well, I hope the forum will be in it's (almost) old state again soon... and I'd like to second what stevo said in his first post here, you sure have put a lot of efford in this, and I know from personal experience that it's hard work to be a forum admin if you have problems going on...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.